Who would the antichrist fool?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Who would the antichrist fool?

Post #1

Post by Athetotheist »

"....and all the world wondered after the beast." (Rev. 13:3)

The antichrist is supposed to fool everyone----except true Christians----into worshipping him.

How well would that work out? Would he be able to fool.....

Jews? Judaism holds that only God is to be worshipped and that God does not take any physical form. Worship of any human being is considered blasphemous idolatry, and any wonders the antichrist performed would be interpreted as the workings of a false teacher sent by God to test the Jewish people.

Muslims? Islam also teaches that God takes no physical form, so they too would instantly peg the antichrist as a phony.

Feminist Pagans would reject any god-claim which didn't acknowledge the Goddess.

Atheists would suspect any miracle of being either a trick or a coincidence. An "image of the beast" brought to life could be taken for an artificial intelligence project.

The god-claim of the antichrist being fundamentally incompatible with so many beliefs, who would be left for the antichrist to fool?

Tcg
Savant

Re: Who would the antichrist fool?

Post #101

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:58 am
Tcg wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:57 pm
Athetotheist wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:10 pm
So I read what was in your post and now you're trying to walk it back? Nice dodge.
Nope. You claimed to know what was in my mind. Care to support this claim with you know, verifiable evidence?
"In reality gods can't be shown to exist anywhere outside of the imagination of human beings.
......none can be shown to actually exist."

Own the evidence.
You've yet to provide any to support your supposed mind reading abilities. Care to at least attempt to?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #102

Post by Athetotheist »

Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am
So I read what was in your post and now you're trying to walk it back? Nice dodge.
Nope. You claimed to know what was in my mind. Care to support this claim with you know, verifiable evidence?
"In reality gods can't be shown to exist anywhere outside of the imagination of human beings.

Own the evidence.
You've yet to provide any to support your supposed mind reading abilities. Care to at least attempt to?
You've yet to explain what you meant by the above if you didn't mean what you said above.

Tcg
Savant

Post #103

Post by Tcg »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 am
Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:13 am

Own the evidence.
You've yet to explain what you meant by the above if you didn't mean what you said above.
It is not my job to support your claim of knowing what is in my mind. Care to explain how you know what is in my mind?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

historia
Prodigy

Post #104

Post by historia »

Tcg wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:44 am
Care to explain how you know what is in my mind?
It appears that Athetotheist's assertion here is predicated on the assumption that what someone writes reflects what's on their mind.

Seems reasonable.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #105

Post by Clownboat »

tam wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:28 pm Well then there you go, there is something to 'calculate'; though I don't see anyone figuring it out on their own; Christ is Wisdom... and we are to learn from Him.
How can we learn from Christ when we have people claiming to speak on his behalf?
For example, in this thread (Post 84): "(This is something my Lord has confirmed to me, so that it is not my knowledge or wisdom, but rather, His.)"

All of a sudden, a human has convinced themself that their claims are the actual knowledge of a god concept! :shock:
An odd thought no? Actually thinking that a persons knowledge/wisdom is the knowledge/wisdom of a god. Imagine if a dictator could convince themselves of such a thing!

My knowledge is actually the knowledge of a God is a power no sane human should think they have IMO.
Narcissistic if not straight out dangerous (in the wrong hands) to have such thoughts, or would you disagree?
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Clownboat
Savant

Post #106

Post by Clownboat »

Athetotheist wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 am You've yet to explain what you meant by the above if you didn't mean what you said above.
Tcg wrote:"I've pointed out the fallacy of you speaking on behalf of atheists and misrepresenting us."
Athetotheist said: "Atheists would suspect any miracle of being either a trick or a coincidence."

Athetotheist, please stop misrepresenting atheists.
Thought I would remind the readers as to whom is doing the actual dodging here.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #107

Post by William »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #105]
How can we learn from Christ when we have people claiming to speak on his behalf?
Who are you referring to as 'we'? Other atheists? Is that a misrepresentation of atheists?

How can you learn from Christ when you have people claiming to speak on his behalf?

Isn't that what Tam is telling us? Not that we should listen to her, but that we should learn how to listen to Christ?

Is you question therefore, "How can I learn to listen to Christ and not to people claiming to speak on his behalf?" :?:

How should Tam answer that question and have you listen to her at the same time?

Athetotheist
Prodigy

Post #108

Post by Athetotheist »

[Replying to Clownboat in post #106
Athetotheist said: "Atheists would suspect any miracle of being either a trick or a coincidence."

Athetotheist, please stop misrepresenting atheists.
Okay, I'll stop assuming that atheists are all skeptical of miracles----but one question. And you don't have to answer me, but you do have to answer yourself:

In all the time you've been an atheist, have you ever heard or seen a claim of the miraculous and not suspected that it was false?

tam
Savant

Post #109

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Clownboat wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:42 pm
tam wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:28 pm Well then there you go, there is something to 'calculate'; though I don't see anyone figuring it out on their own; Christ is Wisdom... and we are to learn from Him.
Your question doesn't make sense. If you shared something that you learned from a teacher of yours, does that mean no one else can go and learn from that teacher, themselves?
For example, in this thread (Post 84): "(This is something my Lord has confirmed to me, so that it is not my knowledge or wisdom, but rather, His.)"

All of a sudden, a human has convinced themself that their claims are the actual knowledge of a god concept! :shock:
An odd thought no? Actually thinking that a persons knowledge/wisdom is the knowledge/wisdom of a god. Imagine if a dictator could convince themselves of such a thing!

My knowledge is actually the knowledge of a God is a power no sane human should think they have IMO.
It's odd, because I actually said the exact opposite. It is not my knowledge. I am not wise enough to figure these things out myself.

Instead, I give credit to my Teacher, as is His due. You can accept or reject or ignore that as you choose, but I am not going to claim something as my own when it belongs to someone else.

I'm certainly not going to say 'this means such and such because I am so wise and I figured it out'.

Narcissistic if not straight out dangerous (in the wrong hands) to have such thoughts, or would you disagree?
If it is untrue... or in the wrong hands (say if someone used it for their own profit - and/or - to gain followers after themselves, even going so far as to teach people that they have to obey them, etc)... yes I would agree.

But wait - that is what religion does; religion even teaches people that to leave the religion is to leave God. That they have to obey the leaders in the religion (no matter what). That is not something I have ever done nor do I have even the REMOTEST desire to do. I can be wrong. I could even hear wrong. I am just a person. That is why it is important to TEST the inspired expressions: against love (because God is love and what comes from Him will not be against love) and against Christ (ask Him for His truth; if you do not yet hear Him, then at the least test against what He is written to have said.... if someone tells you to hate your enemies, well you can know that did not come from Christ even if they claim otherwise; because Christ had some very definite words on the matter of who to love, to forgive, to show mercy toward.)

I am just a witness (to Christ). Listen to and follow Him (regardless of what 'tammy' says or does). If indeed you are or wish to be one of His disciples.

Peace again to you all,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)

tam
Savant

Post #110

Post by tam »

[Replying to William in post #107]

Isn't that what Tam is telling us? Not that we should listen to her, but that we should learn how to listen to Christ?

THANK YOU, WILLIAM!

You summed up in one sentence what I took an entire post to say.

Peace to you!
- Non-religious Christian spirituality

- For Christ (who is the Spirit)