Ancient morality

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Willum
Savant

Ancient morality

Post #1

Post by Willum »

Transponder and the nice centurion felt it necessary to pollute the original topic,
So here it is, reposted, hopefully they will carry on on that one, and the rest of us can discuss the subject.

Please note, challenging assumptions is one thing, destroying a topic because of your own personal ignorance, is rude, and not at all nice.

The Ancient Greeks recognized the immorality of Zeus; who sent floods, plagues, enacted cruel transformations, etc., and the Greeks responded by labeling Zeus and the other gods immoral.
They further responded by creating a code of morality for people that did not involve deities.

The Greeks saw their gods without morals, and so created their own.

Whereas the Ancient Hebrew and modern day Judaists and Christians see identical or similar acts by their god, and rather then decry these acts as malevolent, defend them as being benevolent.

For debate: The Ancient Greeks were more mature and moral than modern Judaists and Christians.

Willum
Savant

Re: Ancient morality

Post #11

Post by Willum »

[Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #10]

I did not acknowledge your authority to dismiss what was provided, and have seen nothing worthwhile from you countering what I provided.

You lose.

otseng
Savant

Post #12

Post by otseng »

Willum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:06 am [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #4]

As mentioned, you are not an authority to dismiss premises based on your hubris, AND I don’t recall you providing evidence to the contrary.

I do recall predicting you would invoke your ignorance as a reason to dismiss the topic, then state the few,of many references I provided would be insufficient for your lordship.
So…
I gave you a topic to deface all over and you come over to do this one too.
I guess your avoidance and terror of the subject is the reason.
:warning: Moderator Final Warning

Please cease from the personal attacks and review the Rules.

Moderator final warnings serve as the last strike towards users. Additional violations will result in a probation vote. Further infractions will lead to banishment. Any challenges or replies to moderator warnings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Nice Centurion
Sage

Post #13

Post by The Nice Centurion »

Willum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:12 am [Replying to The Nice Centurion in post #10]

I did not acknowledge your authority to dismiss what was provided, and have seen nothing worthwhile from you countering what I provided.

You lose.
If you want to know my reasons for doubting your speculations, I can elaborate.
Your topic arguments a lot of chliches and they do not become fact from claiming Julius Caesar was an ancient greek. His consort Cleopatra was greek, so perhaps you are confusing there.

I also see them as christian chliches, because the christian world had to deal somehow with the memory of greek polytheism.
I suspect christian churches found it easier attack greek gods indirectly by claiming even their believers declared them unjust!
“If you give a man a fish, you feed him for a day. But if you drown a man in a fish pond, he will never have to go hungry again🐟

"Only Experts in Reformed Egyptian should be allowed to critique the Book of Mormon❗"

"Joseph Smith can't possibly have been a deceiver.
For if he had been, the Angel Moroni never would have taken the risk of enthrusting him with the Golden Plates❗"

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Willum wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:46 pm
The Greeks saw their gods without morals...

Whereas the Ancient Hebrew and modern day Judaists and Christians see identical or similar acts by their god, and rather then decry these acts as malevolent, defend them as being benevolent.

I disagree, there is nothing ammoral or immoral about the God of the bible. His act are depicted as entirely just and good and never is YHWH depicted as engaging in malevolent acts.

To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, THE DIVINE NAME and ...THE DIVINE PERSONALITY
PSALM 103:8 - Young's Literal Translation

Merciful and gracious is Jehovah, Slow to anger, and abundant in mercy
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Willum
Savant

Post #15

Post by Willum »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #14]

You couldn't muster another opinion or perspective even if you wanted to.
That's brainwashing for you.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Willum in post #16]
You couldn't muster another opinion or perspective even if you wanted to.
Moderator Comment

Please refrain from personal attacks (review the forum Rules).

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics..
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #17

Post by TRANSPONDER »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 pm
Willum wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:46 pm
The Greeks saw their gods without morals...

I disagree, there is nothing ammoral or immoral about the God of the bible. His act are depicted as entirely just and good and never is YHWH depicted as engaging in malevolent acts.

PSALM 103:8 - Young's Literal Translation

Merciful and gracious is Jehovah, Slow to anger, and abundant in mercy
The acts of the god of the Bible in the OT are often vile, reprehensible and immoral by any morality that makes sense to us, and even God repented of doing the Flood and said that he would never do it again (leaving a Nuclear armageddon still an option, though) and the apologetic that he regretted having to do it but it was necessary won't wash (were anyone to try it) because he (being Unchanging) would do it again if needed regret it though he might. He said that he would Not do it again. It was wrong, overkill and unjustified, and he knew it, afterwards if not before (which not only means the act was immoral to God as much as to us, but to him as well. It also means the taie makes no sense, which is why it doesn't mean that atheists think God is immoral, but we think the Bible is not beleivable and the god depicted in it cannot logically be true.

The propaganda that says that God's acts are good and Just is just that - propaganda as dirty and deserving the bin as much as anything that came out of the state presses of a dictatorship.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #18

Post by Diagoras »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:45 pm I disagree, there is nothing ammoral or immoral about the God of the bible. His act are depicted as entirely just and good and never is YHWH depicted as engaging in malevolent acts.
I understood the Bible was believed (by Christians) to be God’s word, and not just a collection of stories, laws and histories from one Bronze Age tribe. So it seems a rather weak argument to suggest that such a book would be an objective source for God’s character.

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Willum wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:13 am ...
You have simply said that the Greeks had more insight than you do,...
Please explain why do you think so?

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 am That is a darling christian view and is promoted in the HERCULES Kevin Sorbo series.
My idea comes from old books. But, if you think it is not correct, please tell, where would we get the right idea of the moral of Greek gods?
The Nice Centurion wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:07 amWhy then gives it todays christians so many headaches to explain their gods crimes as perfectly moral.
What crimes?