How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

William
Savant

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1381

Post by William »

kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:00 pm
William wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #1374]

God inspired his personal name in the OT nearly 6800 places. Because it is his will for that name to be there is why. It was called the tetragramoton= YHWH--Men replaced it with GOD or LORD all capitols. They had no right. It was done by satans will to mislead. As well in the NT where the OT is quoted and the name belongs about 200 spots. So close to 7000 spots-YHWH name was removed. It has caused much confusion as to who God is.
I hesitate to go so far as you have gone here.

"I Am That I Am" [YHWH] allows everyone the right of passage to decide for themselves as to who this entity is, to them.

So if some say "LORD" or "GOD" or "Murdering Psychopath" or "Invisible Sky Daddy" et al - there is no requirement to accuse Satan of misleading them in their deciding for themselves.

God is to everyone, whatever they choose God to being, through their world view.

The true God= Father only accepts being worshipped in spirit and truth-John 4:22-24)
The Hebrew scholars, who know the Hebrew language better than any say, there is no i am that i am in their Hebrew written OT. I will be what i will be is the correct translating of that passage.
Splitting hairs achieves nothing. "I am that I am" = "I will be what I will be." and still fits in with what I wrote; In other words;

"I will be what I will be." [YHWH] allows everyone the right of passage to decide for themselves as to who this entity is, to them.

So if some say "LORD" or "GOD" or "Murdering Psychopath" or "Invisible Sky Daddy" et al - there is no requirement to accuse Satan of misleading them in their deciding for themselves.

God is to everyone, whatever they choose God to being, through their world view.

However, since this is not the subject of the thread topic - if you want to argue it more, I suggest that another thread be created in order to do so.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #1382

Post by Diagoras »

otseng wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:06 amIs there a "scientific" description in Genesis? No. But, the Bible does make claims about reality which align with what we observe, including the area of cosmology.
<bolding mine>

This is where your claim fails, with the Bible containing multiple examples of Bronze Age thinking about (for instance) the order in which stars and planets form, the Moon being a 'light', etc. For a Creationist to cling to the belief that the Bible can be 'trusted' to provide an accurate picture of how the universe formed requires serious amounts of revisionist interpretation. "It could be meant this way", "It's supposed to be read figuratively", etc.

Because it's demonstrably true that the Bible also makes claims about reality which don't align with what we observe. And when we are faced with a source that contains both, and are reliant on fallible and biased people to 'interpret' said sources in order to sort the wheat from the chaff, then we really can't trust the Bible to give the correct answer.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #1383

Post by kjw47 »

William wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:03 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:00 pm
William wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:56 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57 pm [Replying to brunumb in post #1374]

God inspired his personal name in the OT nearly 6800 places. Because it is his will for that name to be there is why. It was called the tetragramoton= YHWH--Men replaced it with GOD or LORD all capitols. They had no right. It was done by satans will to mislead. As well in the NT where the OT is quoted and the name belongs about 200 spots. So close to 7000 spots-YHWH name was removed. It has caused much confusion as to who God is.
I hesitate to go so far as you have gone here.

"I Am That I Am" [YHWH] allows everyone the right of passage to decide for themselves as to who this entity is, to them.

The true God= Father only accepts being worshipped in spirit and truth-John 4:22-24)
The Hebrew scholars, who know the Hebrew language better than any say, there is no i am that i am in their Hebrew written OT. I will be what i will be is the correct translating of that passage.
Splitting hairs achieves nothing. "I am that I am" = "I will be what I will be." and still fits in with what I wrote; In other words;

"I will be what I will be." [YHWH] allows everyone the right of passage to decide for themselves as to who this entity is, to them.

However, since this is not the subject of the thread topic - if you want to argue it more, I suggest that another thread be created in order to do so.

Certain religions use i am that i am to claim Jesus was saying he was God when he answered the pharisees question, he just answered honestly-he lived before Abraham, they use that mistranslation to mislead.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1384

Post by JoeyKnothead »

kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:00 pm The true God= Father only accepts being worshipped in spirit and truth-John 4:22-24)
Agreed. Popeye's the one who said, "I am what I am."
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

otseng
Savant

Post #1385

Post by otseng »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #1384]

Please start another thread to continue to discuss this.

otseng
Savant

Post #1386

Post by otseng »

Diagoras wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:47 pm This is where your claim fails, with the Bible containing multiple examples of Bronze Age thinking about (for instance) the order in which stars and planets form, the Moon being a 'light', etc. For a Creationist to cling to the belief that the Bible can be 'trusted' to provide an accurate picture of how the universe formed requires serious amounts of revisionist interpretation. "It could be meant this way", "It's supposed to be read figuratively", etc.
Let's go back a step to Gen 1:1 before going to subsequent verses. Do you claim the Bible is wrong and the universe did not have a beginning and is not designed? When we address this, we can then dive into the first six days of creation.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #1387

Post by kjw47 »

otseng wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:16 am [Replying to kjw47 in post #1384]

Please start another thread to continue to discuss this.
Why, I was showing an error in certain translations. That has everything to do with the bible being errant or inerrant-- I was showing some translations cannot be trusted. The translations with the error i showed are filled with many errors to mislead by satans will. All using those translations are being mislead to support satans will over Gods will. Its done like this-2Cor 11:12-15--The same reason many will be mislead to worship the image of the beast. It will be made to look good to the mortal heart. But 99% on earth live in darkness. Its been that way all throughout the bible, the only exception ever may be when Israel stood strong, they fell over and over.

William
Savant

Post #1388

Post by William »

[Replying to kjw47 in post #1387]
However, since this is not the subject of the thread topic - if you want to argue it more, I suggest that another thread be created in order to do so. {SOURCE}

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #1389

Post by kjw47 »

William wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:28 pm [Replying to kjw47 in post #1387]
However, since this is not the subject of the thread topic - if you want to argue it more, I suggest that another thread be created in order to do so. {SOURCE}

I was showing that most bibles are error filled and cannot be trusted. Its those bibles that are contradictory. It is the subject matter being discussed.

brunumb
Savant

Post #1390

Post by brunumb »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:30 pm I was showing that most bibles are error filled and cannot be trusted. Its those bibles that are contradictory. It is the subject matter being discussed.
Before you go, please tell us which Bibles are not error filled and can be trusted.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.