Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Attire of female athletes

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

The Commonwealth Games are on just now.
I wonder is it really necessary that the female athletes wear such skimpy outfits, the men do not seem to be so revealing. Male viewers everywhere are able to see a lot and it cannot always be good or decent?

I saw a very rare Muslim girl runner and she had legs and head covered - necessary to keep her religion I assume. I respect that.

Also, there has quite rightly been a question raised about how the female footballers are made to wear white shorts. They are uncomfortable about it due to possible menstrual bleeding.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Attire of female athletes

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 amI wonder is it really necessary that the female athletes wear such skimpy outfits, the men do not seem to be so revealing.
Some time ago, we had a short conversation about a similar topic. My opinion is that nobody should have to wear anything that they themselves find too revealing or sexualized. Moreover, the dress codes for men and women should overlap to the point that they're essentially indistinguishable, at least by outward appearance.
Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 amAlso, there has quite rightly been a question raised about how the female footballers are made to wear white shorts. They are uncomfortable about it due to possible menstrual bleeding.
I've bolded the relevant part of that discussion. Anything more is superfluous.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

Agreed.

help3434
Guru

Post #4

Post by help3434 »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Hmm, does seem kind of strange. I would think if their clothing were geared towards achieving max efficiency in their support, their attire would pretty much be about the same, right? I don't think that exposing the belly while running magically makes women more aerodynamic but not men.

Miles
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am The Commonwealth Games are on just now.
I wonder is it really necessary that the female athletes wear such skimpy outfits, the men do not seem to be so revealing. Male viewers everywhere are able to see a lot and it cannot always be good or decent?

I saw a very rare Muslim girl runner and she had legs and head covered - necessary to keep her religion I assume. I respect that.

Also, there has quite rightly been a question raised about how the female footballers are made to wear white shorts. They are uncomfortable about it due to possible menstrual bleeding.
What I've always found odd is how people sexualize athletic uniforms. "Harrumph! that top hardly covers her cleavage" " Did you see her butt cheek when she dismounted the vaulting horse? Scandalous." You know, you can almost see through that swimming suit she's wearing." "I know, It's almost like she's advertising herself."

Why is anyone caring how skimpy or not athletic outfits are? Thing is, the women are often able vote thumbs up or thumbs down on team uniforms, So if a women's diving team votes to wear swim suits that have a high leg-cut, so be it, and too bad if a diver prefers a lower leg-cut. If they vote to have a low leg-cut, so be it, and too bad if a diver prefers a higher leg-cut. Ya can't please everybody. And when they can choose personal outfits it's their choice as to what they wear and how they look within a particular sports guidelines.

My bet is you're not familiar with what females are wearing at public beaches these days. Often it's far skimpier than the bikinis you' were accustomed to seeing; females sometimes wearing only one of the two pieces. Topless girls are continuing to frequent beaches more and more every year, particularly among the college crowd.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #5]

Call me old fashioned but I care about decency.

Miles
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 5:53 am [Replying to Miles in post #5]

Call me old fashioned but I care about decency.

............. You're old fashioned

Decency, on of those things that shifts with time and sense of propriety. You say appearance is worth fussing about; I say it's not.

Purple Knight
Guru

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

Rose2020 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:32 am The Commonwealth Games are on just now.

I do not think it is necessary and here's why.

I look at top models and women who resemble them, not female athletes. I might watch a runway show in Paris to look at beautiful women who are clothed in a nonsexual situation, but not a tennis match. I imagine this is pretty typical.

It's fairly efficient for a runway show to be selling both beauty and clothes. I think it's less efficient for a tennis match to be doing so and for the reasons you mentioned, it detracts from the tennis match. A tennis match should be a tennis match. If they're looking for something extra to sell the viewer without detracting from the tennis match, how about tennis rackets, sports equipment, gatorade, and protein bars? Don't they already do that and doesn't it make money? If they want more they should find something with greater synergy.

Frankly I think it would be more profitable to sexualise the male athletes, because in my experience females prefer soft core; they always want to look at male attractiveness in a clothed, nonsexual situation. And doesn't the athletic male body tie in more to the male beauty standard than the female one?

So why isn't this done?

It's because the male athletes would have none of it and everyone knows it. No one tries to bully them into it even though the industry almost certainly could. Let the top 9 out of 10 people quit; the viewer doesn't know the difference between a match between #1 and #2 and the match between #89 and #90. It will sell the same.

So this is a very good example of real modern sexism. Males have more negotiating power not because they generate any extra value but because everyone assumes their simple male dominance would cause them to be objectionable to something actually quite objectionable and no one tried to force them.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #8]

A very interesting and honest view, thankyou.

I also feel really sympathetic towards the female footballers who are made to wear white shorts. This is terribly risky as regards periods, how embarrassing that could be. It should be black shorts.

As you say, the focus should be on the sports but it really isn't.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #7]

Yes I am old fashioned and proud of it. It is about standards of decency.