was Jesus fully human, or was he God in a disguise?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ozzy_O
Student

was Jesus fully human, or was he God in a disguise?

Post #1

Post by Ozzy_O »

Romans 3:23
For everyone has sinned; we all fall short of God’s glorious standard.

Romans 5:12
When Adam sinned, sin entered the world. Adam’s sin brought death, so death spread to everyone, for everyone sinned.

Inerrant scripture words say all men (and women) sinned

Look up the Greek, all and everyone means all and everyone

So every HUMAN sinned per the inerrant scriptures

So, here’s the options:

A) scripture is wrong, everyone didn’t sin and is not born a filthy little sinner

B) Jesus was FULLY MAN, which would have to include sin because the Bible says so, or he wouldn’t be a spotless lamb; He made a conscious decision not to sin, and he absolutely could help it (unlike Paul’s claims in Romans 7)

C) God put on a disguise; He acted like he was fully human but he wasn’t ( in which case living a sinless life is easy for God because he spoke the universe into existence)

Philippians 2:7
….but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.

He only took on the likeness of man not his full sin nature, in which case he didn’t play by the rules for us

No Christian has ever honestly answered this question

Let’s examine the premise we have been programmed to believe and critically examine the text

It has to be all one or the other for the story they tell us to be true

The truth is uncomfortable sometimes

So, which option is least damaging to the narrative?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Re: was Jesus fully human, or was he God in a disguise?

Post #11

Post by Athetotheist »

Miles wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:21 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm The reason he wasn't born with original sin is because he was born of the virgin Mary and Mary was protected from original sin, so that God incarnation would not inherit original sin.
This is an awfully strong claim. What is your evidence, i.e. book, chapter, and verse?
That's the Catholic Church doctrine [dogma] of the Immaculate Conception. It isn't in the Christian Bible, but the priests thought that an extra buffer was needed between Jesus and "original sin", so they had Anna, the mother of Mary, conceive without O. R. so Mary could be sinless, so Jesus could be sinless.

Why couldn't they have just had Jesus sinless to begin with? Who knows?

Miles
Savant

Post #12

Post by Miles »

Athetotheist wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:29 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm The reason he wasn't born with original sin is because he was born of the virgin Mary and Mary was protected from original sin, so that God incarnation would not inherit original sin.
This is an awfully strong claim. What is your evidence, i.e. book, chapter, and verse?
That's the Catholic Church doctrine [dogma] of the Immaculate Conception. It isn't in the Christian Bible, but the priests thought that an extra buffer was needed between Jesus and "original sin", so they had Anna, the mother of Mary, conceive without O. R. so Mary could be sinless, so Jesus could be sinless.

Why couldn't they have just had Jesus sinless to begin with? Who knows?
I gather it's safe to assume this Anna isn't mentioned as Mary's mother in the Bible. That Catholics simply made up the story about Mary's sinlessness and her supposed mother, Anna?

historia
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by historia »

AquinasForGod wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm
The reason he wasn't born with original sin is because he was born of the virgin Mary and Mary was protected from original sin, so that God incarnation would not inherit original sin.
Catechism of the Catholic Church 490-493.

historia
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by historia »

Miles wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 pm
I gather it's safe to assume this Anna isn't mentioned as Mary's mother in the Bible. That Catholics simply made up the story about Mary's sinlessness and her supposed mother, Anna?
I can see a Protestant making this argument. But help me out here, Miles: Why would a non-Christian draw a distinction between those Christian traditions that are recorded in the Bible and those that are not?

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:21 pm
AquinasForGod wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:16 pm
The reason he wasn't born with original sin is because he was born of the virgin Mary and Mary was protected from original sin, so that God incarnation would not inherit original sin.
Catechism of the Catholic Church 490-493.
So it's simply something Pope Pius IX decreed to be true, and nothing supported by direct statement in the Bible. Okay. Understood.

Miles
Savant

Post #16

Post by Miles »

historia wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:28 pm
Miles wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 pm
I can see a Protestant making this argument. But help me out here, Miles: Why would a non-Christian draw a distinction between those Christian traditions that are recorded in the Bible and those that are not?
As I recall, every claim about Biblical characters, god included, is said to be grounded in some chapter and verse. And after a brief look at Mary I found nothing saying she was without original sin or anything about her mother Anna. Now if I missed such allusions please give me a heads up; although your previous post informs me that the immaculate conception was simply a papal decree and not supported by any direct statement in the Bible.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #17

Post by Ozzy_O »

Don't the Roman Catholics claim inerrancy of scripture?

Isn't Romans 3:23 and Romans 5:12 the proof text of Mary being a sinner?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Ozzy_O in post #17
Don't the Roman Catholics claim inerrancy of scripture?
Yes, but the Catholic Church also claims an exclusive right to interpret scripture.

AquinasForGod
Sage

Post #19

Post by AquinasForGod »

I am not a bible only believer. It is in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. CCC.

508 From among the descendants of Eve, God chose the Virgin Mary to be the mother of his Son. "Full of grace", Mary is "the most excellent fruit of redemption" (SC 103): from the first instant of her conception, she was totally preserved from the stain of original sin and she remained pure from all personal sin throughout her life.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by Difflugia »

Miles wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:13 pmI gather it's safe to assume this Anna isn't mentioned as Mary's mother in the Bible. That Catholics simply made up the story about Mary's sinlessness and her supposed mother, Anna?
The Protoevangelium of James
My pronouns are he, him, and his.