Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Tax exemptions and lobbying

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the article here:
The Hill wrote: The U.S. Catholic Church spent more than $10 million on lobbyists over seven years to delay statute of limitations reforms from going into effect in eight states, according to a new report.
For debate:

Should tax exempt churches be allowed to lobby the goverment?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Tax exemptions and lobbying

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:53 pmShould tax exempt churches be allowed to lobby the goverment?
The US government shouldn't be funding churches.

Churches shouldn't be allowed to lobby the government.

Both represent conflicts of interest that directly invite the corruption of "Congress shall make no law..."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by Purple Knight »

Frankly I think any lobbying should be prohibited. Money, goods, or services always change hands and that's a bribe.

I'm usually on the side of the religiosos when it comes to law. That's how it happens anyway. Some people want to make a law barring atheists from serving in government? Yeah sure make a law that only excludes honest people and see what happens. That's what states are for: To test policy. Make whatever crazy state laws you want. Pee your own bed and see how many people will sleep in it with you. Holocaust the atheists and I'll laugh when your literacy drops by 10%. I'm secure knowing that the category I am in is useful, beneficial, and if anything other categories are more often parasitic on mine, so I don't need legal coddling. I don't need protection. Flush me down the toilet and see what happens.

This time, however, no. No lobbying. No bribes. I don't care if you're religious or not. And I particularly can't fathom what more churches could possibly want from the government since they already pay no taxes and the First Amendment allows religious people to break any laws they happen to dislike for religious reasons.

If they want free money they should just say they believe in Theivo and that it's their religion to rob people. First Amendment. Boom, legally protected muggings. If you fight back you not only go to jail, you get cancelled because omg how could you disrespect their religion like that sooooo culturally insensitive.

bjs1
Sage

Post #4

Post by bjs1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:53 pm From the article here:
The Hill wrote: The U.S. Catholic Church spent more than $10 million on lobbyists over seven years to delay statute of limitations reforms from going into effect in eight states, according to a new report.
For debate:

According to the IRS, “section501(c)(3) status if a substantial part of its activities is attempting to influence legislation (commonly known as lobbying). A 501(c)(3) organization may engage in some lobbying, but too much lobbying activity risks loss of tax-exempt status.”

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-profits/lobbying

Is $10 million too much lobbying? It is a large number on its own. On the other had it is a small number when compared to what most lobbying campaigns cost or when compared to RCC annual budget. And there is reason to doubt the report (vague on exactly where the numbers come from) and source of the report (a law firm suing the RCC). As of yet the IRS has not taken a more unbiased look at the issue.

I have serious issues with lobbying in general, but so far the RCC appears to be following American laws.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:53 pm From the article here:
For debate:

I think a better question is, "Should tax exempt churches be allowed?"

But in answer to your question, Yes I do. I think all organizations have the right to lobby. I believe it 's protected by the First Amendment, if I remember correctly.