Mass hysteria?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Mass hysteria?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

The Queen's death is huge news but I have begun wondering if the response of much of the population is that of mass hysteria?

Those huge queues to say goodbye cannot be easy, very tough especially for old people. The enormous loss of money to business, the disruption to lives. The sea of flowers and gifts is touching but will all need clearing up.

I can't help comparing the response to Diana's death, but that was such a different scenario, tragic and premature. This is sad but natural, the Queen was very old.

oldbadger
Guru

Re: Mass hysteria?

Post #2

Post by oldbadger »

[Replying to Rose2020 in post #1]

Yes, the reaction is massive. But the Queen was held in such high regard, even leaders of republics are reacting to her death.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #2]

They are! It's a matter of true respect.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #4

Post by oldbadger »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 10:47 am [Replying to oldbadger in post #2]

They are! It's a matter of true respect.
For sure!
Her first Prime Minister was Winston Churchill, and although she loved him dear she didn't half rip him off for witholding info about his poor health...the Queen could remove power from an unable or wayward PM.
She was working two days before death discharging a past PM and requesting the incoming PM to form a government.

But now? From here onwards? I dunno.....

oldbadger
Guru

Post #5

Post by oldbadger »

The Queen's funeral today in Westminster Abbey, with a second one at Windsor for her family.

It's not everybody's idea of an event to watch, although this place is simply shutting down for it, but I cannot wait to watch and hear (about) a hundred bagpipes from every clan sounding..... if any of you have blood that was from Scotland, then may you see that....... because you won't see it again.

....... and I can't wait to watch 150 Naval ratings stamp-marching the gun carriage all the way to Marble Arch, with about 30 ratings marching as 'brake', behind. Won't ever see that again.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #6

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to oldbadger in post #5]

Bagpipes are always incredible, especially a line Piper. Nothing can be so moving.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #7

Post by oldbadger »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:15 am
Bagpipes are always incredible, especially a line Piper. Nothing can be so moving.
Magnificent.
From here....... who knows?