A GOAT CAN NEVER BECOME A SHEEP

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

A GOAT CAN NEVER BECOME A SHEEP

Post #1

Post by Eddie Ramos »

In the Bible, God uses many spiritual truths to confirm truthful doctrines. One such doctrine is the doctrine of election unto salvation which teaches that God chose a people or himself to save from among mankind and that he paid for their sins from the foundation of the world. These chosen people are referred to in the Bible as God's elect.

Romans 8:29–33 (KJV 1900)
For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them he also glorified. 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth.

Matthew 22:14 (KJV 1900)
For many are called, but few are chosen (elected).

These elect who have had their sins paid for are also known by many types and figures throughout the Bible. One of those names is a sheep. But there are two types of sheep in the Bible, those sheep who have been found (saved) and those who had not yet been found, these were known as the lost sheep.

Matthew 10:5–6 (KJV 1900)
These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: 6 But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Matthew 15:24 (KJV 1900)
But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

Isaiah 53:6 (KJV 1900)
All we like sheep have gone astray;
We have turned every one to his own way;
And the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

So, why is this distinction important to know regarding the sheep that are in the fold and the lost sheep? Because both were always sheep. And during judgment day, God tells us that he will be separating the sheep from the goats.

Matthew 25:31–34 (KJV 1900)
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32 And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand (the sheep), Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

Matthew 25:41 (KJV 1900)

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand (the goats), Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

It is important to note that no where in the scriptures are we taught that a sheep can ever become a goat or vice versa. And this agrees with the doctrine of election that teaches that God chose a people for himself (the sheep) and he laid down his life for them specifically.

John 10:11 (KJV 1900)
I am the good shepherd: the good shepherd giveth his life for the sheep.

The goats are never mentioned as having atonement provided for them like it was for the sheep. So, as the gospel of salvation went out into the world, God applied his word in the lives of all of his lost sheep and saved them. Upon salvation, it was like each lost sheep was brought into the fold.

John 10:16 (KJV 1900)
And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

And lest anyone think to himself that all men are classified as sheep, the Bible disagrees.

John 10:26–28 (KJV 1900)
But ye believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you. 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

So, the fact that God does indeed make a distinction between all nations (mankind) and speaks of those who either were lost sheep (still unsaved) or the sheep already in his fold (those whom he had already saved), the elect child of God was always a sheep nonetheless. Therefore, those whose sins Christ had not paid for, were never among his sheep, whether lost or in the fold. But they were always goats. This means that they had to justly pay for their own sins by their own death, as demanded by the righteous law of God.

Any rebuttals?

Savant

Re: A GOAT CAN NEVER BECOME A SHEEP

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm ...
Any rebuttals?
If Bible doesn't directly say "a goat can never become a sheep", why do you need this doctrine? Why not just remain in the words in the Bible?

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Eddie Ramos »

1213 wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:12 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:22 pm ...
Any rebuttals?
If Bible doesn't directly say "a goat can never become a sheep", why do you need this doctrine? Why not just remain in the words in the Bible?
Because the Bible doesn't teach by the plain meaning of the text alone. It teaches by what's concealed within the text. This is what the Bible refers to as the spiritual meaning. We learn this as we study the Bible and discover, for example, what I explained in my opening post.

But as another example, if you're a Jehovahs Witness, then you believe that David is a type and figure (represents) the Lord Jesus Christ. Yet, that is never plainly stated in the scriptures. This is what I mean.

And so, as we study, we learn all sorts of things that are taught, but not necessarily spelled out. But, just like it's been done with tying David to Christ, it's also done with everything else in the scriptures. We only need to make sure that whatever conclusion we have reached, agrees with the Bible as a whole.

And the doctrine of sheep and goats teaches us a very important spiritual truth which is just one way of many which confirms other truthful doctrines, such as the doctrine of election and limited atonement. This agreement is the Bible's way of telling us that we are on the right path in our understanding. Whereas disagreement from the scriptures, teaches us that we have something wrong with our doctrine. Like if we believe in free will and that Christ paid for the sins of every human being, then the above opening study will contradict those doctrines. The Bible must agree as one cohesive truth because that is how it has been written.

1 John 5:7-8 (KJV) 7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. 8 And there are three that bear witness in earth, the Spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:49 am Because the Bible doesn't teach by the plain meaning of the text alone. It teaches by what's concealed within the text. This is what the Bible refers to as the spiritual meaning....
But how do we know is your "spiritual meaning" correct? It looks like one can imagine all sort of things and claim it is true, in "spiritual meaning". I don't think it is useful to make up doctrines that are not directly said and explained in the Bible.

Eddie Ramos
Scholar

Post #5

Post by Eddie Ramos »

1213 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:07 am
Eddie Ramos wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 7:49 am Because the Bible doesn't teach by the plain meaning of the text alone. It teaches by what's concealed within the text. This is what the Bible refers to as the spiritual meaning....
But how do we know is your "spiritual meaning" correct? It looks like one can imagine all sort of things and claim it is true, in "spiritual meaning". I don't think it is useful to make up doctrines that are not directly said and explained in the Bible.
The answer to your question is that the spiritual meaning has to agree with the whole of the scriptures. Again, we can take the example of David and determine that no where is it directly said that he is a type of Christ, and yet knowing that spiritual truth is of immense value when it comes to understanding other parts of the scriptures. For example, during judgement day, Christ is ruling the world with a rod of iron, but he is also feeding his sheep because he is the true shepherd. But look at who Ezekiel says will be the shepherd of the people.

Ezekiel 34:20-24 (KJV) 20 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD unto them; Behold, I, even I, will judge between the fat cattle and between the lean cattle. 21 Because ye have thrust with side and with shoulder, and pushed all the diseased with your horns, till ye have scattered them abroad; 22 Therefore will I save my flock, and they shall no more be a prey; and I will judge between cattle and cattle. 23 And I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. 24 And I the LORD will be their God, and my servant David a prince among them; I the LORD have spoken it.

The name David here is spiritually referring to Christ, not the actual man David. This principle can be applied to the rest of the scriptures which brings forth much truth that without, the scriptures could not be properly understood.

And in the example of the separation of the sheep and the goats (the judging between cattle and cattle), we can see that it's the sheep who represent people. But the sheep don't represent ALL people, but only the true people of God.

Then with that understanding, we can go and look throughout the Bible and come across the term "lost sheep" and understand that it is never speaking of those who weren't chosen for salvation, but only of those who were chosen fir salvation, had their sins paid for by Christ, and had not yet received the application of their salvation, because once they did, those sheep who were lost, were now said to be found. Yet, this is never the case with the goats who represent those who were never chosen for salvation and had to pay for their own sins by their own death.

Plus, looking for and correctly understanding spiritual truths like the sheep and the goats, helps with either confirming or correcting the doctrines we already think to be true, like election versus free will.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Eddie Ramos wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:14 pm ...
The name David here is spiritually referring to Christ, not the actual man David. ..
Sorry, I don't think there is any Biblical reason to believe so.