Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

I recently heard this definition of atheism:
"Atheism is the condition of not believing that a God or deity exists."
I think it is clearer than the one I usually espouse which is that atheism is the lack of belief in god/gods. The only issue I have with is its singular nature. Perhaps, Atheism is the condition of not believing that any gods or deities exist, would be better.

Is this a good definition?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Goose
Guru

Re: Is this an Accurate and Easily understood definition of Atheism?

Post #71

Post by Goose »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 am
historia wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pmIf you agree with that, then would you also agree that, on a forum like this one, where the question of God's existence is regularly debated and the distinction between various stances on that question are meaningful, it would be disadvantageous to collapse two different positions under a single term?
I don't agree, since here we are debating arguments for/against Christianity, the 'unsure' would also side with the 'no.'
I think that's demonstrably false. I am "unsure" if by "unsure" you mean something like not certain and yet I am "yes" if by "yes" you mean something like "I believe that God exists." I won't speak for historia but I suspect he is the same.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #72

Post by Bust Nak »

[Replying to Goose in post #71]

You are firmly on the 'yes' side. The 'unsure' would also side with the 'no.'

Goose
Guru

Post #73

Post by Goose »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 amThe 'unsure' would also side with the 'no.'
I just proved that false. I am 'unsure' yet I also side with the 'yes'.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #74

Post by Bust Nak »

Goose wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:56 am
Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:37 amThe 'unsure' would also side with the 'no.'
You said you believe in god, that's not 'unsure.' You are a 'yes, I am convinced god exists' siding with 'yes.'

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #75

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I Interpret that as being the situation we are all in - nobody knows (we are all agnostic) but you understand that you don't know. I don't know where you are with regard to interpretation of the evidence and arguments, but you opt for 'Yes' (for whatever reason).

I get Bust Nak too :D If one does not know the logical default is to Not believe until one has good reason to believe or at least (as you do) lean to the affermative side. I can hope that you have given both sides of the evidential case a fair whack.

It will be understood that saying that one opts for belief, or for non -belief is just background. It is only when the case is made for why one believes or does not that there is anything useful being said.

Goose
Guru

Post #76

Post by Goose »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:04 am
You said you believe in god, that's not 'unsure.'
Yes I believe in God. I'm also 'unsure'.
Things atheists say:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #77

Post by Bust Nak »

Goose wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:33 am Yes I believe in God. I'm also 'unsure'.
How can you be unsure if you are convinced that god exists or not, AND is convinced that god exists at the same time? You can't - these are mutually exclusive positions. Pick one.

Goose
Guru

Post #78

Post by Goose »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:51 am
Goose wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:33 am Yes I believe in God. I'm also 'unsure'.
How can you be unsure...
Because I've defined 'unsure' as something like not certain. So I believe that God exists yet I am not certain.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to define what you mean by 'unsure'.
Things atheists say:

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #79

Post by Bust Nak »

Goose wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:12 am Because I've defined 'unsure' as something like not certain. So I believe that God exists yet I am not certain.

Maybe it would be helpful for you to define what you mean by 'unsure'.
"Not certain" is fine, but not certain about what though? The question was "are you convinced God exists?" In light of that question, 'unsure' means you are not certain if you are convinced or not convinced. You believe that God exists, that's a yes, you are convinced.

historia
Prodigy

Post #80

Post by historia »

Bust Nak wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:02 am
historia wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:35 pm
If you agree with that, then would you also agree that, on a forum like this one, where the question of God's existence is regularly debated and the distinction between various stances on that question are meaningful, it would be disadvantageous to collapse two different positions under a single term?
I don't agree, since here we are debating arguments for/against Christianity, the 'unsure' would also side with the 'no.'
But so would the 'yes' who just aren't Christians, like Jews or Muslims.

The terms 'atheist' and 'agnostic' are meant to articulate ones position with regard to the proposition of God's existence. Collapsing them under one label so as to group those people together when evaluating other propositions, like whether Christianity is true or not, seems dubious when we already have labels that more accurately group people together on these other questions, like 'non-Christian', for example.

Also, not every discussion on this forum is strictly for/against Christianity, like the broad question of whether God exists, or, you know, this thread. In many of those discussions, the distinction between atheism and agnosticism remain important, as you already agreed.

So I don't see a compelling reason in your responses to collapse them together.