Is Gay Marriage Considered a Sin?

Post #1

Post by POI »

For debate:

Is same sex marriage a sin?
If so, where does the Bible say this?
Further, why is it a sin?
In case anyone is wondering... The avatar quote states the following:

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

POI
Prodigy

Re: Is Gay Marriage Considered a Sin?

Post #21

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am In as much god doesn't say a thing about same-sex marriage---never mentions the concept---one can't realistically say he's against it. In fact, considering god is omniscient he would certainly be aware same-sex marriages would be taking place in the future, and as an astute homophobic ruler he would have made a law against them.
Noted.
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am However, he never made any such law. God remains mute, which means same-sex marriages simply aren't important enough to put on his "Sin List," or even disapprove of.
If God is omniscient, as you claim, God would certainly be aware that "gay marriage" would later become a thing. And it certainly has. And noted -- You are saying He did not place 'gay marriage' on the sin list, as long as there is no hanky panky.
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am So carry on same sex couples. Step up to the alter and commit to your vows. God obviously doesn't care. HOWEVER, this does not mean you're free to have sex with one another,---for some reason god really hates gay sex; lesbian sex not so much---because you can't without facing death at the hands of your fellow villagers. So just cool the sex and get on with whatever else married homosexuals do; watching football, washing dishes, paying bills, and whatever.
My hypothesis, is that the Bible writers, who wrote of the verses related to anything regarding homosexuality, are homophobic. Thus, this means it was either the ancient men who wrote these verses, or the God in charge of giving these folks direction. Why?

Many verses state it is an abomination, which also means disgusting. An agency, who is claimed to be all knowing, seems to have the feelings of an unenlightened human. (i.e.) "male on male sex is icky, therefore it is bad."

I raised this specific topic for a reason. I understand why the theist could argue any unmarried sex could be 'wrong'. But you openly admit that marriage between the same gender is okay, because He does not mention that it is not okay. Moving forward, aside from God thinking it is disgusting/icky, why can't a same sex married couple then 'practice'?

"I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness."

Miles
Savant

Post #22

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:09 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am In as much god doesn't say a thing about same-sex marriage---never mentions the concept---one can't realistically say he's against it. In fact, considering god is omniscient he would certainly be aware same-sex marriages would be taking place in the future, and as an astute homophobic ruler he would have made a law against them.
Noted.
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am However, he never made any such law. God remains mute, which means same-sex marriages simply aren't important enough to put on his "Sin List," or even disapprove of.
If God is omniscient, as you claim, God would certainly be aware that "gay marriage" would later become a thing. And it certainly has. Are you saying that because He did not place 'gay marriage' on the sin list, it's okay, as long as there is no hanky panky? I'm seeking clarity here.
That's how I see it all fitting together.

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 am So carry on same sex couples. Step up to the alter and commit to your vows. God obviously doesn't care. HOWEVER, this does not mean you're free to have sex with one another,---for some reason god really hates gay sex; lesbian sex not so much---because you can't without facing death at the hands of your fellow villagers. So just cool the sex and get on with whatever else married homosexuals do; watching football, washing dishes, paying bills, and whatever.
]My hypothesis, is that the Bible writers, who wrote of the verses related to anything regarding homosexuality, are homophobic. Thus, this means it was either the ancient men who wrote these verses, or the God in charge of giving these folks direction. Why?
I can't go along with the idea that the writers of the Bible were expressing their own thoughts and biases because Christians claim the Bible was "god-breathed," which I take to mean originated by god. It's scribes either writing down what god said word for word, or expressing god's intended message in their own words without error.

Many verses state it is an abomination, which also means disgusting. An agency, who is claimed to be all knowing, seems to have the feelings of an unenlightened human. (i.e.) "male on male sex is icky."
It certainly does.

