The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

Diogenes
Guru

The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #1

Post by Diogenes »

The proposition for debate is that when one takes the tales of Genesis literally, one becomes intellectually disabled, at least temporarily. Taking Genesis literally requires one to reject biology (which includes evolution) and other sciences in favor of 'magic.' Geology and radiometric dating have to be rejected since the Earth formed only about 6000 years ago, during the same week the Earth was made (in a single day).

Much of the debate in the topic of Science and Religion consists of theists who insist on a literal interpretation of Genesis rejecting basic science. Most of the resulting debates are not worth engaging in.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Post #151

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm Your abuse here is a real problem Jose, leave people alone, address their arguments not your demeaning interpretation of their personality.
LOL...abuse? Pointing out that you repeatedly ignore information people post to you is "abuse"?

That's hilarious. :lol:
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #152

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:01 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm Your abuse here is a real problem Jose, leave people alone, address their arguments not your demeaning interpretation of their personality.
LOL...abuse? Pointing out that you repeatedly ignore information people post to you is "abuse"?

You abuse the civility rules Jose.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #153

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:01 pm

You abuse the civility rules Jose.
How is it abusing the rules to simply note that you have repeatedly failed to reply to info that contradicts your claims, and that by the rules of debate you have therefore conceded the points?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

brunumb
Savant

Post #154

Post by brunumb »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:00 pm How do I know you have a reliable means of making such an assessment? why should I spend time showing you supporting evidence unless I know you can assess it reliably?
You might as well just run away in that case. Dodgeball may be more suited to your skill set than debating.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #155

Post by Diogenes »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:00 pm
brunumb wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:38 pm
Inquirer wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:44 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 pm
Inquirer wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:00 pm Christ revealed profound knowledge, knowledge undiscoverable through any other means. Of course you don't see that, you don't accept that and that's fine, each in his own time, but it is true.
Please support your claim by providing examples for us to scrutinise.
Why?
So we can assess if you are speaking the truth or simply making more unsupported claims.
[emphasis applied]
How do I know you have a reliable means of making such an assessment? why should I spend time showing you supporting evidence unless I know you can assess it reliably?
Because you made a claim. You claimed
Christ revealed profound knowledge, knowledge undiscoverable through any other means.

What knowledge? Please indicate what the 'knowledge' was and how it was "undiscoverable through any other means."
If you cannot support your claims, they are nullities, no more 'profound' or true than common rubbish.

— Confucius

otseng
Savant

Post #156

Post by otseng »

Moderator Intervention

If someone breaks a rule, please just report it and do not comment on it.

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

Diogenes
Guru

Post #157

Post by Diogenes »

dad1 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:33 pm The creation was 6000 and change actual years ago. The flood was probably something like 4500 actual years ago. arguments as if they either related to the issue or were science rather than belief based.
Do you have any reason to believe this is true, other than Genesis appears to you to say so? Do you have any reason to deny the judgment of many different scientific disciplines all agreeing on the age of the Earth is about 4.6 billion years*, other than what is written in Genesis? If the Bible claims the Earth (or 'creation') is '6000 years and change,' is there any scientific, or empirical evidence that would persuade you otherwise?

*"It is widely accepted by both geologists and astronomers that Earth is roughly 4.6 billion years old. This age has been obtained from the isotopic analysis of many meteorites as well as of soil and rock samples from the Moon by such dating methods as rubidium–strontium and uranium–lead. "
https://www.britannica.com/science/geol ... gic-period

— Confucius

dad1
Under Suspension

Post #158

Post by dad1 »

Diogenes wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:27 pm
Do you have any reason to believe this is true, other than Genesis appears to you to say so?

Whatever reasons we have to believe doesn't matter.

Do you have any reason to deny the judgment of many different scientific disciplines all agreeing on the age of the Earth is about 4.6 billion years*

Yes, they are all faith based and only fraudulently called science.
is there any scientific, or empirical evidence that would persuade you otherwise?
That is what you were asked for and failed to produce.

It is widely accepted by both geologists and astronomers that Earth is roughly 4.6 billion years old. This age has been obtained from the isotopic analysis of many meteorites as well as of soil and rock samples from the Moon by such dating methods as rubidium–strontium and uranium–lead. "
https://www.britannica.com/science/geol ... gic-period

Astronomers believe time is the same for no reason in the far universe and those who divine the rocks misread the ratios based on a belief in a same state past.

Bust Nak
Savant

Post #159

Post by Bust Nak »

dad1 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:13 pm Great. Thanlks for keeping up posted on all these tests you (think you) do.
You are welcome.
Once again, then, the evidence that the past was the same nature with the same forces and laws on earth? Specify how you (think you) tested that!
Easy enough. To borrow the format already presented here:
1) Ask a question: Are the laws of physics the same in the deep past as they are now?
2) Perform research: learn the laws of physics as we know them today.
3) Establish your hypothesis: If the laws are variable, then laws should change every now and then.
4) Test your hypothesis by conducting an experiment: if the laws change now, then maybe stuff would fly up instead of dropping down. Let go of various stuff in mid air and observe direction of travel.
5) Make an observation: stuff falls according to the current known laws of nature.
6) Analyze the results and draw a conclusion: the laws of nature has not changed.
7) Present the findings: post on forum.
Keep pretending you posted some or that you have some. This is fun.
No need for pretense, you can do this experiment at home and verify my results, that's the great thing about science.
I concur. You may claim origin models for the last minute all you like. Never do so using deep time though.
Advice noted and discarded.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #160

Post by Clownboat »

Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:44 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:28 pm
Inquirer wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:12 pm Stick to the thread subject please
The subject of the thread is about the effects of creationism (taking Genesis literally). Your consistent ignoring of data and info that contradicts your claims is a perfect example of the sorts of behaviors advocacy of creationism forces people to engage in.
I'm sure the moderators can do without your ongoing uncivil posts.
LOL...nothing I said is untrue. In a debate forum, you repeatedly ignore information that contradicts your arguments. I'm sure you don't like having that pointed out, but that just means your problem is with reality.

The fact remains, according to the rules of debate you have conceded that speciation is a repeatedly observed and documented fact, the fossil record contains examples of Darwinian gradualism, the fossil record contains preCambrian-Cambrian intermediates, and scientific testing shows that human/primate common ancestry is the vastly superior interpretation of the data over separate human origins.

Again, I'm sure you don't like any of that, but that's not my problem.
Your abuse here is a real problem Jose, leave people alone, address their arguments not your demeaning interpretation of their personality.
Will you not attempt to debate?
de·bil·i·tat·ing
adjective
tending to weaken something.

The OP: The Debilitating Effect of Taking Genesis Literally

Copy/paste: The fact remains, according to the rules of debate you have conceded that speciation is a repeatedly observed and documented fact, the fossil record contains examples of Darwinian gradualism, the fossil record contains preCambrian-Cambrian intermediates, and scientific testing shows that human/primate common ancestry is the vastly superior interpretation of the data over separate human origins.

Rather than address how this weakens/debilitates the Genesis creation story, you stick with playing the victim card. I wish you would type something worth debate, but you seems stuck on making posts be about you.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb