Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Wonderful woman, a great Queen who did her duty flawlessly. She now has eternal rest and leaves behind a great deal of genuine love and respect.

I however do not like Charles and his wife. I bet a lot of people have not forgotten their appalling behaviour. I predict he will not be a popular nor effective king. Only time will tell of course.

I have heard some say that Charles should allow William to become king - could that be possible and better? I personally would love to see William on the throne with his delightful wife Kate and their children as the top royals.
Last edited by Rose2020 on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Passing of Queen Elizabeth

Post #11

Post by oldbadger »

[Replying to Tcg in post #5]

The Queen had more power and influence than most folks realise ..
I can't think of a government here that has reacted against a democratic vote, but if any would have done then the Queen's authority and power would have been discovered very quickly.
The UK government is supposed to be the efficiency (!) whereas our Monarch is supposed to be the dignity (true!) But as Rose has clearly shown, that position won't suit Charles so well, in my opinion.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #12

Post by oldbadger »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

Dignity, diplomacy, guts, a figurehead for respect.
Thing is, the leaders of the world must have respected her or they wouldn't be here at this time.
I'm not a monarchist, I just held Elizabeth Windsor with huge respect.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Rose2020 »

It is a point worth emphasis that our Queen was a very devout true Christian. I have absolutely no doubt she is now with Jesus Christ, safely resting in heaven for all eternity.
Rest in peace Your Majesty.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #14

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #11]

Indeed I do have a feeling Charles will not do so well. He is if a different temperament and character.
Only time will tell.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #15

Post by oldbadger »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:39 pm It is a point worth emphasis that our Queen was a very devout true Christian. I have absolutely no doubt she is now with Jesus Christ, safely resting in heaven for all eternity.
Rest in peace Your Majesty.
She was the head of the Church of England, anointed with holy oil on hands, breast and forehead by the Archbishop during her coronation.
For many Christians that means a very great deal.
For others her Christianity meant as much.
Yes, she was/is a Christian.

And so....yes... and her funerals have and will emphasise her Christianity.
But she ordered the Bishop of York that under no circumstances was her funeral in Westminster Abbey to be allowed to engage in long boring sermons and service... he explained that yesterday in a television interview, much to the surprise of the presenter. She wanted all and any who want to say goodbye to be able to attend or watch this coming ceremony, regardless of religion or creed. Many millions of Muslims, Hindus and other religions will be celebrating her extraordinary life today.
Millions of atheists held her in such high regard as well.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #16

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #15]

That is so good. She was a conciliatory woman.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #17

Post by oldbadger »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:40 pm [Replying to oldbadger in post #11]

Indeed I do have a feeling Charles will not do so well. He is if a different temperament and character.
Only time will tell.
Yes. On a couple of occasions during this week he has shown that he has an irritable nature and nowhere near the patience of his mother. Journalists have commented upon examples of poor temperament. I didn't see any of those but my wife did (glued to telly this week).

What I have noticed is how he ends brief conversations and greetings with some of the public, and how his features, body language and gestures show that he doesn't want to be doing stuff. But I've watched William and Kate greeting the public and he has got his Mother's charm and ability.

In which case I feel sad for Charles....... I don't think it's going to go well. Republican countries, dictatorships and communist countries have all looked up to Elizabeth Windsor regardless of their political positions.... she was above politics. Most of them want to be there today. But already country Leaders like the New Zealand PM have mentioned that her country will be a republic in her lifetime, and I expect several others to follow.