I raised this specific topic for a reason. I understand why the theist could argue any unmarried sex could be 'wrong'. But you openly admit that marriage between the same gender is okay, because He does not mention that it is not okay.
As long as they don't have sex. That's still on the list of no-nos.

Moving forward, aside from God thinking it is disgusting/icky, why can't a same sex married couple then 'practice'?
Because, if they're a couple of guys they'll lose their heads. Not that I've heard of any modern Christian carrying out god's demand that "they shall surely be put to death," but that's the kind of exemption one can avail oneself of by cherry-picking the Bible. As for a couple of married babes, god doesn't seem to care all that much what they do. At most he calls female hanky panky "contrary to nature" and lets it go at that.

POI
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm I can't go along with the idea that the writers of the Bible were expressing their own thoughts and biases because Christians claim the Bible was "god-breathed," which I take to mean originated by god. It's scribes either writing down what god said word for word, or expressing god's intended message in their own words without error.
Well, either A) "God' is a homophobe or, B) the men who wrote these passages are.... Which one is it, A) or B)? I'm going with B), as you need a great many less assumptions to reach this conclusion; along with the fact that we know men have been known to write a great many things -- and pass them off as god pronouncements.
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm It certainly does.
Right. And just so we are crystal clear, having the following opinion -- "I think male on male sex is icky, therefore it's wrong" presents more so as a petty human emotion.
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm Because, if they're a couple of guys they'll lose their heads. Not that I've heard of any modern Christian carrying out god's demand that "they shall surely be put to death," but that's the kind of exemption one can avail oneself of by cherry-picking the Bible. As for a couple of married babes, god doesn't seem to care all that much what they do. At most he calls female hanky panky "contrary to nature" and lets it go at that.
So basically....

male + male sex = gross. Therefore, kill them
female + female sex = a-okay, kinda sorta

Hmm.... What's more likely, an ancient heterosexual guy orchestrated these laws, or god?

Miles
Savant

Post #24

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 am
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm I can't go along with the idea that the writers of the Bible were expressing their own thoughts and biases because Christians claim the Bible was "god-breathed," which I take to mean originated by god. It's scribes either writing down what god said word for word, or expressing god's intended message in their own words without error.
Well, either A) "God' is a homophobe or, B) the men who wrote these passages are.... Which one is it, A) or B)? I'm going with B), as you need a great many less assumptions to reach this conclusion; along with the fact that we know men have been known to write a great many things -- and pass them off as god pronouncements.
Right. And just so we are crystal clear, having the following opinion -- "I think male on male sex is icky, therefore it's wrong" presents more so as a petty human emotion.
Well "icky" is your description so I guess it would be a human emotion. One you ascribed to god in post 21.

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:18 pm Because, if they're a couple of guys they'll lose their heads. Not that I've heard of any modern Christian carrying out god's demand that "they shall surely be put to death," but that's the kind of exemption one can avail oneself of by cherry-picking the Bible. As for a couple of married babes, god doesn't seem to care all that much what they do. At most he calls female hanky panky "contrary to nature" and lets it go at that.
So basically....

Hmm.... What's more likely, an ancient heterosexual guy orchestrated these laws, or god?
As an atheist of course I don't think any god is actually involved; however, looking at the bible as "god-breathed" all the verses concerning god and same-sex sex read as god's decisions and doing. Man is never given any part to play in deciding how it goes. So . . .

In essence, god feels male + male sex is worthy of being put to death.
In essence, god feels female + female sex is worthy of condemning as "contrary to human nature."
In essence, god is moot on the issue of same-sex marriage, leaving one to conclude he doesn't feel it's important.
In essence, god orchestrated these laws, not man; the laws being "god-breathed" not "man-breathed."

POI
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by POI »

Miles wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:29 pm
Well "icky" is your description so I guess it would be a human emotion. One you ascribed to god in post 21.

So basically....

As an atheist of course I don't think any god is actually involved; however, looking at the bible as "god-breathed" all the verses concerning god and same-sex sex read as god's decisions and doing. Man is never given any part to play in deciding how it goes. So . . .

