Vaccinations for traveling

Discuss physical fitness and healthy living / eating

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Vaccinations for traveling

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Those who like to explore the planet or those such as journalists who need to travel abroad to countries where malaria and other dangerous diseases are rife certainly face getting many vaccinations. I wonder how they cope with the side effects?
I have known people who I remember said they had painful arms, fever and discomfort. I have travelled in my youth and needed tetanus boosters which caused real soreness.

It might help put covid vaccination in perspective as we now face very likely annual jabs, with the often unpleasant side effects.

Is anyone here an adventurous traveller who can tell us what effect the various jabs have had on them?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Vaccinations for traveling

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:34 pmIs anyone here an adventurous traveller who can tell us what effect the various jabs have had on them?
Not anymore, but in my younger days I did a lot of business travel and had the vaccinations. Most just gave me a sore arm, but yellow fever is a live vaccine. I had a headache and mild fever for a couple of days and took some Tylenol, but didn't miss work. The flu and COVID vaccines are each more unpleasant than any of the extra ones for travel.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Vaccinations for traveling

Post #3

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Difflugia in post #2]
That is interesting. I assume that travellers often endure multiple jabs.
I think afresh now about children and babies who feel unwell after jabs and cannot even tell their mothers. Even our beloved pets must feel awful after annual injections, judging by my dogs that go very quiet for a day or two. Who knows how sore they must be. Yet overall, we are saved from life threateningly serious diseases.