How many religions came from America?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How many religions came from America?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Re: How many religions came from America?

Post #31

Post by oldbadger »

Tcg wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:44 pm
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:14 pm
It doesnt matter where a religion began as long as Jesus is the head of it.
Why? What difference does it make that Jesus is the head of it, whatever that means?

Tcg
I don't think that many Christians recognise Jesus as the head of it, they tend to think of him as either God or God's son.
Catholics would see the Pope as the Head, and CofE Brits think of the King as the Head...... I suppose. etc

I suppose they believe that Jesus created the universe, maybe more?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #32

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:43 am
kjw47 wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:29 pm
The fact God used Paul as a bible writer proves he taught truth. Paul went through hell standing up for Jesus.
Thanks for your reply....

Bible writer? What?
Paul wrote letters to folks, a few, but he was standing up for a church and he absolutely did not refer to anything that Jesus ever said/did.
The people who wrote depositions (later called gospels) about Jesus DID refer to what Jesus said and did; it just remains for readers to decide which of those depositions are true.

Paul's letters........ about churches.
Gospel writer's depositions........about Jesus.

A difference.

Pauls teachings did back what Jesus taught--John 4:22-24= Jesus--1 Cor 8:5-6 = Paul--Only the Father named as the true God, after both warned of the other gods being false.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #33

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:33 pm
Pauls teachings did back what Jesus taught--John 4:22-24= Jesus--1 Cor 8:5-6 = Paul--Only the Father named as the true God, after both warned of the other gods being false.
If only the author of G-John had been there, heard Jesus....but that's another conversation, really.

Yes...No!..... Paul never wrote a sentence about Jesus! (except for a meal, an execution and coming back to life)..... nothing.

He might have told us about an actual sentence spoken, or some act...but no. Nothing.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #34

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:37 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:33 pm
If only the author of G-John had been there, heard Jesus....but that's another conversation, really.

Yes...No!..... Paul never wrote a sentence about Jesus! (except for a meal, an execution and coming back to life)..... nothing.

He might have told us about an actual sentence spoken, or some act...but no. Nothing.

What Jesus taught had already been recorded--Jesus promised to his real teachers that he would send holy spirit to guide them into all truth, Paul taught others truths by holy spirit that Jesus didnt teach.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #35

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 pm
What Jesus taught had already been recorded--Jesus promised to his real teachers that he would send holy spirit to guide them into all truth, Paul taught others truths by holy spirit that Jesus didnt teach.
Taught? Jesus certainly wasn't a teacher, more of a speaker.
Look, very few people could understand what he said, even his mates had difficulty with this and mentioned it.
Jesus made speeches, and I don't think that the long winded ones came from him because it was very unlikely that anybody was around to write down exactly what he said........ writing was an expensive business, so Northern Jewish folks had to memorise everything.

So the short sharp sayings would and could be remembered:-
Close friends before family!
Let 'Yes' and 'No' be your true words.
I support all the old laws!

............... stuff like that, but those long speeches? I doubt those.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #36

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 1:47 am
kjw47 wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:40 pm
Taught? Jesus certainly wasn't a teacher, more of a speaker.
Look, very few people could understand what he said, even his mates had difficulty with this and mentioned it.
Jesus made speeches, and I don't think that the long winded ones came from him because it was very unlikely that anybody was around to write down exactly what he said........ writing was an expensive business, so Northern Jewish folks had to memorise everything.

So the short sharp sayings would and could be remembered:-
Close friends before family!
Let 'Yes' and 'No' be your true words.
I support all the old laws!

............... stuff like that, but those long speeches? I doubt those.

The bible writers were guided by Holy spirit to write the letters that became the bible books. God knew every single word, because those words originated with him first-John 5:30.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #37

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:02 pm
The bible writers were guided by Holy spirit to write the letters that became the bible books. God knew every single word, because those words originated with him first-John 5:30.
Hello again...
There's a problem with the above, because if the 'bible-writers' were all governed by the Holy Spirit then all their writings would have matched with, paralleled, corroborated with..... each other.
And they don't... G-Mark is a totally differing account to G-John, etc....
And there are obvious contradictions.......

And so if you are correct about Holy Spirit guidance then some books, letters and gospels are impostors, and humans were mistaken when they included the wrong ones in the NT.
In which case, either some of the books were snuck-in to the bible by the Devil and not the Holy Spirit, or you are wrong about Holy spirit guidance.

Do you see what I mean?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #38

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:24 am
kjw47 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:02 pm
Hello again...
There's a problem with the above, because if the 'bible-writers' were all governed by the Holy Spirit then all their writings would have matched with, paralleled, corroborated with..... each other.
And they don't... G-Mark is a totally differing account to G-John, etc....
And there are obvious contradictions.......

And so if you are correct about Holy Spirit guidance then some books, letters and gospels are impostors, and humans were mistaken when they included the wrong ones in the NT.
In which case, either some of the books were snuck-in to the bible by the Devil and not the Holy Spirit, or you are wrong about Holy spirit guidance.

Do you see what I mean?

What contradictions?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by Difflugia »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 amWhat contradictions?
This is fascinating. You seem to have knowledge of the Bible and the internet that are both at least adequate, yet you've somehow never noticed the contradictions nor had them pointed out to you. That's an extraordinarily unusual combination.

Many threads have appeared in this forum alone discussing contradictions, a number involving a lot of detail. Here are a few in which I've participated. A broader search will find many others:

Resolved: Jesus Rose from the Dead
Thinking of Explanations
Bible Contradiction #1
A simple---but serious---question
Inerrancy, harmonization, and understanding
Contradictions in the NT - and does it matter?
Was Judas Really That Bad?
Biblical opinion and facts.
Are the four gospels consistent?
Bible difficulties and their harmonizations
Do some Christians acknowledge Bible contradictions?
Apologetics of contradiction
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #40

Post by kjw47 »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:41 pm
kjw47 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:57 amWhat contradictions?
This is fascinating. You seem to have knowledge of the Bible and the internet that are both at least adequate, yet you've somehow never noticed the contradictions nor had them pointed out to you. That's an extraordinarily unusual combination.

Many threads have appeared in this forum alone discussing contradictions, a number involving a lot of detail. Here are a few in which I've participated. A broader search will find many others:

Resolved: Jesus Rose from the Dead
Thinking of Explanations
Bible Contradiction #1
A simple---but serious---question
Inerrancy, harmonization, and understanding
Contradictions in the NT - and does it matter?
Was Judas Really That Bad?
Biblical opinion and facts.
Are the four gospels consistent?
Bible difficulties and their harmonizations
Do some Christians acknowledge Bible contradictions?
Apologetics of contradiction

I have noticed many contradictions in trinity translations. They contradict Jesus to the core. The NEW world translation fixed the errors and put Gods name back where God willed it to be. Condemned by all using the altered and error filled translations.