Weird and confusing things non-theists claim about atheism

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Weird and confusing things non-theists claim about atheism

Post #1

Post by William »

One of the first lessons that recruits into the Atheist Infiltration Squad go through in their combat training is to overcome Fear of Woo.

"Everything is made of Nothing! Indeterminacy means that nothing is sure! Beware the Holographic universe."..... "Get up and stop whimpering...I want your DOE." .... "Remember, you maggotts...whatever is happening at Quantum level, the world of Physics still works as reliably as it did for Newton. Now get to the mess room, it's chow time!"~ TRANSPONDER {SOURCE}
I wasn't aware that atheism was so organized as to have a creed in which atheist's can follow. :)

William
Savant

Re: Weird and confusing things non-theists claim about atheism

Post #21

Post by William »

William wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:48 pm
There is no position as not a theist and also not an atheist. One may be confused or uncertain of the position they take, but if they aren't convinced that god/gods exist, they are an atheist. If they are they are a theist. It's binary, one or the other.
viewtopic.php?p=1088950#p1088950
I made up a word for this type of claim-like statement.

Alludeism - an unsupported and often sweeping statement presented in a factual manner...

8-)

William
Savant

Hoo Boy... :roll:

Post #22

Post by William »

You do not get to force your definition of atheism on atheism. Atheism (logical belief -position) is non belief in one claim - the god -claim. You do not get to force on us an untenable claim of gnostic - type denial of a god. Especially as the only point I can see in doing that is to logically wrongfoot atheism. Atheists (myself included) may be very much convinced that none of the personal gods exist, and I also think the logic and evidence is against any sorta god. But I know I can't be sure.Non -belief has to be based on non -knowledge.

It is also a ploy that I'd propose rejecting (1) to point to this atheist or that and argue as though that individual was a spokesbod for all atheists. Your plonking assertion that the 'non -belief' position that is correct for atheism makes theists of us all is far wrong and damn near impudent in trying to frogmarch atheists into an untenable extreme claim. Hoo Boy. I will have a look at the Stanford article,but last time I read Stanford on atheism it was a disgrace and written by someone who did not understand atheism and didn't want to.I trust he's been sacked by now.

(I had a look and it's still a disgrace.It perhaps can be justified as cataloguing the misunderstandings of old philosophers and the misrepresentations of religion, but if that was the case,it should say so. I still think the writer should be sacked.)

(1)perhaps you'd explain how non belief in a god claim makes us 'maybe' theists. If you can't do it, I think atheism deserves an apology. (p.s -I guess you misinterpret 'agnosticism'as a 'half -belief that God is real'. .No,that is Deism/irreligious Theism, not agnosticism).
viewtopic.php?p=1089337#p1089337

William
Savant

Post #23

Post by William »

At least in the Atheist Afterlife, we all get the same,. whatever it is.
viewtopic.php?p=1089691#p1089691

William
Savant

Post #24

Post by William »

We don't refer to evolution as "atheistic" even tho' it does not reference, or need to account for a god.
viewtopic.php?p=1089891#p1089891

William
Savant

Post #25

Post by William »

There is no such thing as "atheistic thinking." There is only the atheistic lack of belief in god(s).
viewtopic.php?p=1089717#p1089717

William
Savant

Post #26

Post by William »

If science ever finds actual evidence of a god, it will ironically be scientists, not apologists, who lead us to knowledge about this god.
viewtopic.php?p=1096721#p1096721