Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Getting to know more about a specific belief

Moderator: Moderators

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Mathew 16 verses 13-20.

Atheists who come here often ask Christian believers for proof, evidence that Jesus was who He said He was in the Bible.

I say carefully read the section above. No human being can convince someone that God exists, that Jesus is Messiah. The question always has to be - who do YOU think He is? The answer always has to be answered by God Himself. Only He can change your heart and bring you to faith, if you are open to it. Life can and does bring people to that place.

This is true for me. I was an atheist until I decided I could not live life that way any longer. So I prayed and the faith came to me. I have absolutely no doubt.

So who do you say Jesus was?

User avatar
Miles
Prodigy
Posts: 3853
Joined: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:19 pm
Has thanked: 326 times
Been thanked: 1130 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:34 pm [Replying to Miles in post #6]

You think God, the creator of the universe needs to explain to you?
Not "need," but see fit to. After all, you said "You will have your chance to speak with Him too. We each will." And I assume this would include asking questions. If I can't do that and receive reasonable answers, then I can only conclude he's ashamed of what he did, and hardly qualifies as a god deserving of my respect. So, ball's in his court.

.

User avatar
Difflugia
Prodigy
Posts: 2621
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:25 am
Location: Michigan
Has thanked: 2510 times
Been thanked: 1689 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #12

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Sep 11, 2022 10:54 amSo who do you say Jesus was?
A fictional (or at least fictionalized) character that was (and indeed continues to be) reimagined by a number of authors in similar, but not entirely compatible ways. Modern examples would be Conan the Barbarian, James Bond, or the characters in the Warrior Cats series of juvenile novels.

If Jesus was in fact a real person, then a more apt example might be Queen Elizabeth I, about whom many different fictional novels have been written. While all should recognizably reflect what we know of the historical queen (though some of our "knowledge" might indeed be legendary itself), there's also plenty of room for fictional elements. One of my favorite fantasy series, for example, is the Double Edge series by Mercedes Lackey and Roberta Gellis, which chronicles the life of the young princess and the retinue of elves from the "light court" sworn to protect her from the dark. She ultimately falls in love with the dashing Elf Lord Denoriel, but since precious few mortals may know of his existence, she is known to all but her inner circle as "the virgin queen."

I find it fun to look up details to see which are based on historical data and which are fictional constructs of the authors. I don't have to look up the parts about magic elves, though. Just sayin'.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #13

Post by Rose2020 »

May I clarify again, speaking in particular to any atheists here.
Absolutely nobody led me directly to Christ. It was the power of the Holy Spirit after I became willing to repent and accept Jesus that it happened.
Having said that, many seeds had been planted in my life that now came to fruition, that is the work of Christians. To plant.

This I am reminded about while reflecting on how after Jesus was crucified, His disciples fled and hid. It could have been the end yet was not. Something happened to fill them with strength like never before. It was the Holy Spirit lighting them up, firing their hearts and sending them off in all directions to spread the good news of Jesus. Later Saul of Tarsus, a hardened heart if ever there was one, was converted dramatically. He had persecuted Christians, now he became the greatest of the apostles despite never having met Jesus in the flesh.

So it becomes clear, without the Holy Spirit there cannot be ignition and growth as a follower of Jesus. The heart must be open to receiving before anything miraculous happens.

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7867
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1795 times
Been thanked: 1977 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:13 pm May I clarify again, speaking in particular to any atheists here.
Absolutely nobody led me directly to Christ.
I'm an atheist so you're speaking to me. How then did you first hear of Christ?


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7867
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1795 times
Been thanked: 1977 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

Tcg wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:17 am
Rose2020 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:13 pm May I clarify again, speaking in particular to any atheists here.
Absolutely nobody led me directly to Christ.
I'm an atheist so you're speaking to me. How then did you first hear of Christ?


Tcg
I can't determine if it is crickets I'm hearing, or rather not hearing, or Paul Simon's song.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

User avatar
Rose2020
Scholar
Posts: 356
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:54 am
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 47 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #16

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #14]

Good question. I was aware of the Bible and the story of Jesus since childhood. It is only when I seriously read the Bible myself and entered into sincere prayer at times of trouble that I realised Jesus is real and he hears us. The real relationship a person has with Him is what matters. I hope you do know Him one day.

User avatar
Tcg
Savant
Posts: 7867
Joined: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:01 am
Location: Third Stone
Has thanked: 1795 times
Been thanked: 1977 times

Re: Who do YOU think Jesus is?

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:34 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #14]

Good question. I was aware of the Bible and the story of Jesus since childhood. It is only when I seriously read the Bible myself and entered into sincere prayer at times of trouble that I realised Jesus is real and he hears us. The real relationship a person has with Him is what matters. I hope you do know Him one day.
So then obviously you were taught about Jesus before you accepted him. No surprise there, that is always the case.

No need to worry about me. I experienced precisely the same thing many Christians do. I was after all a Christian. I simply came to the realization that there is no reason to accept that those experiences were based on a relationship with Christ. Folks have all kinds of comforting experiences and interpret them in many diverse ways. The experience doesn't prove their interpretations of them are true. I once knew Jesus or at least the experience some describe as knowing Jesus. No need to return to the past. I know better now.


Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists


Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc


I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Post Reply