A suggestion for rule number 5

Feedback and site usage questions

Moderator: Moderators

Swami
Sage

A suggestion for rule number 5

Post #1

Post by Swami »

5. Support your assertions/arguments with evidence. Do not persist in making a claim without supporting it. All unsupported claims can be challenged for supporting evidence. Opinions require no support, but they should not be considered as valid to any argument, nor will they be considered as legitimate support for any claim.

It is my understanding that insight does not need to be supported. A conflict is caused when skeptics expect members to support their insight. This is why I suggest that it rule 5 be amended. Instead of saying "all unsupported claims", simply say that all "arguments" must be supported.

I have started several discussions and many times it is taken over by skeptics. My very first discussion in the science section has over 20,000 views. Only a handful of skeptics posted there but yet there were thousands more who were reading my views. Had these skeptics not taken over the discussion then many would be willing to contribute to the discussion.

Thank you for your consideration. :thanks:

otseng
Savant

Re: A suggestion for rule number 5

Post #11

Post by otseng »

Swami wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 pm What I consider bullying is the swarm of skeptics and their constant questioning and how that limits discussion.
That is not bullying. I mean, even I ask a lot of questions, many of which skeptics can't even answer (example here).
Instead of questioning, I feel this forum needs more intuition, more creativity, more deep insight.
Sure, you can post those, but those do not really belong in the debating subforums, but rather the discussion subforums.
The skeptics may pride themselves on constant questioning, but I find it counterproductive when members can not get their point across, even if it is a point involving insight rather than an argument.
It's a give and take in debating with both answering questions and asking questions. If the only thing someone does is ask questions, then it's not really a debate in my book. It's easy to ask questions. The hard part is making claims and backing up the claims with evidence.
Besides that otseng, I enjoy your site, the topics, and the civility. :thanks:
O:)

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

otseng wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:30 amAlso, I'm not going to tell any skeptics to take it easy for two reasons:
1. I'd rather debate skeptics than believers.
2. Constant challenging is a good test for validating the truthfulness of claims.
If not take it easy, I hope we can at least be decent.

Sometimes I have to call people on nonsense, especially if there's a blatant contradiction or I can easily show why, or someone is trying to shoehorn something into something opposite. Honestly though, 99% of everything posted here falls outside the realm of nonsense and has at least a little truth to it. Finding and acknowledging that I think qualifies as being decent.

This forum absolutely does suffer from an overpopulation of skeptics and an underpopulation of believers. It affects debate. It's for that reason that I try extra hard to defend the believer, if I can possibly find something to defend, I do. Sometimes I can't but usually I can.

In fact on the old version of the site there used to be a title you could give yourself that would show under your avatar: Not a Bully, and it meant you wouldn't jump in a debate to defend the side that was already overpopulated if there was only one person defending the underpopulated side. If I remember right. (Which I usually do.) I did not claim that title because I absolutely will say so if something is utter nonsense, especially if someone is trying to have it all ideologically. But I will try to defend the believers if they have something, anything, and they're being dogpiled.

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

Swami wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 7:07 pm
Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:53 am Your feelings are irrelevant.
This is not the way to treat a victim.
You aren't a victim. Your feelings, my feelings, everyone's feelings are irrelevant in debate. It is only verifiable facts that matter. Oddly, very few are presented. Strange, isn't it?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Swami
Sage

Post #14

Post by Swami »

May you reach your timeless, pure, and infinite self. :thanks:

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to Swami in post #14]

What does this platitude have to do with rule #5 or debate in general? Is it simply your admission that you have no intention of addressing either?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Swami
Sage

Post #16

Post by Swami »

[Replying to Tcg in post #15]
I already made my concerns known about rule #5. My last posting was to provide positive energy to this discussion. It is a video clip for guided meditation.

I encourage you to take some time out of your day and meditate. Stop acting and reacting to your mind and body. Be still and silent.

Then come back and post. :thanks: