Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #521

Post by OneWay »

Diagoras wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:22 pm
OneWay wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:31 pmWhat is a demon? You answer this, and we can proceed to the next step.
Answered:
I wrote:It’s an explanation given by some for phenomena that modern medicine more usually ascribes to a range of neurological conditions.
You then wrote:No, first we must establish the definition of a demon between the both of us.
Apologies - I mistakenly thought ‘the next step’ would be somehow forwards.

I suggest that to establish an agreed definition of a demon, you will need to post what you think is a suitable definition as well. Given some of your previous pronouncements on the subject, you surely have an idea of what they are?
Maybe I am having an conversation with one on this thread. Demons can possess people don't you know?

Diagoras
Guru

Post #522

Post by Diagoras »

OneWay wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:29 pmMaybe I am having an conversation with one on this thread. Demons can possess people don't you know?
Cute… but why am I not surprised?

What is a demon? You answer this, and we can proceed to the next step. By that I mean, “start asking questions around their characteristics”.

brunumb
Savant

Post #523

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to Diagoras in post #522]

I think we have been dragged down the rabbit hole or simply trolled. As soon as claimants of anything supernatural are asked to put up, all we invariably get is the run-around and time wasting stupidity. Time to pull the plug on this one for me. Good luck if you decide to continue. Here is my personal prophecy: you will get nothing of any value.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #524

Post by OneWay »

brunumb wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:09 am [Replying to Diagoras in post #522]

I think we have been dragged down the rabbit hole or simply trolled. As soon as claimants of anything supernatural are asked to put up, all we invariably get is the run-around and time wasting stupidity. Time to pull the plug on this one for me. Good luck if you decide to continue. Here is my personal prophecy: you will get nothing of any value.
You may even be a demon. They are everywhere. The earth is overrun with them.
And why would you care about the spirit realm if you believe it does not exist?
When people want to discuss with me those things they do not believe
exist it makes me think they are up to something that is no good.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #525

Post by JoeyKnothead »

OneWay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pm

My data suggests the most likely demons are those who believe in em.
Cause so many folks want us all to act as if it does.
When people want to discuss with me those things they do not believe exist it makes me think they are up to something that is no good.
No doubt the thiest considers it demonic to ask how we can know they speak truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Diagoras
Guru

Post #526

Post by Diagoras »

OneWay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pmYou may even be a demon.
Wait - aren’t they supposed to be supernatural?

They are everywhere. The earth is overrun with them.
And some evidence to support this claim is coming up in the next step of the debate process?

I care that people could put themselves at a severe disadvantage if they believed in demons enough to reject medicines that could help them.

When people want to discuss with me those things they do not believe exist it makes me think they are up to something that is no good.
In contrast, when people deflect or refuse to answer basic questions about their belief, I tend to just think they are feeling a little foolish or embarrassed that they might not have thought their position through at all.

I certainly don’t believe they’re ‘up to no good’.

Now - if I remember correctly, you were about to offer your definition of ‘demon’, weren’t you?

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #527

Post by OneWay »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:59 pm
OneWay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pm

My data suggests the most likely demons are those who believe in em.
Cause so many folks want us all to act as if it does.
No doubt the thiest considers it demonic to ask how we can know they speak truth.
Do you speak the truth all the time?

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #528

Post by OneWay »

Diagoras wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:05 pm
OneWay wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 12:57 pmYou may even be a demon.
Wait - aren’t they supposed to be supernatural?

They are everywhere. The earth is overrun with them.
And some evidence to support this claim is coming up in the next step of the debate process?

I care that people could put themselves at a severe disadvantage if they believed in demons enough to reject medicines that could help them.

In contrast, when people deflect or refuse to answer basic questions about their belief, I tend to just think they are feeling a little foolish or embarrassed that they might not have thought their position through at all.

I certainly don’t believe they’re ‘up to no good’.

Now - if I remember correctly, you were about to offer your definition of ‘demon’, weren’t you?
A demon is an evil spirit.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #529

Post by OneWay »

Jose Fly wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:49 pm
William wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:25 pm Q: How do we find a demon and ask it questions?
I'd like to know, because I've tried to summon, bring forth, interact with, contact, one many many times....all with no success.
Demons speak to you all the time.
So therefore you do not have to summon them up...as you say.

They speak to everyone
at one time or another.
Some more than others
depending upon their agenda and objective.

They can speak to you through another human
or they can speak to you through your mind.

They have several ways of communicating with you.

But what you are seeking is to find an open door to
speak with them as one of them.

Before you can do that,
they have open the door for you.

That ain't going to happen for you.

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #530

Post by Ozzy_O »

DrNoGods wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 pm As no legitimate (ie. scientific, observational, measurable, reproducible, real-world) evidence for their existence has ever been produced, it is safe to assume that they do not exist and can be placed in the same category as all other supernatural entities such as gods, devils, angels, leprechauns, fairies, spirits, etc. etc. These entities exist only in the minds of humans who believe in the supernatural, despite it never having been demonstrated to exist.
Can you give us the link to the peer reviewed science on the big bang, which was observed, measured, reproduced, in a real world laboratory?

Same with "climate change"
Or the sci nice that disproves the male and female chromosomes determine sex
Or proof of the "queer gene"

No because that "science" isn't the real, it's made up....but ya, tell me demons aren't real cause "science"