Suggestions?
jd
Author of Salt & Light; The Complete Jesus www.saltandlight.ca

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: How to reach out to non-believers?

Post #2

Post by TRANSPONDER »

jd01 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:42 amSuggestions?

Depends what you want to do; come to some understanding, accommodation and even mutual respect with them, or to convert them? One thing not to do, is Bible bash at them, tell them they are wicked, evil, sinful. ignorant people in darkness who just want to lead sinful lives and are miserable and suicidal...etc. Because they will simply realise that the Theist has no idea what they are talking about. They will not appreciate being told that science is nonsense, deluded, the mere opinion of being with flawed perception, and never mind it being a cabal of atheists plotting to cover up the Truth.

It does not help to adopt the 'Well, I still have Faith' line, because we goddless know that. We don't expect the Faithful to be convinced by mere evidence. That is not going to gain an understanding with the unbelievers, never mind convince us. The old apologetics won't answer anymore, not first cause, appeal to morality or ID arguments. We do not respond well to Hellthreat, nor to Pascal's wager. We do not like attempts to brainwash, love - bomb or badger us people into praying to Jesus. We need reasons to do any of that stuff, not being asked to do it in the absence of any good reasons.

It would probably help to accept that atheists have very sound reasons to be atheists even if not all non -believers know them or know them well. It might surprise many sortagod -theists and even Christians or Bible - believers how much religious or theist stuff we goddless may be willing to concede as possible (a historical Jesus; deistgod), and a way forward to finding a place in secularist society might be most productive.

But there is no way around this one; the idea of religious (that is Christian) domination of society is not going to be accepted; a place in a humanist, secular society for the faithful, yes, but religious control of that society, no. That has to be accepted or there can be no peace beyond the Lie.

Of course :D the Believers well may recoil with "Well dammit that's hostile enough, there is no way we can deal with people who want to exterminate Christianity and sell civilisation to the Devil!" In which case those types cannot be capable of reaching out to non -believers, only battle them (and they lack ammunition, modern tanks or any decent leaders) or try to fool the unprepared; and we goddless believe that people do not like to be fooled, bamboozled or lied to.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #3

Post by JehovahsWitness »

As one of Jehovahs Witnesses I simply look for opportunities to say something that draws attention to the kingdom good news. When you are alert and engage people in conversation, its surprising how often people will say something that opens the door to a spiritual conversation.

Tips
  • Say a prayer
  • Dont be pushy
  • stay politically neutral
  • Have a contact card or some literature at hand

Jehovah's Witnesses also engage in formal house to house and public outreach work but studies show that a large proportion of those that join us have their initial contact through someone speaking "informally" to them.

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE GREAT COMMISSION , PUBLIC PREACHING and ... JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:05 pm We do not respond well to Hellthreat, nor to Pascal's wager. We do not like attempts to brainwash, love - bomb or badger us people into praying to Jesus. We need reasons to do any of that stuff, not being asked to do it in the absence of any good reasons.
That doesn't leave them much. :)
Better to just leave us alone.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

ManicSprite

Post #5

Post by ManicSprite »

Honestly, if more christians would just act as good examples, people would probably come to them. I don't see that believing makes bad people any better, it just makes the good people more annoying.

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

ManicSprite wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:39 pm
Honestly, if more christians would just act as good examples, people would probably come to them. I don't see that believing makes bad people any better, it just makes the good people more annoying.
Good people and good examples are great for encouraging reciprocation and friendship, but they do nothing to validate Christianity as a religious belief.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #7

Post by TRANSPONDER »

[Replying to JehovahsWitness in post #3]

:) You probably won't like this, but since in my previous job, a JW was told to stop bothering his workmates with religious pestering or he'd be out, I'd like to see companies, workplaces and organisations make religious pestiferation against workplace policy. Three strikes and you'd be looking for another job.
ManicSprite wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:39 pm
Good example without being pushy or preachy would indeed encourage tolerance if not interest. A workplace pal of mine and his family were good people and I and the (Buddhist) Missis even went along to church occasions with them. Not that they ever came our Buddhist events. Even though the occasional efforts to sell us Christianity never got anywhere. But we godless and the religious can co -exist IF they don't try to take the place over.

Miles
Savant

Post #8

Post by Miles »

Christians reaching out to non-believers is no different than telephone solicitors bothering you at home during dinner. They're an annoyance that irritates more than doing any good. My impression is that for every one person who may be interested in what you have to say, you alienate perhaps another 200-300 who you have just given reason to detest you and despise your religion. Any rudeness you may encounter is well earned. You probably think that one potential member is worth aggravating the two to three hundred, and so be it, but most religions don't try to alienate those within their community, but welcome each other as fellow contributors. With rare exception NO religious door knocker is ever regarded as such.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:52 pm ..for every one person who may be interested in what you have to say, you alienate perhaps another 200-300 who you have just given reason to detest you and despise your religion. .
In my experience, people that feel that strongly do not hesitate to tell you to your face; they generally don't hold back out of politeness, social convention or a desire not to hurt your feelings. Given the above, I can say that your numbers are almost certainly vastly exaggerated.

Most people I speak to, at least in our public house to house ministry go from overwhelmingly indifferent (but respectful of their consistution that guarantees freedom of expression) to mildly annoyed. The vast MAJORITY, even if uninterested appreciate the effort involved and wish us well as long as we stop talking and leave when asked.
In informal conversation, with colleagues, aquaintences, friends, neighbours or family, I have yet to meet anyone that seemed pushed to {quote} "detest [me] and despise [my] religion" {end quote} merely because I bought up the topic of my beliefs.
Just this week I got talking to a surveyor that came to my house (new windows) and we got to chatting. He shared with me his girlfirend had just been diagnoses with terminal cancer. I told him how sorry I was and that I had lost a close family member just last year myself. When he finished his work I gave him a leaflet with a card and my number. I said the message had bought me comfort in my loss. He said he wished he had faith, it must help at times like this. He told me he isn't a believer but he'd read it the message ... having nothing to lose. His thanks seemed sincere.

Now it is of course, it is possible that in their hearts they all thought ".. because you just said you believe in God and a better world to come, I now hate and depise you and everything you stand for ". But I like to think that people have an inner life that has more love than hate in it. In any case, most of my exchanges are like the surveyor, perfectly amiable.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #10

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:25 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 2:52 pm ..for every one person who may be interested in what you have to say, you alienate perhaps another 200-300 who you have just given reason to detest you and despise your religion. .
In my experience, people that feel that strongly do not hesitate to tell you to your face; they generally don't hold back out of politeness, social convention or a desire not to hurt your feelings. Given the above, I can say that your numbers are almost certainly vastly exaggerated.
Perhaps. Perhaps not. All I said was "My impression is that for every one person who may be interested in what you have to say, you alienate perhaps another 200-300 who you have just given reason to detest you and despise your religion."

In informal conversation, with colleagues, aquaintences, friends, neighbours or family, I have yet to meet anyone that seemed pushed to {quote} "detest [me] and despise [my] religion" {end quote} merely because I bought up the topic of my beliefs.
Of course not. Where colleagues, acquaintances, friends, neighbors and family are concerned, civility and politeness almost always prevails among civilized people rather than an unmannerly response.

Now it is of course, it is possible that in their hearts they all thought ".. because you just said you believe in God and a better world to come, I now hate and depise you and everything you stand for ". But I like to think that people have an inner life that has more love than hate in it. In any case, most of my exchanges are like the surveyor, perfectly amiable.
Err, you have me confused with someone else. O:)