Top 10 Design Flaws in the Human Body

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Compassionist
Guru

Top 10 Design Flaws in the Human Body

Post #1

Post by Compassionist »

These design flaws prove that we were not intelligently designed by an all-knowing and all-powerful God. They prove that we evolved. Please see: https://nautil.us/top-10-design-flaws-i ... dy-235403/

Diogenes
Guru

Re: Top 10 Design Flaws in the Human Body

Post #21

Post by Diogenes »

wannabe wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:05 am If the bodies [sic] flawed design is a result of evolution, then what is its destiny?
What drives evolution?
Does evolution just stop its course of progression?
So what has evolution done to resolve or progress towards a resolve, (regarding the spine). [sic]
These questions reveal a stupendous, tho' not surprising, ignorance of evolution.

Evolution is a natural process that takes place without design or intent. It has no destiny or purpose. It is not a conscious entity. Nothing 'drives' it. Evolution simply describes what happens when changes in the genetics of an organism are passed on to its progeny. My aching back is the result of what would be a design flaw IF the spine had been designed by some conscious entity. It was not.

The human spine's defects do not prevent reproduction in the organism homo sapiens, thus the problem of an aging spine does not die out. The silliness of these questions is revealed by reading a basic text like https://evolution-outreach.biomedcentra ... 009-0128-1 or by recalling what most of us were exposed to in a high school biology class.

Before You Embark On A Journey Of Revenge, Dig Two Graves

— Confucius

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #22

Post by AquinasForGod »

[Replying to Compassionist in post #1]

I disagree. You assume that God created human bodies from the top down rather than from the ground up. Only God could design a world in such a way that it could start from non-life, from simple principles, rules, and simple fields and evolve into a system with planets, suns, etc all that give rise to the right amount of heat/cold, food sources, etc for the production of life and the survival of species.

And doing all this for a theological end, which is maximal goodness.

Even Richard Dawkins said there is a design here, but it is a bottom up design. Thanks, Dawkins. That is the very design God used.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #23

Post by Clownboat »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:45 am You assume that God created human bodies from the top down rather than from the ground up.
False, the OP mentiones design flaws and does not assume a god.
Only God could design a world in such a way that it could start from non-life, from simple principles, rules, and simple fields and evolve into a system with planets, suns, etc all that give rise to the right amount of heat/cold, food sources, etc for the production of life and the survival of species.
Please show that these things could not happen naturally. I believe that you assume too much.
Even Richard Dawkins said there is a design here, but it is a bottom up design. Thanks, Dawkins. That is the very design God used.
Why did you insert a god concept here? One doesn't seem needed from where I'm sitting (not that there couldn't be millions of gods for all we know).
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #24

Post by AquinasForGod »

Clownboat wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:37 am
AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:45 am You assume that God created human bodies from the top down rather than from the ground up.
False, the OP mentiones design flaws and does not assume a god.
Only God could design a world in such a way that it could start from non-life, from simple principles, rules, and simple fields and evolve into a system with planets, suns, etc all that give rise to the right amount of heat/cold, food sources, etc for the production of life and the survival of species.
Please show that these things could not happen naturally. I believe that you assume too much.
Why did you insert a god concept here? One doesn't seem needed from where I'm sitting (not that there couldn't be millions of gods for all we know).
He assumed that if we were created by an intelligence that it must be from the top down rather than from the ground up. He gives an example of from down up design, which could be by an intelligence.

From where I am sitting, naturalism fails, and God is a necessary being.

Have you read any of the atheists forms of natural metaphysics like Graham Oppy? You really should see what the alternatives to theism are. They are pretty far out.

Did you ever listen to the discussion between William Craig and Cosmic Skeptic? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOfVBqGPwi0

This is just one of the positions one would need to believe in to try to get around God philosophically. Views come with an intellectual price tag, some of which are too high to pay.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #25

Post by Diagoras »

AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:45 am [Replying to Compassionist in post #1]
I’m wondering if you have a cite for this?

Richard Dawkins also said this.

If we know more about the context and accuracy of the quote you’re ascribing to a well-known atheist, then we can fairly compare them to see if his words do in fact support your claim.

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

Diagoras wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:20 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:45 am [Replying to Compassionist in post #1]
I’m wondering if you have a cite for this?

Richard Dawkins also said this.

If we know more about the context and accuracy of the quote you’re ascribing to a well-known atheist, then we can fairly compare them to see if his words do in fact support your claim.
Lacking any context or linked source from AquinasForGod's to his allusion to Dawkins remark we can only guess as to what Dawkins meant by "design." Personally, my guess is that he was using "design" as a noun in the sense of definitions 6 or 7 below. A pattern.

design
de·​sign di-ˈzīn
noun

1a: a particular purpose or intention held in view by an individual or group
He has ambitious designs for his son.
1b: deliberate purposive planning
more by accident than design

2: a mental project or scheme in which means to an end are laid down
was never part of my design

3a: a deliberate undercover project or scheme : plot
a declaration of a design upon his life
John Locke
3bdesigns plural : aggressive or evil intent
—used with on or against
he has designs on the money

4: a preliminary sketch or outline showing the main features of something to be executed
the design for the new stadium

5a: an underlying scheme that governs functioning, developing, or unfolding : pattern, motif
the general design of the epic
5b: a plan or protocol for carrying out or accomplishing something (such as a scientific experiment)
also : the process of preparing this

6: the arrangement of elements or details in a product or work of art
… his sense of structure, both in the general design of Paradise Lost and Samson, and in his syntax …
T. S. Eliot

7: a decorative pattern
a floral design

8: the creative art of executing aesthetic or functional designs
studied design in college
source: Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Like a snowflake, which has an arrangement of elements to it, a pattern, but was not consciously created.