Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

oldbadger
Guru

Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Post #1

Post by oldbadger »

I propose that the laws of Moses (or the Old Testament if you prefer), all 613 of them were the most amazing piece of legislation for the purpose of producing a safe, secure, healthy, fast growing, cohesive and successful people...... back in those days.

I would like to show a law each day that might help to support my claim, and if any members might like to post up laws for discussion as well then that would be great. Many of those laws still exist in the local and national laws where I live.

My offer for today is clear guidance to 'keep these laws and prosper or ignore them and fail those who were there before.'

LEVITCUS {20:22} Ye shall therefore keep all my statutes, and all my judgments, and do them: that the land, whither I bring you to dwell therein, spue you not out. {20:23} And ye shall not walk in the manners of the nation, which I cast out before you: for they committed all these things, and therefore I abhorred them. {20:24} But I have said unto you, Ye shall inherit their land, and I will give it unto you to possess it, a land that floweth with milk and honey: I [am] the LORD your God, which have separated you from [other] people.
Last edited by oldbadger on Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Are the Laws of Moses amazing legislation for that time?

Post #21

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #19]

I see. Your proposal boils down to that the Law of Moses is better than the one other code you are willing to reference. Not a terribly comprehensive proposal, but okay.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

oldbadger
Guru

Post #22

Post by oldbadger »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:20 am
I see. Your proposal boils down to that the Law of Moses is better than the one other code you are willing to reference. Not a terribly comprehensive proposal, but okay.

Tcg
I just think that they are amazing for their time. Tomorrow I will show the law that requires balustrades around roof tops to protect folks from falling and hurting themselves. Thousands of years later and that is a law here in the UK.

Brilliant.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #23

Post by oldbadger »

For today, (as promised yesterday)

Deuteronomy {22:8} When thou buildest a new house, then thou shalt make a battlement for thy roof, that thou bring not blood upon thine house, if any man fall from thence.

And so, just as our local bylaws require all flat roofs to be balustraded to protect anybody who might need to go up on to them, so the Laws of Moses provided for exactly the same law and for exactly the same purpose. This helps me to recognise that mankind wrote these laws, simply because they are so 'down to earth'. And in their time they were a most amazing piece of legislation.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #24

Post by oldbadger »

For today:-

Deuteronomy {8:10} When thou hast eaten and art full, then thou shalt bless the LORD thy God for the good land which he hath given thee.

This was law for the Israelites in ancient times, and it seems that Christianity (and maybe other religions?) followed it as well, simply giving thanks for everything. Obviously there is no need for agnostics or atheists to thank gods that they don't believe in for their food, health or good luck, but many folks do give value to every minute in their lives and every fortune that they benefit from, regardless of what they believe in.

I appreciate every day of my life.....true. And so the above law from back then makes perfect sense, for back then and for some of us today.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #25

Post by oldbadger »

Leviticus {19:14} Thou shalt not curse the deaf, nor put a stumblingblock before the blind, but shalt fear thy God: I [am] the LORD.

These laws recognised the need for strength and ability to support (all!) weaknesses and disabilities........ everybody was a part of the whole; togetherness was the cohesive force. Where I live I can see some of the people of all generations dismissing, ignoring, snubbing even making fun of various disabilities and weaknesses...... The Laws of Moses forbade this.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #26

Post by oldbadger »

Deuteronomy {24:5} When a man hath taken a new wife, he shall not go out to war, neither shall he be charged with any business: [but] he shall be free at home one year, and shall cheer up his wife which he hath taken.

A great law for the purpose of helping to produce a fast growing nation, and thus more secure and safe.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #27

Post by oldbadger »

Deuteronomy: {19:15} One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

One witness's evidence is not enough for a conviction..........

Where I live the evidence of one witness can convict, but in Scotland this is not enough and corroborating evidence is required; today that doesn't have to be the testimony of a second witness because a wider range of forensic evidence can be available for scrutiny.

But the Laws of Moses were written with knowledge of human nature, it seems. A good law, imo.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #28

Post by oldbadger »

Deuteronomy {15:7} If there be among you a poor man of one of thy brethren within any of thy gates in thy land which the LORD thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not harden thine heart, nor shut thine hand from thy poor brother: {15:8} But thou shalt open thine hand wide unto him, and shalt surely lend him sufficient for his need, [in that] which he wanteth.

Providence for all, regardless of ability or disability, the first rule of communal cohesion.

The Laws of Moses.......... what an amazing legislation, eh?

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

One per day you promised. Looking forward to more. :thanks:
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Post #30

Post by Wootah »

oldbadger wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:55 am Deuteronomy: {19:15} One witness shall not rise up against a man for any iniquity, or for any sin, in any sin that he sinneth: at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.

One witness's evidence is not enough for a conviction..........

Where I live the evidence of one witness can convict, but in Scotland this is not enough and corroborating evidence is required; today that doesn't have to be the testimony of a second witness because a wider range of forensic evidence can be available for scrutiny.

But the Laws of Moses were written with knowledge of human nature, it seems. A good law, imo.
Also why disciples went out in pairs.

Also evidence of the Trinity. Father Spirit testify to Jesus.

Two witnesses in revelation.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."