Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

Why would a being so vast and powerful that it could create not just our entire world just by thinking it so, but the universe as well, why would such an entity rely on an ancient nomadic tribe and copies of copies, translations of translations by dozens of different authors to communicate with us?

Such an all powerful and unimaginable intelligence could easily communicate with each and every individual directly and continuously. 'Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

__ Luke 12:6-7
For debate: Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Miles
Savant

Re: Why Would God Use an Intermediary and Ancient Scribes

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm Why would a being so vast and powerful that it could create not just our entire world just by thinking it so, but the universe as well, why would such an entity rely on an ancient nomadic tribe and copies of copies, translations of translations by dozens of different authors to communicate with us?

Such an all powerful and unimaginable intelligence could easily communicate with each and every individual directly and continuously. 'Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

__ Luke 12:6-7
For debate: Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?
Absolutely, but not if that message was the concoction of religious pooh bahs looking to establish control over a people.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm ... Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?
I think God's way is reasonable. Those who remain in truth will see the truth and those who hate the truth, would ignore it anyway. So, it really doesn't matter is it done in this way. And because God has chosen this way, I believe it is the best way, even though you may disagree.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:13 am
Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm ... Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?
I think God's way is reasonable. Those who remain in truth will see the truth and those who hate the truth, would ignore it anyway. So, it really doesn't matter is it done in this way. And because God has chosen this way, I believe it is the best way, even though you may disagree.
And what of those poor souls who never heard of the truth, OR who were so poorly taught that they remain unconvinced? Not all preachers are the same by a long shot, and not all prospective believers come equally ready to believe. As I see it, the reason for unbelief lies in the hands of god's failure to get his "word" to everyone, and with his failed "missionaries," preachers, priests and such, who couldn't convince a soaking dog to come in out of the rain.

bjs1
Sage

Post #5

Post by bjs1 »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm Why would a being so vast and powerful that it could create not just our entire world just by thinking it so, but the universe as well, why would such an entity rely on an ancient nomadic tribe and copies of copies, translations of translations by dozens of different authors to communicate with us?
One possibility is that this God invites people to be a part of His work on earth. Instead of doing everything without us, in a real and meaningful way God includes the people who desire to participate in what He is doing in this world.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Diagoras
Guru

Post #6

Post by Diagoras »

bjs1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:40 pm One possibility is that this God invites people to be a part of His work on earth. Instead of doing everything without us, in a real and meaningful way God includes the people who desire to participate in what He is doing in this world.
<bolding mine>

How would someone like Isaac fit into this ‘desire to participate’?

I could perhaps see some merit in a ‘use an intermediary as a test of faith’ argument, but I’m not sure that you can claim that it’s simply an invitation.

bjs1
Sage

Post #7

Post by bjs1 »

Diagoras wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:21 pm
bjs1 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:40 pm One possibility is that this God invites people to be a part of His work on earth. Instead of doing everything without us, in a real and meaningful way God includes the people who desire to participate in what He is doing in this world.
<bolding mine>

How would someone like Isaac fit into this ‘desire to participate’?

I could perhaps see some merit in a ‘use an intermediary as a test of faith’ argument, but I’m not sure that you can claim that it’s simply an invitation.

Obviously I cannot speak with certainty on the topic, but it is likely that Isaac did desire to participate even though it meant his death. We don’t know how old Isaac was when he was taken to be sacrificed, but he was old enough to carry the wood for the fire while Abraham was over 100 years old. It is unlikely that a man of that age could have physically forced a strong young man to be a sacrifice. Within the context of Genesis Isaac almost certainly had to willingly agree with what Abraham was doing. This was as much a test of faith for Isaac as it was for Abraham.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

POI
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by POI »

Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm For debate: Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?
Oh oh, I know this one. I got THE answer from a theist, a while back. Here it goes....

Paraphrased -- "God does not want us to worship the book. This is why God did not write it himself. All would just worship <the book>. -- And that would be idolatry."

No, it's better then to perform many miracles in the ancient passed, reveal himself to some in the ancient passed, and await the much later flawed methodology of human recordings -- from their own viewpoints. Just like every other claimed holy book. Yes, that's it...

Carry on :)
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Diogenes
Guru

Post #9

Post by Diogenes »

POI wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:21 pm
Diogenes wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm For debate: Isn't it unreasonable to think a God that created the universe would rely upon a scattering of ancient authors to communicate his most import message to all of humanity?
Oh oh, I know this one. I got THE answer from a theist, a while back. Here it goes....

Paraphrased -- "God does not want us to worship the book. This is why God did not write it himself. All would just worship <the book>. -- And that would be idolatry."

No, it's better then to perform many miracles in the ancient passed, reveal himself to some in the ancient passed, and await the much later flawed methodology of human recordings -- from their own viewpoints. Just like every other claimed holy book. Yes, that's it...

Carry on :)
:) As if that idolatry of 'The Book' did not happen anyway. That is exactly what has happened to the Biblical literalists - they've made an idol of their scripture. They worship the Bible, not God, and they do not even realize it. But it is demonstrably true, because their god is what their book says 'he' is. If someone describes a god that they think does not fit their interpretation of what their book says, then the god, is not God.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:07 pm And what of those poor souls who never heard of the truth, OR who were so poorly taught that they remain unconvinced? Not all preachers are the same by a long shot, and not all prospective believers come equally ready to believe. ...
What I meant with remaining in truth doesn't require person hears everything. And I think the main point is to be honest to oneself. For example not claim to know something that one doesn't really know. Not being convinced of something is not the problem, being dishonest is.