Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I recently heard this definition of atheism:
"Atheism is the condition of not believing that a God or deity exists."
I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. The only issue I have with is its singular nature. Perhaps, Atheism is the condition of not believing that any gods or deities exist, would be better.

Is this a good definition?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Re: Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #2

Post by William »

I understand atheism as belief that we do not exist within a creation.

brunumb
Savant

Post #3

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I think the definition is just fine as it is. If the singular applies then, to me, the plural naturally follows anyway.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:09 am I understand atheism as belief that we do not exist within a creation.
I didn't ask what you or any other poster understands atheism as. I asked if the definition I presented is a good one. If you think it is not, please provide sound reasoning as to why it isn't. If you agree with it, please explain why.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:33 am [Replying to Tcg in post #1]

I think the definition is just fine as it is. If the singular applies then, to me, the plural naturally follows anyway.
Yes, that makes sense. I must add too that I heard this argument spoken not written down so I'm not sure if the creator of it would have capitalized "god" or not. Perhaps it is a minor issue, but at least in the U.S. and perhaps other so called Western countries it would speak specifically of the Christian God. Atheism covers not just that one god.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 am .
I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. The only issue I have with is its singular nature. Perhaps, Atheism is the condition of not believing that any gods or deities exist, would be better.

I think the older, atheism means person claims god's don't exist, is more accurate. This modern sounds more like agnosticism.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:45 am

I think the older, atheism means person claims god's don't exist, is more accurate. This modern sounds more like agnosticism.
Well, no. Agnosticism addresses knowledge not belief. Even theists can be agnostic, that is they don't claim to know whether or not god/gods exist. They may claim to believe, but not to know.

And what you refer to as the older meaning doesn't accurately describe me. I don't claim that gods don't exist and yet I am an atheist. I am not convinced gods exist. Its rather straight forward.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Goose
Guru

Post #8

Post by Goose »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 am "Atheism is the condition of not believing that a God or deity exists."

I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods.

I think the trouble with both these definitions is that they are not particularly meaningful. Reducing atheism to such a broad definition as a lack of belief or the condition of not believing in God/gods inadvertently captures dogs and trees as atheists since they likewise lack a belief in God/gods. One wonders why atheists have, in recent years, watered down the definition of atheism to a lack of belief. I can’t help but think it’s to excuse the atheist from having to defend disbelief.

Even the American Atheists site where you’ve taken the definition in your signature doesn’t seem to be consistent in its own understanding of atheism. Taken from that site...

”Atheism is one thing: A lack of belief in gods.”

“Atheism is not a belief system nor is it a religion.”

“Atheism is about what you believe.”

If atheism about what you believe (according to the American Atheists it is), then atheism is the belief that God/gods do not exist. If atheism is a lack of belief, then atheism is not about what you believe. But Atheism is about what you believe (according to American Atheists). Therefore, atheism is not a lack of belief.

:confused2:
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Goose in post #8]

Oh, my goodness. Not the "dogs and trees" are atheists argument! At least you didn't include rocks. Atheists are humans, not dogs or trees or rocks or chairs etc. etc. etc. Of course, maybe dogs are smart enough to be atheists, who knows. Trees? I'm not under the impression they hold any positions about anything at all.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Inquirer »

It's utility depends on why you want to be known as an "atheist". There are several different definitions of atheism, I know of atheists who affirm (they are absolutely convinced) there is no God, that's their position and they will argue their case, they frown upon these flimsy definitions like yours above.
Last edited by Inquirer on Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.