What I Expect In Heaven

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

WebersHome
Guru

What I Expect In Heaven

Post #1

Post by WebersHome »

Personally I have no interest in the celestial element of the kingdom of Heaven. To me, it's a foreign country. I want to stay right here on earth during Messiah's 1,000 year administration and visit all the places to which I have never gone, do all the things I've never done, and see all the things I've never seen.

The new cosmos won't be constructed till after Messiah's millennial rein on this corrupt earth is over, and the great white throne event wraps. Which is fine with me 'cause there's a lot left to see and do that I won't get around to in this life. I plan on making very good use of those thousand years to tour ever square inch of this planet-- on land and sea.

Can you just imagine having free rein of this planet with an immortal body and perpetual youth, and no fear of war, violence, poisonous snakes, toxic insects, or wild animals!? I can hardly wait. One of the first things I want to do in Messiah's kingdom is hike the triple crown: the Pacific Coast Trail, The Continental Divide Trail, and the Appalachian Trail. Yeah, Cirque of the Towers here I come!!!

People hike the big trails for a variety of personal reasons. Some march thru like soldiers to get it done and chalked up, while other's take their time and savor every minute of the adventure-- all the sights, sounds, smells, and wild things that they encounter along the way: even the dirt, the dust, the bugs, the hazards, and the discomforts. They are in no hurry to get done because if they hurry, they might miss something.

YouTube adventurer Jennifer Mabus (a.k.a. Starburst) is one of those. She even stopped for a while to watch two small lizards battle out a territorial dispute. Hiker trash passing by thought she was nuts and wasting time; but Jennifer was in Nirvana, so to speak.

Well; that's me. I want the whole nine yards. Charging ahead to the end of one of those wonderful trails is just not my idea of a heavenly good time.

Ps 16:11 . . You will make known to me the path of life; in Your presence is fullness of joy; in Your right hand there are pleasures forever.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Re: What I Expect In Heaven

Post #21

Post by WebersHome »

Human intelligence is produced by a three-pound lump of flabby organic tissue housed within our bony little skulls; and not even all three of those pounds are utilized for cognitive processes-- in point of fact, something like 60% of the human brain's mass is fat.

The IQ of roughly 67% of the population falls between 85 and 115 while 2½% lies above 130 and another 2½% lies below 70. Apparently the remaining 28% fall between 70 and 85.

A very bright magazine columnist called Marilyn vos Savant (a.k.a. Marilyn Mach) has an IQ ranging between 180 and 228; depending on the testing method and/or who evaluates it.

Point being; there are elements of the Christian religion that make no sense at all; not even to the brightest minds. For one: all of Adam's posterity were made sinners the very moment that he tasted the forbidden fruit as if they were right there tasting it with him in real time. For another: one man's crucifixion satisfied the justice of God for all the evil that humanity has committed in the past, all that humanity is now committing, and all evil yet to be committed in the future-- the totality of humanity's evil from first to last: all of it.

The IQ of the brain I have now cannot even begin to comprehend the logic of those two elements. However, the Bible predicts that Jesus' followers are on track to be given a body patterned after the supernatural body that he was given some time after his resurrection. Well; I anticipate obtaining an improved IQ with that body so's I can comprehend some, and maybe even all, of Christianity's remarkable mysteries.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #22

Post by WebersHome »

According to Luke 16:19-31 it was possible at one time to communicate with one's family should they have perchance ended up on the wrong side of things.

Well; I sincerely hope that's still permitted because there are certain of my loved ones and BFFs with whom I would very much like to spend some time with before they are exiled forever in the lake of brimstone depicted by Rev 20:11-15.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #23

Post by WebersHome »

Only people with Heaven locked in have reason to expect anything there; everyone else is crossing their fingers for the best while in the back of their minds dreading the worst. And it's likely many haven't given Heaven much thought seeing as how in their minds even just getting there is a pipe dream, especially since the Bible says the majority passsing on to the other side haven't been making the cut.

Luke 13:22-24 . . And he went through the cities and villages, teaching, and journeying toward Jerusalem. Then said one unto him, master, are there few that be saved? And he said unto them: Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

Matt 7:13-14 . . Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Matt 22:14 . . For many are called, but few are chosen.
_

Diagoras
Guru

Post #24

Post by Diagoras »

WebersHome wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:11 am I expect to be quarantined upon arrival and shuttled off to a sort of Bible gulag where I'll undergo intense indoctrination
Presumably there’s a risk that you might never be capable of learning enough to be allowed ‘out into the general population’, thus confining you to eternal schooling in the gulag.

