What doesnt kill you makes you stronger?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #1

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Nietzsche first stated, “Out of life's school of war—what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.” (1888)

It is also supported by many writers of the Bible.

Is this true?
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Re: What doesnt kill you makes you stronger?

Post #2

Post by OneWay »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:16 pm Nietzsche first stated, “Out of life's school of war—what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.” (1888)

Is this true?

Not always true.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #3

Post by Shem Yoshi »

OneWay wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:58 am
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:16 pm Nietzsche first stated, “Out of life's school of war—what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.” (1888)

Is this true?

Not always true.
Here is the question then. Say it is not true always, like for example an extreme case, someone is locked in a cage the entire first half of there life, they dont go to school, or play sports, etc... Many might say that person is weaker because of it, perhaps in his development.

But if that is true, let us take a normal case. Someone grows up but doesnt get all the advantages of another, they dont get the tutors, the private school, the private soccer lessons. So are they weaker because of it? They dont live in Beverly Hills... Perhpas they dont develop at their full capacity.

If that is true, we all have gotten weaker from nature. No one lives a perfect life, where the universe perfectly develops that person into a superhuman. Therefor by these disadvantages we get weaker everyday. Every moment, something isnt going perfectly, and we are weaker because of it.

It just bring into scrutiny all growth. Victims of reality. But it is objective that we grow every day, even if a perfect life is passing us by.

Miles
Savant

Post #4

Post by Miles »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:16 pm What doesnt kill you makes you stronger?
Good eating habits, sufficient rest, and physical exercise.

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #5

Post by Shem Yoshi »

Miles wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:16 pm What doesnt kill you makes you stronger?

What if a person is deprived of such things... they are weaker for it? Lets give an example. Say a person is taken prisoner of war (POW), and is kept in a little cell and served only bad food... Is that man weaker because of that experience?

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:56 pm
Miles wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:15 pm

What if a person is deprived of such things... they are weaker for it? Lets give an example. Say a person is taken prisoner of war (POW), and is kept in a little cell and served only bad food... Is that man weaker because of that experience?
It's not about weakness, but death: being killed. Good eating habits, sufficient rest, and physical exercise won't kill you, and it should make you stronger.