social norms and you

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Shem Yoshi
Sage

social norms and you

Post #1

Post by Shem Yoshi »

what are some beliefs that you see society hold, in morality, that you question? How would you establish what is right and wrong?

I seem to question ethics a lot. Do people really believe they can understand what is right and wrong and judge others on how they see it? And a lot of the time they contradict each other.

A story from the Gospel comes to mind, when Jesus rebuked the Pharisees
"18 For John came neither eating nor drinking, and they say, ‘He has a demon.’ 19 The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, ‘Here is a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners.’"

When one man didnt eat they called him wrong, but when another eat they called him wrong.

what are some beliefs that you see society hold, in morality, that you question? How would you establish what is right and wrong? is it objective?

One example might even be taken from this website... It is looked well upon to be civil, and one way to do that would be to complement and encourage another person who doesnt hold your beliefs.

But even 2 John 1 says "10 If anyone comes to your meeting and does not teach the truth about Christ, don’t invite that person into your home or give any kind of encouragement. 11 Anyone who encourages such people becomes a partner in their evil work."

kind of funny.... everyone has an opinion
“Them that die'll be the lucky ones.”

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Re: social norms and you

Post #11

Post by Shem Yoshi »

help3434 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:54 pm
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:25 pm
help3434 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:20 pm [Replying to Shem Yoshi in post #7]

The negative effects of being exposed to sex too early:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5435379 and imbalanced power dynamic between a teenager and an adult are two reasons why it is a very bad idea.
How do we even conclude that suffering is wrong? Nietzsche said, “what doesn't kill me, makes me stronger.”.. Paul Said "take joy in your tribulations"
I don't think all suffering makes people stronger. It can make people weaker. There is a wide gulf in not being so shielded from the challenges of life that you don't learn problem solving skills and discipline, and being molested and enslaved.
Im convinced what doesnt kill you makes you stronger.

A child who goes through cancer might have long term effects from treatment, but they are stronger. They went through it, they experienced its suffering and persevered. Every moment I live I grow, no matter what i do I grow in age and experience. Surely what doesnt kill me makes me stronger. I lived through it all.

Though i suppose you would have to define the term of how it makes you "stronger". But surely I get stronger every day, and perhaps it is because of Faith.

"16 Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day."~Paul~"Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope."

if we dont believe we get stronger by the things we live through, then we must get weaker. Anything could make you weaker. You loose a finger as a child you are weaker for it. You have trauma, you are weaker because of it. You suffer and are weaker because of it.

If we got weaker from experiences, you could define anything as getting you weaker. a head ache might make you lose your train of thought, and therefor you are weaker because of it. Maybe not even a head ache maybe you just loose concentration. We could say anything makes us weaker, but that cant be true, because we live and grow whether we like it or not.

Im convinced that we get stronger day by day. But perhaps that is because of Faith

help3434
Guru

Post #12

Post by help3434 »

Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:58 pm

Why?
A child who goes through cancer might have long term effects from treatment, but they are stronger. They went through it, they experienced its suffering and persevered. Every moment I live I grow, no matter what i do I grow in age and experience. Surely what doesnt kill me makes me stronger. I lived through it all.
And maybe the experience makes some bitter and cynical. If you think everyone deals with living through suffering the same way I think you are being willfully blind.
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:58 pm Though i suppose you would have to define the term of how it makes you "stronger"
Yeah, and stronger for what? Strong to deal with more suffering so you can yet again be strong enough to deal with even more suffering? For what ultimate end? Do you get an extra pat on the back in heaven if you enter as an emotionally buff titan of willpower?

If we got weaker from experiences, you could define anything as getting you weaker. a head ache might make you lose your train of thought, and therefor you are weaker because of it. Maybe not even a head ache maybe you just loose concentration. We could say anything makes us weaker, but that cant be true, because we live and grow whether we like it or not.
So you don't think that some people regress in character because of their experiences? You don't think people lose their faith and hope?

Shem Yoshi
Sage

Post #13

Post by Shem Yoshi »

help3434 wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:04 pm

Why?
And maybe the experience makes some bitter and cynical. If you think everyone deals with living through suffering the same way I think you are being willfully blind.
Shem Yoshi wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:58 pm Though i suppose you would have to define the term of how it makes you "stronger"
Yeah, and stronger for what? Strong to deal with more suffering so you can yet again be strong enough to deal with even more suffering? For what ultimate end? Do you get an extra pat on the back in heaven if you enter as an emotionally buff titan of willpower?

So you don't think that some people regress in character because of their experiences? You don't think people lose their faith and hope?
Well it is a good question.
1) how is stronger defined.
2) is it objective (e.i. for everyone), or not.

Perhaps it is because of my Faith? In fact scripture says some are being saved and some are perishing.

But one thing is objective... we grow at every progressing moment in time. We can say that for sure.

Wyn Morrigan

Post #14

Post by Wyn Morrigan »

As someone who has lived through a disproportionate amount of trauma, has healed from some of it, and is still working on healing from the rest, this is reductive and false, and glorifies trauma in an unhealthy way to the exclusion of the individual and the work they put in to survive it.

"Ten spears go to battle, and nine shatter. Did the war forge the one that remained? No. All the war did was identify the spear that would not break." (Bran Sanderson)

Even that's reductive, but it's better (and I just like that quote. XD ).
I am not strong because I was abused; I am strong because of my brother's example when he protected me, and I am strong because of the people who helped me heal, and the mountains I have climbed.

It is true that you sometimes find great strength in people who have survived great trauma, but that's not only a selection bias (the ones who didn't survive aren't here to be tested), but it ignores the fact that you gain the strength from the healing, and from the mountains you climb on the other side, and not from the trauma itself.