The role Pontius Pilate played

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

The role Pontius Pilate played

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Reading in detail the trial and sentencing of Jesus, I am moved to say Pilate showed far more compassion and understanding than the Jews baying for Jesus' blood. He really tried not to send Jesus to such brutal punishment and death. He was no fool and knew an innocent man was standing before him. I hope God had mercy on this man's soul for he was far better than the Jews.

One of the worst aspects of humankind is bloodlust. Another is sheer inhumanity. We see these aspects of us in world events and behaviour during covid years. Will it ever stop and are we really worth the love and forgiveness granted by our Creator?
I despair and think not. It makes me even more grateful. For we are not worthy.
Even on here vicious, though mercifully silent and safe arguing goes on. Safe physically, but humans kill each other if they can. We just think we are civilised but we never will be.

Miles
Savant

Re: The role Pontius Pilate played

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:19 am Reading in detail the trial and sentencing of Jesus, I am moved to say Pilate showed far more compassion and understanding than the Jews baying for Jesus' blood. He really tried not to send Jesus to such brutal punishment and death.
And why not? Jesus never wronged Pilate like he wronged the Jewish faith; trying to usurp its traditions and teachings.

He was no fool and knew an innocent man was standing before him.
Innocent in the eyes of the Prefect of Judaea (Pilate's title) perhaps, but not innocent in the eyes of the Jews. The Jews saw Jesus as "violating the Sabbath law (by healing on the Sabbath); threatening to destroy the Jewish Temple; practicing sorcery, exorcising people by the power of demons and; claiming to be the Messiah."*

I hope God had mercy on this man's soul for he was far better than the Jews.
Really! I can only assume you're unaware of his cruelty.
"He was then ordered back to Rome to stand trial for cruelty and oppression, particularly on the charge that he had executed men without proper trial."** Moreover, Pilate incurred the enmity of Jews in Roman-occupied Palestine by insulting their religious sensibilities, as when he hung worship images of the emperor throughout Jerusalem and had coins bearing pagan religious symbols minted."** So bad were his offenses that "Pilate killed himself on orders from the emperor Caligula."** Were the Jews actually worse than this? If so, I await any evidence you may have.

* source: Wikipedia
** source

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

Even a hard cruel powerful man like Pilate could see who Jesus was. Not only innocent but not just a man. He had heard the stories and was not happy to judge Him. He was so troubled he tried several ways to avoid punishing him as the baying Jews demanded.
Even Pilate could see what those Jews were blind to. Just as even demons knew who Jesus was and were afraid every single time.

Even now, all who refuse to accept Jesus as Saviour are crucifying Him again.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:43 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]

Even a hard cruel powerful man like Pilate could see who Jesus was. Not only innocent but not just a man. He had heard the stories and was not happy to judge Him. He was so troubled he tried several ways to avoid punishing him as the baying Jews demanded. Even Pilate could see what those Jews were blind to. Just as even demons knew who Jesus was and were afraid every single time.
Really! I'm surprised because, although I've read a bit about Pilate and demons, Ive never heard of this. What is your source?

Even now, all who refuse to accept Jesus as Saviour are crucifying Him again.
I don't accept Jesus as a savior, so how am I crucifying Him again? . . . And are all Jews, Buddhists, Hindus, and atheists also crucifying Him again?

Question: How often is Jesus being crucified again? And on what, a daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly basis?

Just as an FYI, according to recent statistics 69% of the world's population is crucifying Him again. (Christians making up 31.11% of the population)

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #4]

Yes, so many are rejecting and thus crucifying Him again. Yet He is your only protection against the devil and eternal hell in his hands. Your soul belongs to one or the other.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Diagoras »

Rose2020 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:19 am One of the worst aspects of humankind is bloodlust. Another is sheer inhumanity.
Certainly unpleasant, but not restricted to humankind. Jeremiah 13:14, for example.
We see these aspects of us in world events and behaviour during covid years.
And for all of human history beforehand. However, there’s actual evidence that things have been getting better.

Will it ever stop and are we really worth the love and forgiveness granted by our Creator?
That’s up to us individually - personally, I think loving and forgiving oneself is the most important thing.

I despair and think not.
Always look on the bright side of life…

Even on here vicious, though mercifully silent and safe arguing goes on.
I’d characterise the debate here as ‘spirited’ rather than vicious. We need freedom of speech if we are ever to improve our world and lives.

We just think we are civilised but we never will be.
My (sincere) advice? Take a bit of a break from social media and the news. Go and connect with friends and make time for some simple pleasures - be it making something or going for a walk. It’s too easy to lose a sense of perspective when being bombarded by the media.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #6]

I appreciate your wise words and will try to heed them.