What is the current theistic explanation for archaic human fossils?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

DeMotts
Scholar

What is the current theistic explanation for archaic human fossils?

Post #1

Post by DeMotts »

There's quite a body of fossils that exist that illustrate a variety of archaic humans, from australopithecines to Homo rhodesiensis, Homo heidelbergensis, Homo naledi, Homo ergaster, Homo antecessor, and Homo habilis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... on_fossils

For the theistic anti-evolutionists on the board: how do you explain such a variety of human fossils? What are australopithecines? How do they fit in with the creation story of the bible? Do you believe these fossils are legitimate or forgeries?

Jose Fly
Guru

Re: What is the current theistic explanation for archaic human fossils?

Post #221

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:48 pm I always speak for myself, I stand by what I said, it all depends. That's why Churchill bombed the French fleet, that's why the US used a nuclear weapon - twice, that's why we turned Dresden into a furnace and burned people alive in their homes, it depends, you have no idea what "good" is, you just make up your own definition so long as that definition never limits your freedoms.
What is your definition of "good"?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #222

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:50 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:48 pm I always speak for myself, I stand by what I said, it all depends. That's why Churchill bombed the French fleet, that's why the US used a nuclear weapon - twice, that's why we turned Dresden into a furnace and burned people alive in their homes, it depends, you have no idea what "good" is, you just make up your own definition so long as that definition never limits your freedoms.
The very same (unanswered) question I asked you days ago, if you don't know, then you cannot judge another, not me, not anyone.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #223

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:57 pm
The very same (unanswered) question I asked you days ago, if you don't know, then you cannot judge another, not me, not anyone.
Then the same applies to you, i.e., you can't criticize others about their criteria for "good" or not having any, since you are in the same boat.

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #224

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:00 pm
Then the same applies to you, i.e., you can't criticize others about their criteria for "good" or not having any, since you are in the same boat.
Except I never judged you as good or bad, only wrong, occasionally right, but mostly wrong. You fight with yourself when you attack me Jose, one day you'll understand.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #225

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:02 pm
Except I never judged you as good or bad, only wrong, occasionally right, but mostly wrong. You fight with yourself when you attack me Jose, one day you'll understand.
Well this didn't take long before it got really stupid.

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Post #226

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to EarthScienceguy in post #214]
People in the eugenics movement know how evolution works and they use that knowledge to murder and sterilize other people.
I thought you did not believe that evolution "works" at all! If it isn't real how can the eugenics movement use it for anything? I think this movement you refer to must be incredibly small and quiet as they don't seem to have made any progress in their goals as you never hear of them in the news or otherwise. Where are these people?
And you are correct in saying that Evolution has no moral component therefore death and murder is a viable option and is in fact the mechanism of evolution.
Death and murder are the mechanisms of evolution? That's news ... I thought it involved mutations, genetic drift, copying errors, changes in genetic makeup each generational cycle, and all of that, influenced by natural selection. You need to start a push to update all the evolutionary biologists on your finding since I expect none of them are aware of it.
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #227

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:07 pm
Inquirer wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:02 pm
Well this didn't take long before it got really stupid.
Another masterly example of logic and rational reasoning! your technique is well exemplified by this:

If you really want to do well at debating you need to move on from name calling and blanket dismissals.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #228

Post by Jose Fly »

Since EarthScienceguy insists on continuing with the "evolution = eugenics/Nazism" argument, I have a few questions...

Do you agree with the Nazis that Jews and the other groups they killed were "less fit" and should therefore be removed from the population?

Do you agree with the eugenicists that the groups of people they sterilized were "less fit"?

If Hitler allegedly being motivated by evolution reflects on evolution, by the same token do the antisemitic writings from the founder of Protestantism, Martin Luther (e.g., "On The Jews and Their Lies") reflect on Christianity?

Inquirer
Banned
Banned

Post #229

Post by Inquirer »

Jose Fly wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:30 pm Since EarthScienceguy insists on continuing with the "evolution = eugenics/Nazism" argument, I have a few questions...

Do you agree with the Nazis that Jews and the other groups they killed were "less fit" and should therefore be removed from the population?

Do you agree with the eugenicists that the groups of people they sterilized were "less fit"?

If Hitler allegedly being motivated by evolution reflects on evolution, by the same token do the antisemitic writings from the founder of Protestantism, Martin Luther (e.g., "On The Jews and Their Lies") reflect on Christianity?
One thing we can confidently say, is that the prominent eugenicists were influential and card carrying members of the AAAS and NAS:
Indeed, Science played a shameful and notable role in the scientific acceptance of eugenics in the United States and the world. The opening keynote for the 1921 conference was given by Henry Osborn, whose address was published in Science a week later. His call to bar the “unfit” from sharing in American democracy because of a “handicap of heredity” was clearly discriminatory. This piece was followed by a similarly toned treatise on the goals of eugenical societies by Leonard Darwin, Charles Darwin’s son and the organizer of the First International Eugenics Congress in 1912 (also heralded and promoted by Science). Three weeks after publishing Osborn’s piece, Science gave front-page treatment to Charles Davenport’s “Research in Eugenics,” in which he assured that eugenics was backed by “rigid proof” and should therefore “not arouse contrary opinion.”

Davenport and Osborn were widely recognized as members of the highest echelons of scientific society. Both were fellows of the US National Academy of Sciences and AAAS. Osborn was president of the board of trustees of the American Museum of Natural History from 1908 to 1933. Davenport founded the lab that would become Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory and spurred the creation of the Eugenics Record Office. Additionally, both were members of the AAAS committee on evolution that helped Clarence Darrow defend John Scopes in 1925, and Osborn was elected AAAS president in 1928.
See: Eugenics and the history of Science and AAAS

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #230

Post by Jose Fly »

Inquirer wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:42 pm One thing we can confidently say, is that the prominent eugenicists were influential and card carrying members of the AAAS and NAS:
And so were many prominent Christians. What's your point?