What is your opinion about the "Historical Jesus"?

Dedicated to the scholarly study of the bible as text and the discussion thereof

Moderator: Moderators

jd01
Student

What is your opinion about the "Historical Jesus"?

Post #1

Post by jd01 »

Should we distinguish between the historical (real) and the Christ of Theology?

Shoudn't they be the same?

If so, then a complete analysis on the Historical Jesus, such as found in the new book Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus, should describe the Christ then?
jd
Author of Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus www.saltandlight.ca

Miles
Savant

Re: What is your opinion about the "Historical Jesus"?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

jd01 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:08 pm Should we distinguish between the historical (real) and the Christ of Theology?
Considering that all we've been told about Jesus is wrapped in theology I don't see where any distinct historical information would lie; therefore, I see no distinguishing between the two.

Shoudn't they be the same?
Could they be different? I don't think so. In fact, for all we know Jesus may be a compilation of several men.

Just a note about the linked source material: Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus www.saltandlight.ca by Jonathan G. Dean. (who I suspect is the creator of his thread). Because the scholarship of any self published book should be suspect---any manuscript of competently, well researched nonfiction with a new angle should be able to get itself published by a trade publisher---I suggest the reader take care when considering this book's contentions and conclusions. Aside from that, its somewhat stilted prose can be annoying, but is ultimately passable if read in brief doses.

Last edited by Miles on Wed Sep 07, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: What is your opinion about the "Historical Jesus"?

Post #3

Post by Difflugia »

jd01 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 3:08 pmShould we distinguish between the historical (real) and the Christ of Theology?
The Christ of theology isn't even one of the Christs of the Bible. Between the four evangelists, the Pauline Epistles, Hebrews, and Revelation, you've got at least seven theologically incompatible Christs. The Christ of any given theology is an eighth, being an amalgamation and harmonization of these. Since each of these eight includes at least some implausible details (walked on water, returned from the dead, spoke to the Revelator from heaven), any historical Jesus must necessarily be a ninth.

How many of those are captured in the book you're hawking?
My pronouns are he, him, and his.