Genesis 1:28

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Genesis 1:28

Post #1

Post by William »

“And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” KJV
The above sounds like a stage in an ongoing project.

replenish = fill (in this case - the earth) up again. To restore (a stock or supply) to a former level or condition.

[This implies that humans once used to be plentiful and something happened which diminished the Human stock.]
Re Genesis 1:28

QFB: After this is accomplished, what then?

Miles
Savant

Re: Genesis 1:28

Post #2

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:48 pm
“And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.” KJV

The above sounds like a stage in an ongoing project.

replenish = fill (in this case - the earth) up again. To restore (a stock or supply) to a former level or condition.

[This implies that humans once used to be plentiful and something happened which diminished the Human stock.]
Re Genesis 1:28

It certainly does.

re·plen·ish
/rəˈpleniSH/
verb: replenish; 3rd person present: replenishes; past tense: replenished; past participle: replenished; gerund or present participle: replenishing
fill (something) up again.
"he replenished Justin's glass with mineral water"
source: Oxford Languages Dictionary

Like this isn't the first time Earth had to be supplied or filled. Makes one wonder what the Earth had before this replenishing, and what happened that it needs to be filled again. And what's god hiding? Did he and the angels have a previous meltdown while on Earth and pretty much destroy it all? Could this be why Satan rebelled: god's incompetent handing of Earth was just too much to put up with? Yet once again god is trying to put together a well functioning planet, but is obvious failing.

Considering the sorry state of the Earth right now my bet is that god will have become so frustrated with trying to get it right that he will abandon the whole project and let it fall apart on its own.

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #2]

It appears that you are saying that the 'sorry state' is indicative that the point of achieving the instruction is doomed to failure.
So, not even any hope in scientific discoveries diverting doomsday?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Difflugia »

William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:48 pmreplenish = fill (in this case - the earth) up again. To restore (a stock or supply) to a former level or condition.
In Victorian English, "replenish" means "fill." Lexicon entry, מלא starting in the middle of the left column.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

Difflugia wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:00 pm
William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:48 pmreplenish = fill (in this case - the earth) up again. To restore (a stock or supply) to a former level or condition.
In Victorian English, "replenish" means "fill." Lexicon entry, מלא starting in the middle of the left column.
Another example of Greek/Roman [Christian] mistranslation of Hebrew language. :)

So - any thoughts on the OPQ?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Difflugia »

William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:20 pmAnother example of Greek/Roman [Christian] mistranslation of Hebrew language. :)
It's more a misunderstanding based on archaic English that was correct at the time. The Latin of Jerome's Vulgate reads et replete terram, "and fill the Earth."
William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:20 pmSo - any thoughts on the OPQ?
As I read it, the verse is God's commandment to humanity to fill the brand new and empty Earth with people.

In addition to my curmudgeonly naysaying, what I do read out of that verse is that Genesis 1:27-30 isn't referring to the creation of a man and a woman, but men and women. God created a whole humanity in the first creation account, not just one of each.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

Difflugia wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:36 pm
William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:20 pmAnother example of Greek/Roman [Christian] mistranslation of Hebrew language. :)
It's more a misunderstanding based on archaic English that was correct at the time. The Latin of Jerome's Vulgate reads et replete terram, "and fill the Earth."
As I read it, the verse is God's commandment to humanity to fill the brand new and empty Earth with people.

In addition to my curmudgeonly naysaying, what I do read out of that verse is that Genesis 1:27-30 isn't referring to the creation of a man and a woman, but men and women. God created a whole humanity in the first creation account, not just one of each.
Sectors of Judaism have it that the garden story is metaphor and understand things along the same lines as you have expressed.

Re filling the earth and subduing it;

tam
Savant

Post #8

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Difflugia wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:36 pm
Yes, thank you! I always have a hard time trying to explain that to people. The meaning of words can change over time, and if you want to know what someone meant by a word a thousand years ago (or sometimes even just a hundred years ago), you have to look at what that word meant THEN.

Well, technically, that is correct. Women are born with all the eggs that they will ever produce, and each of those eggs that goes on to be born female, also has all the eggs in them that they will ever produce. And so on and so on. So that in Eve was every person who was ever going to be born.

Peace again to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:38 pm [Replying to Miles in post #2]

It appears that you are saying that the 'sorry state' is indicative that the point of achieving the instruction is doomed to failure.
So, not even any hope in scientific discoveries diverting doomsday?
Not sure what "instruction" you're referring to, but I was only looking at the situation from a Christian standpoint that posits a loving, omnipotent god who has evidently lost his mojo and concern, and left Earth in a pretty sorry state. With it's population continuing to soar and its resources continuing to dwindle how much longer can the world take care of its creatures? Not all that long. So, I don't see it going out with a doomsday bang, but a hungry, grasping whimper; fighting each other for a last mouthful of grass.

Last edited by Miles on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

William
Savant

Post #10

Post by William »

[Replying to Miles in post #9]
Not sure what "instruction" you're referring to
Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: etc...
I don't see it going out with a doomsday bang, but a grasping, hungry whimper; fighting each other for a last mouthful of grass.
So, not even any hope in scientific discoveries diverting doom?