Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I recently heard this definition of atheism:
"Atheism is the condition of not believing that a God or deity exists."
I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. The only issue I have with is its singular nature. Perhaps, Atheism is the condition of not believing that any gods or deities exist, would be better.

Is this a good definition?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:20 pm
It's utility depends on why you want to be known as an "atheist".
I identify as an atheist because I am an atheist. It's not terribly complex.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #22

Post by William »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:38 am
William wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:09 am I understand atheism as belief that we do not exist within a creation.
I didn't ask what you or any other poster understands atheism as.
Not in those words, but clearly when someone asks such a question, the invitation is there for others to give their understanding...
I asked if the definition I presented is a good one.
It is not.
If you think it is not, please provide sound reasoning as to why it isn't.
It gets down to cart before horse.

The the lack of belief in god/gods or not believing that any gods or deities exist, is the cart aspect of The Question.

The horse aspect is whether we exist within a creation or not.

What is the position of atheism re that?

Tcg
Savant

Post #23

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:35 pm
It is not.
Why not?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #23]

Already answered ...

Tcg
Savant

Post #25

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:43 pm
Well if a belief is not a statement about knowing, then what is the difference between:

I do not believe there is a God
I do believe there is no God

There is no difference is there...
Ignoring the odd grammar in this reply. The difference is that one can be not convinced that something exists without being convinced that it doesn't exist. I'm not convinced that an invisible purple people eating machine exists. That doesn't mean that I'm convinced that it doesn't. Two totally different issues.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #26

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:56 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #23]

Already answered ...
So, your answer is the cart before the horse. Did I miss anything?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #27

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:54 am .
I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. The only issue I have with is its singular nature. Perhaps, Atheism is the condition of not believing that any gods or deities exist, would be better.

- American Atheists
In as much as

a. the meaning of "not" and "lack of" are essentially equivalent in the two definitions,

b. the "exists" in the first definition is a given condition in the second definition,

c. that "deity" has no business being in the first definition.

d. the plural "gods" in the second definition is superfluous.

(e. I see the indefinite article "a" in the first definition as a matter of personal expression. Use it. Don't use it.)

Resulting in:

1. "Atheism is t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ not believing that a God o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶i̶t̶y̶ exists."

and

2. "Atheism is a lack of belief in gods̶."

I see no meaningful difference between "Atheism is not believing that a God exists." and "Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of god."

Tcg
Savant

Post #28

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:29 pm

- American Atheists
In as much as

a. the meaning of "not" and "lack of" are essentially equivalent in the two definitions,

b. the "exists" in the first definition is a given condition in the second definition,

Resulting in:

1. "Atheism is t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶d̶i̶t̶i̶o̶n̶ ̶o̶f̶ not believing that a God o̶r̶ ̶d̶e̶i̶t̶y̶ exists."

and

I see no meaningful difference between "Atheism is not believing that a God exists." and "Atheism is a lack of belief in the existence of god."

I agree, but the former may be easier to comprehend than the latter. For whatever reason, some are confused about or perhaps even intentionally try to confuse what it means to be an atheist. I'm just wondering if the definition I presented would help people understand what atheism actually is.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm

- American Atheists
In as much as

Resulting in:

and

I agree, but the former may be easier to comprehend than the latter. For whatever reason, some are confused about or perhaps even intentionally try to confuse what it means to be an atheist. I'm just wondering if the definition I presented would help people understand what atheism actually is.

Tcg
Personally, I like the use of the word "lack" because it indicates a willingness to consider the possibility that god does exist. My particular position.

Tcg
Savant

Post #30

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:46 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:37 pm

- American Atheists
In as much as

Resulting in:

and

Tcg
Personally, I like the use of the word "lack" because it indicates a willingness to consider the possibility that god does exist. My particular position.

Yes, I hold that position too. I'm just trying to see if we can find a definition that would clarify what atheists are. One that wouldn't lead others to claim that rocks or trees or whatnot are also atheists. It appears however that no matter how we describe it there will be those who intend to misdescribe it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom