How many religions came from America?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

How many religions came from America?

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

Is it evidence for or against religions if they came from America?

For instance Mormonism and Jehovah's Witnesses. Are there more? Scientology. Any more?

I would argue it is evidence against the religion because America has quite literally nothing the to do with the Bible. What other evidence flows from a religion coming from America?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

oldbadger
Guru

Re: How many religions came from America?

Post #241

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:34 pm
The Jewish spiritual leaders sent Jesus to Pilate. They egged the crowds on to ask for Barabbas release according to the bible. So they were responsible.
At last..... so the Jewish Priesthood was the corrupted, fattened, hypocritical mob that Jesus stood against, supported by a local crowd. The Northern Jews were a totally different people, even speaking a different dialect.....Eastern Aramaic.

And yet that became 'the Jews'...... two millenia of anti-Semitism, right there.

I wonder who Jesus Son of the Father was? He had led some kind of demonstration and a person had died during it. And the people loved him, just as they had loved the man called Jesus who had entered Jerusalem only 6 days before. Does your bible name Barabbas as 'Jesus'? Early gospels did, so I wonder if your God guided your translators in that point?

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #242

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 am
kjw47 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:34 pm
The Jewish spiritual leaders sent Jesus to Pilate. They egged the crowds on to ask for Barabbas release according to the bible. So they were responsible.
At last..... so the Jewish Priesthood was the corrupted, fattened, hypocritical mob that Jesus stood against, supported by a local crowd. The Northern Jews were a totally different people, even speaking a different dialect.....Eastern Aramaic.

And yet that became 'the Jews'...... two millenia of anti-Semitism, right there.

I wonder who Jesus Son of the Father was? He had led some kind of demonstration and a person had died during it. And the people loved him, just as they had loved the man called Jesus who had entered Jerusalem only 6 days before. Does your bible name Barabbas as 'Jesus'? Early gospels did, so I wonder if your God guided your translators in that point?

The bible doesnt name Barabbas as Jesus. Barabbas was wicked.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #243

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:06 pm
Earliest bibles did name Barabbas as Jesus. Jesus son of the Father. If your bible has excluded his first name then it isn't accurate.
Jesus son of man must have caused a huge commotion in the Great Temple when he and his followers ransacked the money bazaar and picketed the Temple Courts. I've often wondered whether these men were one and the same person. But they weren't wicked, they were demonstrating against a completely corrupted, careless and hypocritical Temple Priesthood.

And so the man who was welcomed and saluted in to Jerusalem on that Sunday might have been the same man that the crowds insisted on saving on the Friday. Now that would make sense to me...... consistent......

I've often wondered about that.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #244

Post by Difflugia »

oldbadger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 amDoes your bible name Barabbas as 'Jesus'? Early gospels did, so I wonder if your God guided your translators in that point?
From the Matthew volume of the The Anchor Bible by William F. Albright, note on Matthew 27:16:
We have preferred the reading Jesus Barabbas on the grounds that the dropping of the name "Jesus" by a later editor (or scribe) is far more likely than the addition of that name. It is Mark who gives us the information that Barabbas had been involved in insurrection.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #245

Post by oldbadger »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 am
From the Matthew volume of the The Anchor Bible by William F. Albright, note on Matthew 27:16:
We have preferred the reading Jesus Barabbas on the grounds that the dropping of the name "Jesus" by a later editor (or scribe) is far more likely than the addition of that name. It is Mark who gives us the information that Barabbas had been involved in insurrection.
The two first-names, with their close 'nicknames', the one leading a ransacking of the money bazaar and picketing the Temple Courts, the other leading a riot in which somebody died..... these situations are so close as to be one, I think. And the ecstatic welcome on the Sunday, the recce of the Temple prior to any actions, with what must have been a lot of people involved in the demonstrations on Monday and Tuesday, and the crowd motivated enough on the Friday for Pilate to think of some reason for a release........... if that does all fit together then who got nailed up?

Certainly the Christian account fails (for me) in any case.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #246

Post by kjw47 »

oldbadger wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:56 am
Earliest bibles did name Barabbas as Jesus. Jesus son of the Father. If your bible has excluded his first name then it isn't accurate.
Jesus son of man must have caused a huge commotion in the Great Temple when he and his followers ransacked the money bazaar and picketed the Temple Courts. I've often wondered whether these men were one and the same person. But they weren't wicked, they were demonstrating against a completely corrupted, careless and hypocritical Temple Priesthood.

And so the man who was welcomed and saluted in to Jerusalem on that Sunday might have been the same man that the crowds insisted on saving on the Friday. Now that would make sense to me...... consistent......

I've often wondered about that.

Thats hogwash.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #247

Post by kjw47 »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:29 am
oldbadger wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 1:56 amDoes your bible name Barabbas as 'Jesus'? Early gospels did, so I wonder if your God guided your translators in that point?

Words of a deceived man.

Difflugia
Prodigy

Post #248

Post by Difflugia »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:50 pmWords of a deceived man.
You misspelled "educated."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

kjw47
Under Probation

Post #249

Post by kjw47 »

Difflugia wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:53 pm
kjw47 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:50 pmWords of a deceived man.
You misspelled "educated."

I was referring to the one you were quoting in your post.

oldbadger
Guru

Post #250

Post by oldbadger »

kjw47 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:49 pm
Thats hogwash.
All those accounts are reported in the gospels. Jesus even carried out a pre-incident recce in the Temple, the day before. You should read about these things.