Steps to keep warm and survive

Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Steps to keep warm and survive

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

So, what steps have you got planned to keep warm this winter without using the heating?
It is going to be such a challenge.
I feel the cold terribly but no way can I afford huge bills. I am on a fixed income.

I am looking very hard at my budget and all luxuries must stop. I will set the thermostat to a tolerable level, wear all my warmest clothes, pile blankets on to sleep. I can use a small efficient fan heater just to keep one room warm. Cooking must be minimised. It is getting hard to afford basic foods. No more holidays or meals out for me, even the few I did have.
Also bad habits have to be conquered. One thing I have stopped is the top-up shopping during the week, popping out again for milk and eggs etc. That always results in spending another £20 even £30 more by impulse buying if I pop round other shops too. Looking clearly at my supplies, I can make do far better and just go once weekly. Just economise stricter.

What about mould and damp though? If houses are not warmed, we get other problems. So all radiators cannot just be shut off.

tam
Savant

Re: Steps to keep warm and survive

Post #2

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:52 am So, what steps have you got planned to keep warm this winter without using the heating?
It is going to be such a challenge.
I feel the cold terribly but no way can I afford huge bills. I am on a fixed income.

I am looking very hard at my budget and all luxuries must stop. I will set the thermostat to a tolerable level, wear all my warmest clothes, pile blankets on to sleep. I can use a small efficient fan heater just to keep one room warm. Cooking must be minimised. It is getting hard to afford basic foods. No more holidays or meals out for me, even the few I did have.
Also bad habits have to be conquered. One thing I have stopped is the top-up shopping during the week, popping out again for milk and eggs etc. That always results in spending another £20 even £30 more by impulse buying if I pop round other shops too. Looking clearly at my supplies, I can make do far better and just go once weekly. Just economise stricter.

What about mould and damp though? If houses are not warmed, we get other problems. So all radiators cannot just be shut off.
I don't think you can sacrifice your heat. If it does get that bad (not sure exactly where you are), then sacrifice the luxuries (such as eating out), but I would make sure to keep enough heat on that you do not get mold, because that could prove more expensive in the long run. Your heat company probably has some tips online to saving money. I would check that out if I were you. You might be able to winterize your place a bit as well. People do that here. Like covering your windows with plastic insulation.

I live in central Alberta, and the heat has to be on in the winter, or pipes will freeze... and that would prove to be a LOT more expensive in the long run. Alberta is giving people 50$/month subsidies to help with rising power costs at the moment. If necessary, they'll probably come out with something like that for heat in the winter as well. Check and see if there is any assistance in your area as well.

Peace to you.
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to tam in post #2]

I agree. I am in the UK where bills are going up steeply. I have a 'Hive' which controls the temperature at which the boiler will switch on. I shall set it at a safe but low temperature to prevent frozen pipes.

I do remember in childhood being cold but we survived. No central heating or even carpets. An open fire was kept going in one room only. I remember frozen shirts on the line outside. I also remember we were sick a lot, the damp housing was unhealthy. I never could get warm enough. I cannot believe we must now go backwards. People are going to suffer a lot.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

Well I have been notified of an increase in my monthly direct debit of under £10.00 . This is ok. I am on a fixed contract until the end of the year. After that ends I expect bad news.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

tam has provided some good advice on weather proofing. One simple thing we do is to put towels at the base of our doors to help block cold air from entering through the gaps. Another thing although it is old-fashioned advice is that wool really keeps one warmer than other fabrics.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

Actually, that takes my bill to over £3000 a year and I am using no heating yet! So I do not know how I can survive a cold winter. This is going to be very difficult but there are ways to economise as we did in the old days before central heating.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #6]

I'm not sure if this applies to your living space, but I once lived in an apartment that had very poor heating and I couldn't control it. It did however have numerous windows. So, during the day I'd open all the shades to allow the sunlight to heat my space as much as it could. It still got cold at night, but that helped to some degree.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

It does make people think creatively, to look carefully at budgets. It is amazing how much we can do to help ourselves.
Economy and thrift are good habits to cultivate.
In my childhood we had so little yet lived and survived fine.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #5]

Excellent tips. The simplest solutions are often the best. Prevent drafts, close doors, dress warmly, extra blankets at night. I found putting old towels round the garage door prevented cold draughts coming in and draining precious heat. Properly insulated lofts, setting thermostats lower.
Simply closing doors and drawing curtains can make a huge difference. Same with spending money on unnecessary treats - it is amazing what we can live without.