In essence, god feels female + female sex is worthy of condemning as "contrary to human nature."
In essence, god is moot on the issue of same-sex marriage, leaving one to conclude he doesn't feel it's important.
In essence, god orchestrated these laws, not man; the laws being "god-breathed" not "man-breathed."

I appreciate the response, but I might also add -- (from the assumption that this god likely does not even exist):

In essence, god feels male + male sex = "disgusting! Ew, gross! Kill them!" <- seems likely written by an ancient male-on-male homophobe...

In essence, god feels female + female sex = "who am I to stop it, wink wink" <- Seems likely written by an ancient heterosexual male.

In essence, god is moot on the issue of same-sex marriage <- it's implies that same sex marriage is a no-no, by the Bible writer, as many got married just so they can "legally" have sex. (i.e.) a man and a woman. It also implies that the writer never even thought about same sex marriage, as it was not a thing when writing 'laws'.

In essence, god orchestrated these laws, not man; the laws being "god-breathed" not "man-breathed." <- Yeah, but you and I both reckon many claim god gives them messages, all the time. But we also know there exists an infinitesimal number of god claims, all of which conflict with one another.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #26

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:56 am ... I would just say, same sex marriage is stupid, because there is no intelligent reason for that.
I would say it is a biblical oxymoron. The bible only approves of marriage between members of the opposite biological sex, so while a "marriages" between homosexuals might be legally recognised as such, for those that hold to bible standards they are not.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS

RELATED POSTS

Do Jehovahs Witnesse believe homosexual marriage is a basic HUMAN RIGHT?
viewtopic.php?p=1016295#p1016295
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

HOMOSEXUALITY, HOMOPHOBIA and ...BIBLICAL PROHIBITIONS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #27

Post by Miles »

POI wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:40 pm
Miles wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:29 pm

So basically....

I appreciate the response, but I might also add -- (from the assumption that this god likely does not even exist):

In essence, god feels male + male sex = "disgusting! Ew, gross! Kill them!" <- seems likely written by an ancient male-on-male homophobe...

In essence, god feels female + female sex = "who am I to stop it, wink wink" <- Seems likely written by an ancient heterosexual male.

In essence, god is moot on the issue of same-sex marriage <- it's implies that same sex marriage is a no-no, by the Bible writer, as many got married just so they can "legally" have sex. (i.e.) a man and a woman. It also implies that the writer never even thought about same sex marriage, as it was not a thing when writing 'laws'.

In essence, god orchestrated these laws, not man; the laws being "god-breathed" not "man-breathed." <- Yeah, but you and I both reckon many claim god gives them messages, all the time. But we also know there exists an infinitesimal number of god claims, all of which conflict with one another.
Yup. The sorry state of affairs that is religion. Ignorance, innocence, imagination, invention, fantasy, self deception, gullibility, need, naivete, with a dose of unsophistication.

POI
Prodigy

Post #28

Post by POI »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:49 pm I would say it is a biblical oxymoron. The bible only approves of marriage between members of the opposite biological sex, so while a "marriages" between homosexuals might be legally recognised as such, for those that hold to bible standards they are not.
Aside from God Himself deeming male-on-male action disgusting, why is it 'wrong'?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #29

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:49 pm ... so while a "marriages" between homosexuals might be legally recognised as such, for those that hold to bible standards they are not.
The problem comes when that Bible bunch wants to force their Bible standards on everybody else.

If God don't like it, I propose he quit peeking through the windows.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

DJT_47
Student

Post #30

Post by DJT_47 »

Homosexuality is an abomination in God's view according to the scriptures and "gay marriage" is an oxymoron; marriage is between a man and woman and occurrs upon having sexual intercourse, the scriptural joining together of the flesh. If you don't believe in the bible, this is all a moot point not worthy of further discussion.