How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1

Post by otseng »

From the On the Bible being inerrant thread:
nobspeople wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:42 amHow can you trust something that's written about god that contradictory, contains errors and just plain wrong at times? Is there a logical way to do so, or do you just want it to be god's word so much that you overlook these things like happens so often through the history of christianity?
otseng wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:08 am The Bible can still be God's word, inspired, authoritative, and trustworthy without the need to believe in inerrancy.
For debate:
How can the Bible be considered authoritative and inspired without the need to believe in the doctrine of inerrancy?

While debating, do not simply state verses to say the Bible is inspired or trustworthy.

----------

Thread Milestones

otseng
Savant

Re: How can we trust the Bible if it's not inerrant?

Post #1421

Post by otseng »

[Replying to William in post #1422]

The most logical answer is no aliens exist, not that they are hiding from us.

William
Savant

Post #1422

Post by William »

otseng wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:15 am [Replying to William in post #1422]

Can you break that down for us?

brunumb
Savant

Post #1423

Post by brunumb »

otseng wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:13 am
brunumb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:02 am The difference is that we have an awful lot of hard evidence for stars, planets, what the universe is made from and how life functions. Not so much for any gods.
Just in the discussion on cosmology alone, the evidence to me is overwhelming for the existence of a creator/designer. And as we learn more about physics and biology, we find the conditions for life is quite rare and special. To the point now that as we've seen even scientists have to resort to extranatural explanations.
I am pretty confident that there are forms of life elsewhere in the universe.
Of course my next question is what evidence do you have to support that life exists elsewhere?
I see no evidence for the existence of a creator/designer. Life on Earth exists in a wide range of conditions even if a lot of them are not conducive to humans. As far as I know, there is no evidence for the existence of life elsewhere in the universe so I do not claim that it is actually there. From what we know about the structure of the universe and the existence of life here on Earth, I am confident that it does exist elsewhere. That does not mean that it has to be anything more than simple forms like those that dominate our own planet.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

otseng
Savant

Post #1424

Post by otseng »

brunumb wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:24 pm
Of course my next question is what evidence do you have to support that life exists elsewhere?
I see no evidence for the existence of a creator/designer.
Even if there is no evidence for a creator/designer, one can still confidently believe God exists. Just like what you've said that no evidence exists for alien life, yet you confidently believe life exists elsewhere.

But, as for no evidence for God, that is not true. You might not accept them, but there are plenty of indirect evidence. Further, it is also the most plausible explanation for a wide-ranging host of issues, issues in cosmology being one of the areas.
Life on Earth exists in a wide range of conditions even if a lot of them are not conducive to humans.
We're not talking about life on earth, but on other planets. There are so many necessary requirements for any life to exist on a planet that to have all of them on a single planet among all the planets in the universe would be very rare. Some of these are covered in the Rare Earth book.
As far as I know, there is no evidence for the existence of life elsewhere in the universe so I do not claim that it is actually there. From what we know about the structure of the universe and the existence of life here on Earth, I am confident that it does exist elsewhere. That does not mean that it has to be anything more than simple forms like those that dominate our own planet.
How can you be confident if there's no evidence for it?

But, you are not alone in this belief. We can add this as another belief in cosmology that has no empirical support for.

otseng
Savant

Post #1425

Post by otseng »

William wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:47 pm
otseng wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:15 am [Replying to William in post #1422]

Can you break that down for us?
Let's start with what is the Fermi paradox.
The Fermi paradox is the conflict between the lack of clear, obvious evidence for extraterrestrial life and various high estimates for their existence. As a 2015 article put it, "If life is so easy, someone from somewhere must have come calling by now."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermi_paradox
The Fermi Paradox refers to the dichotomy between the high probability that extraterrestrial intelligence exists and the fact that we have no evidence for such aliens.
https://www.livescience.com/fermi-paradox
This prompted Fermi to ask what was (to him) an obvious question: “where is everybody?” In a galaxy assumed to be filled with clever beings, why don’t we see any? This dissonance is known as the Fermi Paradox.
https://www.seti.org/fermi-paradox-0

There's obviously only two possible scenarios. Either aliens do not exist or aliens exist.
This paradox was described by the late British science-fiction author, Sir Arthur C. Clarke, who said: "Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
https://www.livescience.com/fermi-paradox

And it's obvious we do not have any evidence aliens exist. That's the whole point of the Fermi paradox.

So, if aliens do not exist and there's no evidence for them, this would simply affirm each other.

If aliens do exist and there's no evidence for them, then you have to provide reasons for why no evidence exists. These explanations would all be speculative and there would be no evidence to support these explanations.

So, the most logical answer is no aliens exist.

Let me give an illustration. Suppose I believe a person named Jessica Galba exists. She is rich and beautiful and a godly Christian. She lives in Paris. But, she is not in the Paris phone book. She cannot be found in any government records. She has no birth certificate. She does not show up in any Google search. Further, I believe she is secretly in love with me. However, she has not communicated with me in any form (telephone, email, post card, text, etc). Which is a more logical position to hold? 1) I confidently believe Jessica Galba exists or 2) Jessica Galba does not exist.

William
Savant

Post #1426

Post by William »

[Replying to otseng in post #1425]

Using the same logic and reasoning...

What is the difference between aliens not existing and YHVH not existing?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1427

Post by JoeyKnothead »

otseng wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:47 am ...
Let me give an illustration. Suppose I believe a person named Jessica Galba exists. She is rich and beautiful and a godly Christian. She lives in Paris. But, she is not in the Paris phone book. She cannot be found in any government records. She has no birth certificate. She does not show up in any Google search. Further, I believe she is secretly in love with me. However, she has not communicated with me in any form (telephone, email, post card, text, etc). Which is a more logical position to hold? 1) I confidently believe Jessica Galba exists or 2) Jessica Galba does not exist.
Is God In the phone book? Is God listed in any government records beyond his acolytes putting him there? Does God have a birth certificate?

Jessica Galba, googled.

We're told by others, but not God, that he's in love with us.

Which is the more logical position to hold ?

1) You confidently believe God exists, or

2) God does not exist
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #1428

Post by William »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1427]

2) God does not exist
All things being equal, why is 2) worded differently from 1)?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #1429

Post by JoeyKnothead »

William wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:27 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1427]

2) God does not exist
I tried to stick to the original wording and intent best I could.

Did I goof something up?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Post #1430

Post by William »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:32 am
William wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:27 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1427]

2) God does not exist
I tried to stick to the original wording and intent best I could.

Did I goof something up?

2) You confidently believe God does not exist