Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Eloi
Banned
Banned

Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #1

Post by Eloi »

I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Scientific thinking and common sense

Post #181

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 1:12 am There have been at least six extinction events already since life first started wriggling and jiggling on this planet.
Okay let's pretend that I agree with this unsupported claim. Which of the animals who went extinct during these six events are still around kicking and breathing? Zero, right? Why assume that won't eventually happen to us?

Mother Earth always appears to bounce back and try different things...The loss of humans isn't a foregone conclusion, nor for that matter the lose of any other lifeforms - we have science after all...and the revenue that science brings to those invested init.
If science is right, dear old mother earth won't be around after the sun burns out and engulfs our precious planet. So, yes whether it is tomorrow or a billion years from now life on our dear old mother will go extinct. All of it, including us humans given the absurdly unlikelihood that we will still be kicking around when that happens.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #182

Post by William »

[Replying to Tcg in post #181]

I am unclear as to what point you are making which is contrary to my own.

Tcg
Savant

Post #183

Post by Tcg »

William wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:10 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #181]

I am unclear as to what point you are making which is contrary to my own.
It isn't complicated.

You: "Mother Earth always appears to bounce back and try different things..."

Me: 'If science is right, dear old mother earth won't be around after the sun burns out and engulfs our precious planet.'

Ain't gonna be no bouncing back from that one.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #184

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #185

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:26 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #183]

They way I'm reading it, ya'll're both right.

Where we might could, possibly, hopefully escape the solar system and inhabit "the stars" humans could, possibly, hopefully live long and prosper.

But if the sun blows up, and we ain't done that, we'll there we go.

There's also the pesky issue of the universe doing it a heat death, then all the rockets in the world woulda been for naught.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #186

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:20 am
William wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:26 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #183]

They way I'm reading it, ya'll're both right.

Where we might could, possibly, hopefully escape the solar system and inhabit "the stars" humans could, possibly, hopefully live long and prosper.

But if the sun blows up, and we ain't done that, we'll there we go.

There's also the pesky issue of the universe doing it a heat death, then all the rockets in the world woulda been for naught.
I think this is where my 'doomy-gloomy comment' arose JK.

I was comparing at the "it's all ganna end one day" downer with the "Its ganna take nigh on forever to get there" upper and then wondering aloud.

So - when I wrote;
William: "there have been at least six extinction events already since life first started wriggling and jiggling on this planet."
I was referring to epochs the Earth has been through already - how most lifeforms died the the end of those epochs.
How the planet simply made more - which, rather than saying - "Wow what an amazing magical thing for a planet to be able to do such a thing" - is said "Well what of it? That Old Witch and that Old Wizard are ganna die one day and that'll be the end of them and their monster-making"

No more nightmares.

When I wrote;
William: "Mother Earth always appears to bounce back and try different things...The loss of humans isn't a foregone conclusion, nor for that matter the loss of any other lifeforms - we have science after all...and the revenue that science brings to those invested init."
I was speaking about here and nowadays, while also subtly implying that at the real "end of it all" [assuming the current science is correct] it might well be possible that a remnant artifact of Human - thus Earthen - intelligence, might well still exist.

“Thus Team Witch-Wizard would survive the ordeal right to the very end. :)

[There's one for the ComList N2N...] ]

[Acting In Congruity With Given Foresight
There are two ways to approach the problem
If I "talk to the Dead" then they must all be living
In The Family Of Deep Impact Event - Called To Order]

William
Savant

Post #187

Post by William »

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #188

Post by kjw47 »

Eloi wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 3:00 pm I have noticed that sometimes people with a scientific mind, people who have studied a lot and know a lot of information about different sciences, do not notice simple things that do not escape the attention of ordinary people, even if they have studied less or almost nothing.

For example, the fact that the animals that evolutionists call "lower" in the evolutionary scale still live alongside humans, and that others supposedly fitter, because they are located in a higher position in the evolutionary line of man, no longer exist.

Evolutionary theory holds that as animals progressed up the evolutionary scale, they became more capable of surviving. Why, then, is the “inferior” ape family still in existence, but not a single one of the presumed intermediate forms, which were supposed to be more advanced in evolution? Today we see chimpanzees, gorillas and orangutans, but no “ape-men.” Does it seem likely that every one of the more recent and supposedly more advanced “links” between apelike creatures and modern man should have become extinct, but not the lower apes? https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1101985017

To what extent do you think the "wisdom" of this system of things can cloud a person's mind?

Just look at mans gross misuse of science and math. They have polluted Gods water, air, and land thus our food as well. They have put a huge hole in the ozone layer causing global warming which in turn is causing havoc weather all over the earth ruining manys lives. And the worst of all of it and they know it-they are selling us cancer. Putting trust into men like that is not a wise decision.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #189

Post by JoeyKnothead »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:43 pm Just look at mans gross misuse of science and math.
And maybe worse, the denial of it.
They have polluted Gods water, air, and land thus our food as well.
God needs to pay him some taxes.
They have put a huge hole in the ozone layer causing global warming which in turn is causing havoc weather all over the earth ruining manys lives.
I note it was scientists who alerted us to this problem, and scientists who've helped to fix it.
And the worst of all of it and they know it-they are selling us cancer. Putting trust into men like that is not a wise decision.
"Ya gotta quit thinkin' so negative, son."
- Bo "The Bandit" Darville

Seems to me an omnipotent god could fix our global problems, if he gave him just the first tinker's dang.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #190

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #188]
Just look at mans gross misuse of science and math. They have polluted Gods water, air, and land thus our food as well. They have put a huge hole in the ozone layer causing global warming which in turn is causing havoc weather all over the earth ruining manys lives. And the worst of all of it and they know it-they are selling us cancer. Putting trust into men like that is not a wise decision.
You describe this as if it were all intentional ... that scientists purposefully did all of these things. That is not how it works, and the ozone hole is a good example.

The ozone hole was present for many years before it was "discovered" in 1985 (it was in the TOMS satellite data, but an algorithm discarded data below certain values on the assumption that they could not be valid (fortunately the original data sets were intact and were reprocessed later). Chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) were predicted to potentially cause problems back in the late 1960s. This alerted everyone to potential problems (not yet seen in atmospheric data), and efforts were started to reduce the use of certain CFCs, with (guess who) scientists looking for alternatives.

In 1986, after the TOMS data was reprocessed and the local (Antarctica) ground based data were confirmed, NASA organized a massive mission (NOZE) to the McMurdo Research Station (my second field trip at my new job of 1 year) and within 6-9 months of returning this "measure everything" mission the mechanism and chemistry and dynamics of the Antarctic ozone hole were figured out (by the evil scientists) and efforts accelerated to find alternatives to CFCs.

Scientists did not "put a huge hole in the ozone layer" as you put it. It was an unexpected result of decades of CFC use and emissions, and chemistry that was not understood until the late 1960s and early 1970s. Once it was understood that it was a serious problem, it was addressed with the realization that it can take a century or so for the problem to dissipate. Similar sequences have been seen with pesticides, various consumer products, etc. that were not known to be harmful for long periods. Even smoking was thought to be harmless for a long period f time!
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain