Bible study on the cheap

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

Difflugia
Prodigy

Bible study on the cheap

Post #1

Post by Difflugia »

There was some discussion of learning Greek and Hebrew in the Seminary Students forum. As mentioned there, the premiere Bible study software to have is Logos, but most of the study materials come with a pretty steep price tag. It also only runs on Windows or Mac and I use Linux most of the time.

I've managed to cobble together what I think is a pretty good set of tools such that I rarely miss the Logos resources that I've paid for and no longer pine for the ones that I haven't.

I'm going to start posting links to and descriptions of packages that I use, but if anyone else has anything to say or questions to ask, I'd be quite pleased if this managed to turn into a discussion.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Free Logos books for September

Post #21

Post by Difflugia »

The free books for Logos and Verbum (the Catholic version of Logos) are the Anchor Yale Bible volumes for Ruth and Philemon.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Free trinitarianism course

Post #22

Post by Difflugia »

Credo Courses occasionally offers some of its audio or video courses for free. I just got an email that the trinitarianism course is free in both audio-only and video versions at the moment. Since this is a recurring debate topic, I thought somebody here might find it interesting. It's ten sessions, each between an hour and an hour-and-a-half. Sign-up and going through the checkout process is required, but marketing email from them is limited and there's an opt out.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

otseng
Savant

Re: Bible study on the cheap

Post #23

Post by otseng »

One of the biggest challenges with Unique Bible App is getting it installed. You need to practically be a professional programmer to get it working, esp if you hit any installation snags. To make it easier to install, I've tried creating a binary version, but there's too many issues with it. The main blocker is virus checkers flag it for issues. I've also been playing with Portable Python and it does somewhat work, but it's also complicated to get that working. So, I've been working on creating a React/Next app to make it super easy to use. You can check it out at Simple Unique Bible Viewer. Functionality is minimalistic, but at least it can run anywhere and it's easy to install. If using an iPhone, open Safari and go to uniquebibleapp.com. After you load the app, click on the share button at the very bottom of the screen. Scroll up and select “Add to Home Screen” to install a shortcut on your home screen. On Android, open Chrome and go to uniquebibleapp.com. Click on 3 dot menu on top right. Click “Install as app” to install a shortcut on your home screen.