The problem of evil

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

The problem of evil

Post #1

Post by William »

Q: Is the statement "Then there is "The problem of evil"" one of fact or conjecture? [science or opinion] In realty, does such a problem actually exist?
The problem of evil refers to the challenge of reconciling belief in an omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient God, with the existence of evil and suffering in the world. eta:{SOURCE}
Last edited by William on Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Diagoras
Guru

Re: The problem of evil

Post #21

Post by Diagoras »

1213 wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:35 am Murder, rape and torture are evil and wrong. People should not do those. But, evil is not a problem, because it is just a temporary thing
Let’s follow your logic. Murder is evil. Evil is not a problem because it is temporary. So the person who’s been murdered only has a ‘temporary’ problem? Is that it?

1213 wrote:The story <Genesis> tells they wanted to know evil.
That’s an inaccurate claim. Genesis 3:6 actually says:
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
<bolding mine>

The distinction is important because Eve here is clearly motivated to attain wisdom - something that the Bible places great store in. See for example, James 1:5, Proverbs 4:7 and Proverbs 16:16.

1213 wrote:What do you think soul is?
Well, James Brown said, “You only live once” and he was the godfather of soul. Seems about right to me.

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:02 pm
And when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was pleasant to the eyes, and a tree to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit thereof, and did eat, and gave also unto her husband with her; and he did eat.
<bolding mine>

The distinction is important because Eve here is clearly motivated to attain wisdom - something that the Bible places great store in. See for example, James 1:5, Proverbs 4:7 and Proverbs 16:16.
And what does the wisdom mean? It means the knowledge of good and evil, because:

...for God knows that in the day you eat it, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit of it, and ate; and she gave some to her husband with her, and he ate...
Gen. 3:5-6

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #23

Post by TRANSPONDER »

1213 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:58 am
<bolding mine>

And what does the wisdom mean? It means the knowledge of good and evil, because:

...for God knows that in the day you eat it, your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.” When the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of the fruit of it, and ate; and she gave some to her husband with her, and he ate...
No.That isn't wisdom. It is knowledge. Something is known. Wisdom is understanding and the Bible has never been great on understanding. It rather shakes its' head over Understanding and the Wise, and prefers unquestioning trust in whatever they are told to do, like little children.

Without getting into the whole Eden fairy story and how (if one credited it) it had to be set up by God to make sure humans sinned and died, the message is, don't think and do what you are told. Anything else is sin. Of course, I reckon the whole thing is to get over the problem of Evil. God's creation has to be perfect, so why isn't it? Answer - blame Man. The story designed to make Man to blame for Evil, is not only wrong (according to science) but incredibly shoddy, but that has never bothered the believers.

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

I thought I would post these evidential results - things I have on my list to date which correspond mathematically with the word-string "The problem of evil"...

The problem of evil = 183
[183]
Fling That Veil Aside
Learn to trust
Transformation
Embracing your life
Test The Waters
Team Witch-Wizard
Elemental Powers
The brain as a receiver
The Hubble Telescope
Manifest Destiny
Sister Saturn
Children of The Light
Planned obsolescence
Cosmic Pluralism
Truthfulness
Hydrogen and helium

One Eight Three = 139

[139]
Awakening Love

Savant

Post #25

Post by 1213 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 am
1213 wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:58 am
<bolding mine>

No.That isn't wisdom. It is knowledge. Something is known....
But they are usually connected, wisdom can come when person knows, which is why I think Eve connected the knowledge to wisdom in that.
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 amWisdom is understanding and the Bible has never been great on understanding. It rather shakes its' head over Understanding and the Wise, and prefers unquestioning trust in whatever they are told to do, like little children.
I think that is silly and ignorant claim, because Bible says:

Instead, test everything. Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.
First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

If therefore they tell you, ‘Behold, he is in the wilderness,’ don’t go out; ‘Behold, he is in the inner chambers,’ don’t believe it.
Matt. 24:26

Beloved, don’t believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world.
1 Joh. 4:1

Now the natural man doesn’t receive the things of God’s Spirit, for they are foolishness to him, and he can’t know them, because they are spiritually discerned. But he who is spiritual discerns all things, and he himself is judged by no one. “For who has known the mind of the Lord, that he should instruct him?” But we have Christ’s mind.
1 Kor. 2:13-16
TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 amWithout getting into the whole Eden fairy story and how (if one credited it) it had to be set up by God to make sure humans sinned and died, the message is, don't think and do what you are told. Anything else is sin.
I don't think there is anything in the Bible to support that claim.

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

Atheist: [Statements about the Bible and stuff like that]

[Replying to 1213 in post #25]
Theist: I don't think there is anything in the Bible to support that claim.
William: Maybe it isn't really a claim but just a statement of opinion...

[593]
Opinion is that which has yet to be established as a matter of fact
Is the statement one of fact or conjecture? [science or opinion]
Maybe it isn't really a claim but just a statement of opinion...

Diagoras
Guru

Post #27

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to 1213 in post #22]
I wrote:
1213 wrote:Murder, rape and torture are evil and wrong. People should not do those. But, evil is not a problem, because it is just a temporary thing
Let’s follow your logic. Murder is evil. Evil is not a problem because it is temporary. So the person who’s been murdered only has a ‘temporary’ problem? Is that it?
I noticed that you didn’t answer the first question in my post. Would you care to do so now?

Tcg
Savant

Post #28

Post by Tcg »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:58 am
No.That isn't wisdom. It is knowledge. Something is known. Wisdom is understanding and the Bible has never been great on understanding. It rather shakes its' head over Understanding and the Wise, and prefers unquestioning trust in whatever they are told to do, like little children.

Without getting into the whole Eden fairy story and how (if one credited it) it had to be set up by God to make sure humans sinned and died, the message is, don't think and do what you are told. Anything else is sin. Of course, I reckon the whole thing is to get over the problem of Evil. God's creation has to be perfect, so why isn't it? Answer - blame Man. The story designed to make Man to blame for Evil, is not only wrong (according to science) but incredibly shoddy, but that has never bothered the believers.
Yes, and also the serpent who became or was also Satan. It's not God's fault the serpent (who God put in the garden) deceived them. So, its human's and Satan's fault. God remains the ultimate Teflon don. Or even later during the flood and other genocides, the Teflon Hitler character.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #29

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #28]

I am an atheist in relation to anyone's interpretation of characterizations of any gods.

I lack belief in those gods so much, that interpretation of characterizations of those gods is beside the point.

Savant

Post #30

Post by 1213 »

Diagoras wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:32 pm [Replying to 1213 in post #22]
I wrote:
1213 wrote:Murder, rape and torture are evil and wrong. People should not do those. But, evil is not a problem, because it is just a temporary thing
I noticed that you didn’t answer the first question in my post. Would you care to do so now?
Murder is wrong, but not a problem, because this life is just temporary phase anyway. Murdered person could have eternal life with God after this, that is why I think it is just a temporary problem.