Who is good?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Who is good?

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Reading Matthew chapter 19. Verse 16 - 30.

Do you think you are good? If so, in what way? I talk to many people who go around perfectly contented, just knowing that because they obey the law, never actually kill anyone nor steal nor do anything much to offend, it makes them like the
angels. Wrong! They ought to examine themselves closely. Not one of us can get through a day without sinning. Maybe not even a hour. I certainly can't.

Jesus here clearly states only God is good. There are lots of people who assume that they are good and therefore will automatically be welcomed into heaven. The only apparent qualification required is to die. They assume their deceased loved ones sprouted wings up there despite never giving God a passing thought.

In this reading Jesus clearly says in verse 26 that it is humanly impossible. Only through God is it made possible. Of course later we learn that Jesus is the only way.

Miles
Savant

Re: Who is good?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:30 am [Replying to Miles in post #8]

We have free will. We are therefore no doubt extremely disappointing at times. Yet he does love us. That is why he sent Jesus to die for us.
So if you truly believe god is omniscient he must know your every move and thought. Correct? And if he knows your every move and thought, how is it you could do any differently than what he has seen? As I see it, you couldn't. And if you can't do any differently and have to play out your life as god has seen, where does free will come into the picture?

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #12

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Miles in post #11]

We are not puppets or robots. We truly can do what we want. God is all-powerful and sees all. It is neither complicated nor simple.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am [Replying to Miles in post #11]

We are not puppets or robots. We truly can do what we want. God is all-powerful and sees all. It is neither complicated nor simple.
Can this god make a rock so heavy he can't skip it across a pond?

Can this god see the millions of hungry, abused, or neglected children on this planet?

Can this god get off his lazy fourth point of contact and help them young'ns?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

Rose2020 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:24 am [Replying to Miles in post #11]

We are not puppets or robots. We truly can do what we want. God is all-powerful and sees all.
Just what is it you disagree with here?

From post 8
"So if you truly believe god is omniscient he must know your every move and thought. Correct? And if he knows your every move and thought, how is it you could do any differently than what he has seen? As I see it, you couldn't. And if you can't do any differently and have to play out your life as god has seen, where does free will come into the picture?"

It is neither complicated nor simple.
Then what is it?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:09 pm Reading Matthew chapter 19. Verse 16 - 30.

Do you think you are good?
'Good' being a subjective notion, we can all find us a piece of it within ourselves somewhere.
If so, in what way?
I go outside and find me something to do when the pretty thing's cleaning the house, and she don't even have to tell me most the time.
I talk to many people who go around perfectly contented, just knowing that because they obey the law, never actually kill anyone nor steal nor do anything much to offend, it makes them like the angels.
Ever meet an angel, or do you get your data from the tales of others who claim to've did?
Wrong! They ought to examine themselves closely. Not one of us can get through a day without sinning. Maybe not even a hour. I certainly can't.
Even the pretty thing knows if she don't want me to do something, telling her sister to tell her friend to tell her mother to tell her baker to print a book to have Rose2020 to tell me not to do it ain't gonna work.
Jesus here clearly states only God is good.
Then quit picking on us bunch for not being it.
There are lots of people who assume that they are good and therefore will automatically be welcomed into heaven.
I have no interest hanging out in a sinless, funless Hell of Christian busy bodies.
The only apparent qualification required is to die. They assume their deceased loved ones sprouted wings up there despite never giving God a passing thought.
I assume my deceased loved ones are in the process of decay.
In this reading Jesus clearly says in verse 26 that it is humanly impossible. Only through God is it made possible. Of course later we learn that Jesus is the only way.
And now, as we pass the plate, y'all need to give until it hurts, cause I got my eyes on me a new jet.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by Difflugia »

Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:16 pm
Then what is it?
A mystery.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Miles
Savant

Post #17

Post by Miles »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:52 am
Miles wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:16 pm
Then what is it?
A mystery.
Then Rose2020 can't bring free will into the picture.