Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

Rose2020
Scholar

Quakers

Post #1

Post by Rose2020 »

Have we any Quakers here?

I would love to know more about this way of life and worship. I was listening to a programme about the work of Elizabeth Fry in prison reform. What a lady!

I have always been very impressed about the way Quakers have done so much good for society through running highly successful businesses. It seems a great expression of Christianity, to actually live it.

Yet I would like to know about their beliefs on the Bible. Is the theology sound?

Rose2020
Scholar

Re: Quakers

Post #11

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #10]

I agree. No reasonable person could disagree.
Good works have been done by atheists and Christians. A good person is a good person, someone who makes and leaves the world a better place. I have atheist friends who are incredible in how selfless they are.

Yet, as a Christian I must take it a step further. I understand that good works alone do not earn a place in heaven. That only acceptance of Jesus as Saviour and Messiah is the key. Jesus was crystal clear on this. He left no doubt.

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:17 am [Replying to Tcg in post #10]

I agree. No reasonable person could disagree.
Good works have been done by atheists and Christians. A good person is a good person, someone who makes and leaves the world a better place. I have atheist friends who are incredible in how selfless they are.

Yet, as a Christian I must take it a step further. I understand that good works alone do not earn a place in heaven. That only acceptance of Jesus as Saviour and Messiah is the key. Jesus was crystal clear on this. He left no doubt.
Again, no. Jesus, or at least the words reportedly from him do not make that clear. Maybe if one reads only the gospel John, they may have that impression. Read the synoptics and one will find many opinions on what the "key" is.

Besides this, good works should be performed because they are good. Not because of some supposed reward for doing them.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #13

Post by Rose2020 »

Quakers hold that though Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist, He himself never baptised anyone.
The Apostle Paul only baptised two people.
If this is true, it is interesting.
So Quakers are not baptised, though they follow Christ.

Tcg
Savant

Post #14

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:53 am Quakers hold that though Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist, He himself never baptised anyone.
The Apostle Paul only baptised two people.
If this is true, it is interesting.
So Quakers are not baptised, though they follow Christ.
Have you ever met a Quaker?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #15

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #14]

Yes. I have a friend who is a Quaker.

I am also reading Letters on England by Voltaire, where it begins with an interesting chat with a Quaker.

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:42 am [Replying to Tcg in post #14]

Yes. I have a friend who is a Quaker.
Well, you should be aware that not all Quakers follow Jesus. In fact, Quakerism is based on the idea of following the inner-light. Some, but not all think that this is related to God. Even fewer think it has anything to do with Jesus.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #17

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #16]

Yes I am aware. It is fascinating talking to them. People usually love talking about their own opinions.

Tcg
Savant

Post #18

Post by Tcg »

Rose2020 wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:37 am [Replying to Tcg in post #16]

Yes I am aware. It is fascinating talking to them. People usually love talking about their own opinions.
This statement from you -> "Quakers hold that though Jesus was baptised by John the Baptist..." seems to reveal that you aren't aware of it.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Rose2020
Scholar

Post #19

Post by Rose2020 »

[Replying to Tcg in post #18]

Correct. I was not aware. I do not know the Quaker beliefs in any detail but I do believe it is useful to try to understand. I had not realised Jesus himself never baptised anyone and I do wonder why?