Events being cancelled

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Events being cancelled

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

What is the actual protocol and rules after a monarch passes away?

The cancellations of major events, TV Shows, stores like Selfridges etc seems so random, on different days. Does it not mean those who don't close or cancel are made to feel bad? It must be hard for businesses to know what is expected. Certainly the disruption to people and businesses is huge. Do struggling businesses have to suffer even more? Must they pay staff even if closed? Then there are all the tickets to sports events to be reimbursed or postponed - creating huge admin headaches.

I just wonder if such chaos is necessary. It is of course right to close everything on the funeral day. It would have been easier if a clear public period of mourning was announced. Leaving it to each business means confusion.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Events being cancelled

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:47 pm
Difflugia wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:57 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:35 pmIts like birthday celebrations. Who deserves the celebration? The created or creator?
In modern birthday celebrations, nobody unironically celebrates a stork. I'm pretty sure there's an apt analogy in there for celebrating gods.

God is responsible for all life that comes into existence - He deserves the celebration.
Satan is responsible for all life that comes into existence - He deserves the celebration.

Debate sure is easy when ya never bother to show ya speak truth.

The liar lies and the preacher preaches.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #12

Post by kjw47 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:41 am
kjw47 wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:35 pmIts like birthday celebrations. Who deserves the celebration? The created or creator?
In modern birthday celebrations, nobody unironically celebrates a stork. I'm pretty sure there's an apt analogy in there for celebrating gods.

God is responsible for all life that comes into existence - He deserves the celebration.
Satan is responsible for all life that comes into existence - He deserves the celebration.

Not a wise place to be standing sir.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #13

Post by JoeyKnothead »

kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:47 pm

Ooh, scary man says scary things cause he thinks everyone shares his ludicrous, unevidenced fears.

Halloween must be a trauma for folks so scared of empty biblical threats and delusions.

Watch out, there's a shadow following you!
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:15 pm
kjw47 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:47 pm

Ooh, scary man says scary things cause he thinks everyone shares his ludicrous, unevidenced fears.

Halloween must be a trauma for folks so scared of empty biblical threats and delusions.

Watch out, there's a shadow following you!
Yep, it's always amusing when folks use empty scare tactics in place of reasoned debate.

"My hamburger will eat your hotdog if you don't worship my frankfurter."

'Okay then. I'll order out for pizza.'

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom