The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

The proposition for debate is that when one takes the tales of Genesis literally, one becomes intellectually disabled, at least temporarily. Taking Genesis literally requires one to reject biology (which includes evolution) and other sciences in favor of 'magic.' Geology and radiometric dating have to be rejected since the Earth formed only about 6000 years ago, during the same week the Earth was made (in a single day).

Much of the debate in the topic of Science and Religion consists of theists who insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis rejecting basic science. Most of the resulting debates are not worth engaging in.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Clownboat
Savant

Re: The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #91

Post by Clownboat »

dad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:08 pm
Clownboat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:05 pm You are far too easily impressed it seems.

Who are you?
I am that I am.
Nevertheless Jesus pointed out that He was God and had always been here. I think that is above the pay grade of physical science.
Are you referring to religious promotional material found within the Bible? I wasn't aware that Jesus wrote any of it. Where did Jesus make this claim?

How is the Bible more of an authority when compared to the Qu'ran or the Veda's to just name two?
Are we really to use holy books to inform us about the world we live in?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Diagoras
Guru

Post #92

Post by Diagoras »

dad1 wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:25 pmAt creation we were told <…>
There’s the key phrase.

Creationists accept what they are ‘told’ in ancient texts and are forced to disregard or warp any evidence provided by observation.

It’s wilful blindness to facts, which is debilitating.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #93

Post by Diogenes »

dad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:13 pm
Diogenes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:59 am If you actually read the Jewish Bible, you learn that there were other gods.
They actually were mostly, as Trump used to say, fake news. There also were fallen angels, evil spirits that empowered some of those fake gods and were thought of a gods also. There is only One God in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Not only do you not understand science, you apparently misunderstand the Bible as well.

For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the Lord.

__ Exodus 12:12

There are many other Biblical references to the Israelite's belief in polytheism.
https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/201 ... 7e2ba30000
You not only do not understand science, you don't understand, or haven't read, the very scriptures you claim to follow.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #94

Post by dad1 »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30 pm
Science is a method, not something to hate.
Or worship blindly. The problem is that method is 100% belief based when it comes to origin sciences. Hard to respect such a con job.
However, if you do dislike the mechanism that is science, can you point to a better mechanism that we should all be using in place of the scientific method?

The better thing is to admit you do not know. Period. Also coming clean about the con would be a good thing.

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #95

Post by dad1 »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm
Are you referring to religious promotional material found within the Bible? I wasn't aware that Jesus wrote any of it. Where did Jesus make this claim?
John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
How is the Bible more of an authority when compared to the Qu'ran or the Veda's to just name two?
Can you point out where in the quran it tells about how earth was created?
Since science doesn't know where we came from, that only leaves so many options

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #96

Post by dad1 »

Diagoras wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:22 pm There’s the key phrase.

Creationists accept what they are ‘told’ in ancient texts and are forced to disregard or warp any evidence provided by observation.

It’s wilful blindness to facts, which is debilitating.
Your willful blindness that faith based blather called science falsely is what is debilitating. Pot, meet kettle

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #97

Post by dad1 »

Diogenes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:02 pm
dad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:13 pm
Diogenes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:59 am If you actually read the Jewish Bible, you learn that there were other gods.
They actually were mostly, as Trump used to say, fake news. There also were fallen angels, evil spirits that empowered some of those fake gods and were thought of a gods also. There is only One God in the Hebrew Scriptures.

Not only do you not understand science, you apparently misunderstand the Bible as well.

For I will pass through the land of Egypt that night, and I will strike all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and on all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgments: I am the Lord.

__ Exodus 12:12

There are many other Biblical references to the Israelite's belief in polytheism.
https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/201 ... 7e2ba30000
You not only do not understand science, you don't understand, or haven't read, the very scriptures you claim to follow.
Maybe tell us what you think is the point in that post?

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #98

Post by Bust Nak »

dad1 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:01 pm The world has been under the same set of forces and laws a long time now. Of course it has been uniform for a long time and that principle is good for several thousand years. The problem comes in mentally trying to extend it beyond this,

The oldest history and records actually show that things were not the same. Spirits were living with men and mingling openly, marrying, etc. People lived many centuries. So it was certainly not uniform.
Why this and not the world was always uniform therefore those stories are false? Why believe those instead what you can test scientifically?

Clownboat
Savant

Post #99

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:30 pm
Science is a method, not something to hate.

Or worship blindly.
Also correct, but I have NEVER met a person that worships the method of doing things that we call science.
Person A: "How do you paint a car?"
Person B: "I love how you do it and I'm going to worship how you paint cars?"
Clearly your claim is false and silly to boot.
The problem is that method is 100% belief based when it comes to origin sciences.
We do not know how the universe formed nor how life began on earth. To pick a god and pretend that is how it happened is lazy and stops future investigations.
Science investigates and has no issue with 'we don't know'.
Religions make claims and invent answers for things that we don't know.
Hard to respect such a con job.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
However, if you do dislike the mechanism that is science, can you point to a better mechanism that we should all be using in place of the scientific method?
The better thing is to admit you do not know.
I did that just above and you failed to point to a better mechanism. You really have no better method and just want to complain?
Will you be honorable and also acknowledge that you don't know how the universe came to be nor how life began on this planet? Can you be as honest as myself?
Also coming clean about the con would be a good thing.
I corrected your mistaken belief about science and the origin for the universe and life (science doesn't know nor claim to know).
Now is your chance to come clean. Let's leave your god out of it because that will be too close to home. Are creation stories from all the other religions a con, or accurate? Again, don't think about your own beliefs, just all the other creator god options out there for us to choose from. Those... Are those a con?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #100

Post by Clownboat »

Clownboat wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:37 pm
John 8:58
Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
Woops, I think you forgot your own claim! Not to mention we don't know who wrote John, but it certainly wasn't Jesus.
Your claim was: Copy/paste: "Nevertheless Jesus pointed out that He was God"
Sorry, he didn't.
Can you point out where in the quran it tells about how earth was created?
Perhaps it is a reading comprehension issue, so I'll try again:
"How is the Bible more of an authority when compared to the Qu'ran or the Veda's to just name two?"
Since science doesn't know where we came from, that only leaves so many options
Again, reading comprehension issue? I asked about using holy books to inform us. I did not claim that science knows where we came from, yet that is what you chose to responed to. Perhaps your not feeling well today?

Either way, when we don't know, there is only one option and that option is we don't know. If that doesn't work for you, pick a religion and you will have your answers (which it seems you have done).

So one more time, are we really to use holy books to inform us about the world we live in?