NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Tcg
Savant

NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Post #1

Post by Tcg »

In many or at least some reports of NDEs, the experiencer reports meeting Jesus during the NDE. Many times, this report comes from one who is a practicing Christian. No surprise there. The question I have concerning this is how do they know it was Jesus they met?

If the story of Judas is correct, the Jewish chief priests and elders had to hire him to point out who Jesus was. Again, if that is true Jesus must have been a rather ordinary looking man. He would not have stood out in the way that many of the illustrations of him suggest. Perhaps if the NDEers are Catholic or have been exposed to the Shroud of Turin their Jesus looks like that image. But, for the others how do they know what Jesus looks like?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Re: NDEs and visions of Jesus.

Post #31

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:19 am
Jehovah's witnesses? I thought this thread was about NDEs.
Would you like my opinion /beliefs/what I think about on NDEs? And this time please answer the question directly.

JW
Of course not. I'm interested in facts. Got any to present?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #32

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:27 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am
Tcg wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:19 am
Jehovah's witnesses? I thought this thread was about NDEs.
Would you like my opinion /beliefs/what I think about on NDEs? And this time please answer the question directly.

JW
Of course not. ....

Okay then my work here is done. Have a most excellent evening and I hope someone else passes by your thread with some facts about what happens near death one day, since opinions are not welcome here.

Bye for now

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by Inquirer »

Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:11 am .
In many or at least some reports of NDEs, the experiencer reports meeting Jesus during the NDE. Many times, this report comes from one who is a practicing Christian. No surprise there. The question I have concerning this is how do they know it was Jesus they met?

If the story of Judas is correct, the Jewish chief priests and elders had to hire him to point out who Jesus was. Again, if that is true Jesus must have been a rather ordinary looking man. He would not have stood out in the way that many of the illustrations of him suggest. Perhaps if the NDEers are Catholic or have been exposed to the Shroud of Turin their Jesus looks like that image. But, for the others how do they know what Jesus looks like?

Tcg
Regarding his appearance, Consider:

Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.

That is one of many prophecies about Christ. That text has been scientifically shown to predate Christ by at least a century.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #34

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:11 am .

Tcg
Regarding his appearance, Consider:

Who has believed what he has heard from us? And to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed? For he grew up before him like a young plant, and like a root out of dry ground; he had no form or majesty that we should look at him, and no beauty that we should desire him. He was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief; and as one from whom men hide their faces he was despised, and we esteemed him not. Surely he has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows; yet we esteemed him stricken, smitten by God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.

That is one of many prophecies about Christ. That text has been scientifically shown to predate Christ by at least a century.
:D Your point? That prophecy doesn't tell us anything about how Jesus appeared, quite apart from prophecies not amounting to much as they can either be interpreted to fit the event (the dogs' dinner of the prophecies of Judas should show that) or the story is built up around the OT. Like the prophecy of Rachel's children being wretchedly wangled as the prediction of the (unhistorical) Herod's massacre.

The point is that the descriptions of Jesus in NDE's would (I'm predicting here) reflect the image they had been taught, rather than any credible appearance that Jesus might have had.

Tcg
Savant

Post #35

Post by Tcg »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:07 pm That text has been scientifically shown to predate Christ by at least a century.
If that is true, then it can't possibly tell us anything about what Jesus looked like. Besides you're talking about "prophecy." Do you expect that to be taken seriously? Oh, and the topic involves NDEs.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #36

Post by William »

From the perspective of Simulation Theory;

Jesus can be seen by the NDEer however the experiencer expects to see Jesus as he/she interacts with the algorithm.

Individuals having such an experience can do so simultaneously [if their NDEs happened at the same time] because the algorithm responds to each individual separately.

That would explain otherwise apparent contradictions.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #37

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:27 pm From the perspective of Simulation Theory;

Jesus can be seen by the NDEer however the experiencer expects to see Jesus as he/she interacts with the algorithm.

Individuals having such an experience can do so simultaneously [if their NDEs happened at the same time] because the algorithm responds to each individual separately.

That would explain otherwise apparent contradictions.
You'll have to clarify; it sounded as though you were implying that conditions at a particular time would make for Jesus looking the same, though what that would be is not made clear, nor that this appears to contradict the idea that the Jesus they see is based on their expectations, which I'd assume would depend on what religious pictures they'd seen.

This apparently selective 'algorithm' produces a Jesus people at the same time both see. Which implies that it should look the same.

But clearly that isn't what you say, which is that people at the same time have different Jesuses appear, which you'd expect to happen if there was no 'algorithm' and they were just imagining their own Jesus without any cosmic help. So this neither explains nor clarifies nor amounts to anything other than a claim of a cosmic algorithm that doesn't do anything useful or needful and thus there isn't the slightest evidence for it.