Sounds like fun!

WebersHome
Guru

Post #25

Post by WebersHome »

In the story told at Luke 16:19-31, a beggar was transported by angels to a pleasant afterlife location. I'm a little curious why the Bible doesn't say how Christians are transported to where they're going when they die. It's possible that the beggar's transportation is the way it's always been, and to this day still is.

Well; I have a question about that because when people pass away, they separate from the material elements of their existence, i.e. the solid parts. What is there for the angels to take hold of when we're ghosts?

I'm not sure that I won't be frightened out of my wits coming to on the other side with celestial beings standing around watching me take my last breath. The first words out of their mouths had better be "Fear not" or I'm liable to freak out like a bi-polar gorilla.
_

Diagoras
Guru

Post #26

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to WebersHome in post #25]

I suppose it's of interest to imagine how angels can 'take hold' of ghosts. In the same vein, having no 'material parts', any ghost would have trouble seeing the angels, as you need a retina to interact with the photons of light emitted by angels and whatnot. Maybe 'celestial light' plays by different rules than light in the real world?

Same for mouths to form sounds (usually done by air passing over vocal chords) and ears to hear them. Ghosts would be deaf and dumb unless the angels are just using some form of telepathy. Tempting to imagine that, but then how are the ghosts going to reply? Do they inherit some telepathic ability along with their immaterial, ghostly self?

And since the physical sensation of fear is caused by chemicals like adrenaline coursing through your body, and electrical signals in your brain, I reckon ghosts should actually be totally fearless.

And without thought as well, of course.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #27

Post by WebersHome »

The laws of physics that apply here apparently don't apply there. I wouldn't be surprised if the afterlife consists of a periodic table of elements heretofore unknown.
_

WebersHome
Guru

Post #28

Post by WebersHome »

John 14:2 . . In my Father's house are many private rooms . . I go to prepare a place for you.

The nicer hotels usually decorate rooms with flowers and even leave some candy mints on pillows. Well; a Christian I met some years ago said he expects his cat to be waiting for him in the room Jesus is setting up.

My two favorite pets were the Collie I had as a boy, and the Guinea pig I had as a grown up. I'd be overjoyed beyond words if they were there waiting for my arrival. That would be a nice touch.

I heard of a little girl once who said she knew her mommy loved her because when called in for lunch, there on the plate alongside a sandwich would always be one of her favorite cookies.

When my son was in elementary school, I got in the habit of making Fridays special for him by setting up a TV dinner table by the door with either a toy, a game, or a goody placed there to make him glad to be coming home. Honestly; I expect no less from Jesus because I am going to need a lot of encouragement and consolation while getting settled in new surroundings.
_

Diagoras
Guru

Post #29

Post by Diagoras »

WebersHome wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:52 amThe laws of physics that apply here apparently don't apply there. I wouldn't be surprised if the afterlife consists of a periodic table of elements heretofore unknown.
It does seem odd: on the one hand, those who believe in an afterlife often airily proclaim an entirely new physics, while we also hear the ‘fine-tuning’ argument which surely casts doubt on such ‘flexibility’.

Along with so-called explanations like ‘God moves in mysterious ways’, this is another example of how some adults will deny reason, logic and common knowledge in favour of nothing more than childish fantasy.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #30

Post by WebersHome »

Gen 11:1 . . Everyone on earth had the same language and the same words.

The Hebrew word for "language" is from saphah (saw-faw') which means: the lip. The one for "words" is from dabar (daw-baw') which means: a word (as spoken or written)

Spoken languages are a combination of words and lips; viz: vocabulary and pronunciation, i.e. accent and inflection. It's one thing to know the words of a language, but it is quite another to speak them with the correct pronunciation. In that day, everyone used the same words and spoke them alike.

Gen 11:6-9 . . and The Lord said: If, as one people with one language for all, this is how they have begun to act, then nothing that they may propose to do will be out of their reach. Let us, then, go down and confound their speech there, so that they shall not understand one another's speech.

. . .Thus The Lord scattered them from there over the face of the whole earth; and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel, because there the Lord confounded the speech of the whole earth; and from there the Lord scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

That event is handy for showing that languages aren't indelible. In other words; it's possible that folks in Heaven have returned to the point where everyone is speaking the same language and the same words; which would go a long ways towards solidifying unity.
_