Obscure opinion: gospel stories as parables by Jesus about Jesus

Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Longfellow
Student

Obscure opinion: gospel stories as parables by Jesus about Jesus

Post #1

Post by Longfellow »

This is not exactly an opinion, more like a speculation. I'm thinking that maybe the authors of the gospels took their sayings and parables of Jesus, and what he does and what happens to him and around him in their stories, from collections of sayings and stories that were circulating in Christian communities at the time the gospels were first written. I'm thinking that those collections were actual parables and sayings of Jesus, including parables with him in them. For example, walking on water, calming the storm, the loaves and the fishes, and turning water into wine, are not memories of the twelve of physical happenings. They are parables that Jesus used to illustrate the power of his teachings, or something else about who he was and his role in the kingdom. I'm not thinking that those things could not have happened physically, just that what we have is not memories of physical happenings. Even if those things did happen physically, what we have is not memories of those happenings. They are Jesus re-telling those stories as parables, to teach lessons, just like his kingdom parables.