evolutionary attack

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

evolutionary attack

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is there a word for when one creature convinces another creature to not do something in its evolutionary interest?

Like when a cuckoo bird takes over a nest and the other bird feeds it thinking it is feeding its children?

Or more to my point, if I can convince someone they are gay or should not have children because of the planet or there is no God - what would be the word for that?
Last edited by Wootah on Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brunumb
Savant

Re: evolutionary attack

Post #71

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:13 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #68]

Actually, if you stop being offended and look at the topic it is a very deep issue. Everyone is verbally pushing and pulling each other all the time and if you are not careful you will find yourself without a family or a future or even a penis these days if you listen to the wrong voices.
Gay conversion therapy is an abject failure to the point of being made illegal in places. If you can't talk gays into being straight it's probably just as big a hurdle to talk straights into being gay. So this verbal pushing and pulling is just a big furphy designed to cover some other agenda.

By the way, if you are not careful in some Christian communities you can find yourself without family or friends when you get shunned or disfellowshipped. Sexual identity doesn't even have to come into it. Religion provides a litany of excuses to get yourself hated. There are lots of people that seem to think themselves free of sin and justified in casting heaps of stones on those they are looking down on.

As to the OP question, what would be the purpose of determining this word you are seeking?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Wootah
Savant

Post #72

Post by Wootah »

Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

brunumb
Savant

Post #73

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:02 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #71]

Gas lighting is the closest I can come up with.

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/201 ... ng-in-film
You've found your word. Now what? Not really seeing the point of this thread.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #74

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:26 am

You've found your word. Now what? Not really seeing the point of this thread.
I reckon since gas lighting is considered lying, all atheists are liars and Jesus wins?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by JoeyKnothead »

brunumb wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 pm ...
If you can't talk gays into being straight it's probably just as big a hurdle to talk straights into being gay.
I don't know about that brunumb, you're quite fetching in that hat and coat.

I mean, you'd hafta buy the beer, you ain't that fetching 🙃
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #76

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:33 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 pm ...
If you can't talk gays into being straight it's probably just as big a hurdle to talk straights into being gay.
I don't know about that brunumb, you're quite fetching in that hat and coat.

I mean, you'd hafta buy the beer, you ain't that fetching 🙃
Keep going, keep going. Sweet talking will get you everywhere. :P

Tcg
Savant

Post #77

Post by Tcg »

brunumb wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:07 pm
Gay conversion therapy is an abject failure to the point of being made illegal in places. If you can't talk gays into being straight it's probably just as big a hurdle to talk straights into being gay. So this verbal pushing and pulling is just a big furphy designed to cover some other agenda.

By the way, if you are not careful in some Christian communities you can find yourself without family or friends when you get shunned or disfellowshipped. Sexual identity doesn't even have to come into it. Religion provides a litany of excuses to get yourself hated. There are lots of people that seem to think themselves free of sin and justified in casting heaps of stones on those they are looking down on.

As to the OP question, what would be the purpose of determining this word you are seeking?
I got shunned by my sister and brother-in-law simply because I stopped writing what they called "gospel songs." This was long before they figured out that I did so because I had become an atheist. Talk about an attack. It had nothing to do with evolution as far as I can figure, but then neither does this thread.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Wootah
Savant

Post #78

Post by Wootah »

Tcg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:55 am

I got shunned by my sister and brother-in-law simply because I stopped writing what they called "gospel songs." This was long before they figured out that I did so because I had become an atheist. Talk about an attack. It had nothing to do with evolution as far as I can figure, but then neither does this thread.

Tcg
In Australia, there is a bird called the Indian Miner and it squawks and squawks harassing other birds out of everything. I just think most of what we experience in the media is just 'Indian Miners'.

Tcg
Savant

Post #79

Post by Tcg »

That doesn't address brunumb's question he asked:

"As to the OP question, what would be the purpose of determining this word you are seeking?"

He didn't ask what the closest word is you can come up for it. That word has already been provided by me which is fantasy.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #80

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:49 am
Tcg wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:55 am

Tcg
In Australia, there is a bird called the Indian Miner and it squawks and squawks harassing other birds out of everything. I just think most of what we experience in the media is just 'Indian Miners'.
Nothing that I stated has anything to do with something I experienced in the media. Neither my sister nor my brother-in-law were media figures. They were... well... my sister and brother-in-law. But, hey, I've got a love bird and she squawks sometimes. How about that?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom