Military reservists?

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Military reservists?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Why are military reservists in Russia so resistant and even frightened of being called up?

I do not understand very much of the politics going on. Are these men already trained soldiers who know and always knew they can be called up
any time? I presume they just do not agree with the reasons their country is fighting Ukraine. I thought soldiers in any country must follow orders once they join the army. It would be a different matter if they were civilians forced to train and fight. I assume we in the UK also have reservists.

Please excuse my ignorance on warfare. All I see is on the main BBC news. I do not know enough of the history of this war to make a proper opinion, I am just asking about the reservists.

Miles
Savant

Re: Military reservists?

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm Why are military reservists in Russia so resistant and even frightened of being called up?
They don't want to be killed, which, considering the deplorable caliber of military leadership, is all too likely.
I do not understand very much of the politics going on. Are these men already trained soldiers who know and always knew they can be called up
any time? I presume they just do not agree with the reasons their country is fighting Ukraine. I thought soldiers in any country must follow orders once they join the army. It would be a different matter if they were civilians forced to train and fight.
While they've no doubt been trained, as reservists they likely haven't kept up on their training, but rather spending their days in a machine shop or grocery store. And while they are trained to follow orders, as we've seen in previous battles Russian soldiers aren't so dumb as not to recognize when they've been licked and refusing to obey, retreat.

It appears that Russia has pretty much used up its best soldiers and weaponry and is quite desperate to make a good showing in a last effort to topple the Ukraine.

My money is on he Ukraine.
I assume we in the UK also have reservists.
Yes you do: https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... monitoring

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

So, there really is no doubt that Putin is failing.

Tcg
Savant

Post #4

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:47 pm Why are military reservists in Russia so resistant and even frightened of being called up?
Have you ever heard the stories of folks who have been in war? One of my best friends is a Vietnam Vet. The memories that are most disturbing to him are those where he aimed at another human's head and blew it off. Would you enjoy doing that?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by Difflugia »

Tcg wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pmHave you ever heard the stories of folks who have been in war? One of my best friends is a Vietnam Vet. The memories that are most disturbing to him are those where he aimed at another human's head and blew it off. Would you enjoy doing that?
My dad was in the Air Force during Vietnam, but was a weather-observer stationed on a SAC base and never saw actual conflict. He made sure that my brothers and I were never inclined to join the military, though.

I'm the right age (high school class of 1989) to have known a lot of people from high school, college, and the early part of my career that served in various US military conflicts. Some talked about it, some talked when we drank, and some didn't talk at all. A friend from college served in Iraq as a machine-gunner on a tank. When asked about it, he only ever said that "when you're in a tank, sometimes you shoot people." I'm pretty sure my dad did me a huge favor.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:11 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:49 pmHave you ever heard the stories of folks who have been in war? One of my best friends is a Vietnam Vet. The memories that are most disturbing to him are those where he aimed at another human's head and blew it off. Would you enjoy doing that?
My dad was in the Air Force during Vietnam, but was a weather-observer stationed on a SAC base and never saw actual conflict. He made sure that my brothers and I were never inclined to join the military, though.

I'm the right age (high school class of 1989) to have known a lot of people from high school, college, and the early part of my career that served in various US military conflicts. Some talked about it, some talked when we drank, and some didn't talk at all. A friend from college served in Iraq as a machine-gunner on a tank. When asked about it, he only ever said that "when you're in a tank, sometimes you shoot people." I'm pretty sure my dad did me a huge favor.
I think he did. One night my friend talked in depth about a certain event where he shot someone. It just so happened that the next morning we got back together. I asked a follow up question. He looked at me like he was trying to decide whether or not he should rip my head off. I learned to never ask about his war experiences. I was always willing to listen when he wanted to talk about it, but the trauma he experienced changed him fundamentally. Let's see, why would one not want to experience that?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]

Just to add here what I may not have explained well, my friend didn't regret the idea that he may have died. He didn't fear the idea of dying for his country. In fact, when 911 happened he tried to reenlist with the marines. He was of course way too old to be accepted. What haunted him was not the possibility that he may have died, but rather the fact that he did in fact kill other human beings. He was willing to die for his country he just hated that he had to kill for it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #8

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #4]

Of course I understand. I just thought if anyone joins the army of their own country, they must fight when called upon.

Presumably they don't get to choose when or where or how.

But this is good news as it means Putin is doomed to fail.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #9

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #7]

Sadly in warfare it is inevitable. Kill or be killed. I cannot even imagine it, I wish wars never happened. To me it is all madness.

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #10

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]

Indeed war is appalling. I cannot imagine.