Is Gay Marriage Considered a Sin?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For debate:

Is same sex marriage a sin?
If so, where does the Bible say this?
Further, why is it a sin?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Savant

Re: Is Gay Marriage Considered a Sin?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:47 pm For debate:

I think people call things too easily sin. It is not necessary usually. In this case I would just say, same sex marriage is stupid, because there is no intelligent reason for that.

POI
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by POI »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:56 am
POI wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 2:47 pm For debate:

I think people call things too easily sin. It is not necessary usually. In this case I would just say, same sex marriage is stupid, because there is no intelligent reason for that.
I'm not asking for personal Christian opinions. I'm asking if God deems this transaction a sin or not? Can you answer the (3) given questions? If not, then thank you anyways.

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Got this from a fundamentalist Christian web site.

While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage.
source

Which is good enough for me.

POI
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:56 pm Got this from a fundamentalist Christian web site.

While the Bible does address homosexuality, it does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage.
source

In that source, it states: "Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage."

Thus, it sounds like you would answer as the following:

Is same sex marriage a sin? yes
If so, where does the Bible say this? It does not say directly, I assume so based upon what God says about adjacent subject matter.
Further, why is it a sin? It offends god because this is not god's intended contract.

Are the above answers in red acceptable? If not, feel free to adjust where need-be...

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:56 pm Got this from a fundamentalist Christian web site.

source

In that source, it states: "Gay marriage/same-sex marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage."

If so, where does the Bible say this? It does not say directly, I assume so based upon what God says about adjacent subject matter.
Further, why is it a sin? It offends god because this is not god's intended contract.

Are the above answers in red acceptable? If not, feel free to adjust where need-be...
Actually, the point of posting the quote was to show that even Bible Thumpers acknowledge that the Bible does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. That and no more. However, your answers are in keeping with the reasoning of homophobic Christians who dearly need to believe same sex marriage is a sin, despite the Bible remaining silent on the subject. For one thing, they pretend there's no difference between homosexuals who engage in sex, who their god of love and compassion clearly detests, and those homosexuals who stay chaste, who god completely ignores. BUT "Throw 'em all into the same pot. They all boil up the same anyway." the homophobic Christians cry. "Who needs people who aren't like us, anyway!

POI
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm

source

Actually, the point of posting the quote was to show that even Bible Thumpers acknowledge that the Bible does not explicitly mention gay marriage/same-sex marriage. That and no more. However, your answers are in keeping with the reasoning of homophobic Christians who dearly need to believe same sex marriage is a sin, despite the Bible remaining silent on the subject. For one thing, they pretend there's no difference between homosexuals who engage in sex, who their god of love and compassion clearly detests, and those homosexuals who stay chaste, who god completely ignores. BUT "Throw 'em all into the same pot. They all boil up the same anyway." the homophobic Christians cry. "Who needs people who aren't like us, anyway!

So the God of the Bible has no opinion on the matter then?

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:14 pm
Miles wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:33 pm

source

So the God of the Bible has no opinion on the matter then?
None that I'm aware of.

POI
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 am None that I'm aware of.
If the Bible does not mention something specific at all, does this mean it's okay by God? Meaning, God has given His opinion on every specific subject/topic completely. If it's not written on the direct given naughty list, He's okay with it?

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 am
Miles wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:28 am None that I'm aware of.
If the Bible does not mention something specific at all, does this mean it's okay by God? Meaning, God has given His opinion on every specific subject/topic completely. If it's not written on the direct given naughty list, He's okay with it?
Considering how much human activity god has come down on, I think that if he was against homosexuality he would certainly have said so by now. Now he might not think being sexually attracted to someone of the same sex is admirable, but he's never said so or even come close to calling it immoral. So, although god gives homosexual sex a Image the same can't be said of homosexuality.