Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Mathew 16 verses 13-20.

Atheists who come here often ask Christian believers for proof, evidence that Jesus was who He said He was in the Bible.

I say carefully read the section above. No human being can convince someone that God exists, that Jesus is Messiah. The question always has to be - who do YOU think He is? The answer always has to be answered by God Himself. Only He can change your heart and bring you to faith, if you are open to it. Life can and does bring people to that place.

This is true for me. I was an atheist until I decided I could not live life that way any longer. So I prayed and the faith came to me. I have absolutely no doubt.

So who do you say Jesus was?

wannabe
Apprentice

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #2

Post by wannabe »

I regard Jesus as part of God's spirit.
Who lovingly provided us with much wisdom and council concerning all things, including God, and provided salvation and comfort to all who would receive the word of his God.
I also regard Jesus as my King.
:
:

Live to give , Give to live ( love Jesus )

: I believe a mans spirit is more than just his imagination.

I believe in forever. That's true even without religion.(or man)

: Live to give, give to life, Forgive to live.

Tcg
Savant

Post #3

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:54 am The question always has to be - who do YOU think He is? The answer always has to be answered by God Himself.
Well then, I guess we'll have to wait for God to show up and answer your question.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #4

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #3]

You will have your chance to speak with Him too. We each will.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #3]

The only place God can be shown to exist is in the imagination of humans. He no longer lives in mine so that is extremely unlikely to happen. His terminal case of stage-fright precludes him from showing up here or anywhere else I suppose.

Your O.P. question is stated in the present tense. It should be past tense.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:26 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #3]

Good, 'cause he's got a whole lot of explaining to do.

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:54 am Mathew 16 verses 13-20.

Atheists who come here often ask Christian believers for proof, evidence that Jesus was who He said He was in the Bible.

I say carefully read the section above. No human being can convince someone that God exists, that Jesus is Messiah. The question always has to be - who do YOU think He is? The answer always has to be answered by God Himself. Only He can change your heart and bring you to faith, if you are open to it. Life can and does bring people to that place.
So, do you believe everything everybody says about themselves? If not, what is it about Jesus that has you believing what he says in Matthew 16:15-19?

15 He said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” 16 Simon Peter replied, “You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.” 17 And Jesus answered him, “Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. 18 And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.”

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #5]

No mistake, it is present tense. Jesus IS alive.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #6]

You think God, the creator of the universe needs to explain to you?

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:32 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #5]

No mistake, it is present tense. Jesus IS alive.
Perhaps in the imaginations of his followers. No reason to think a 1st century Jewish carpenter turned failed apocalyptic preacher is still alive in any literal sense. If there was such a person, he is long dead. 2,000 years' worth of being dead.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom