Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

DrNoGods
Prodigy

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #531

Post by DrNoGods »

[Replying to Ozzy_O in post #532]
Can you give us the link to the peer reviewed science on the big bang, which was observed, measured, reproduced, in a real world laboratory?
The Big Bang is a hypothesis ... it has not been confirmed in every detail but is supported by certain observations such as the present expansion of the universe, the cosmic background radiation and its characteristics, etc. It wasn't just pulled from thin air and may turn out to be wrong or need serious modifications (eg. to deal with the singularity at t=0). And obviously it cannot be reproduced in a laboratory on this tiny planet. But it is the prevailing hypothesis based on the observations we do have.
Same with "climate change"
This is not just a hypothesis. We can directly measure global atmospheric temperatures over time (and have both directly, and long before the industrial revolution from analyzing ice cores, tree rings, and other methods). We can see a very high correlation between global atmospheric temperatures and anthropogenic activity that strongly suggests this activity is responsible for the rising temperatures. We may not yet know 100% of the details of how much is human caused and how much is natural, but we have enough data to know that the human caused portion is absolutely not insignificant.
Or the sci nice that disproves the male and female chromosomes determine sex
In humans, it is the 23rd pair of chromosomes that are the sex chromosomes. XX is female, XY is male. Science has never disproved this, but rather it was science that proved it. Why would you think science disproves male and female chromosomes? It is just the opposite. This isn't in dispute.
Or proof of the "queer gene"
I've never heard this term do have no idea what it refers to. It is a fact that some people prefer members of their own sex, and whether there are common genetic reasons for this I don't know. But humans vary widely in their preferences in just about every category, and some have a genetic basis.
No because that "science" isn't the real, it's made up....but ya, tell me demons aren't real cause "science"
Science is made up? You obviously don't know what science is if you think that. Demons don't exist just because someone imagines that they do. Climate change does exist because it can be directly measured. See the difference?
In human affairs the sources of success are ever to be found in the fountains of quick resolve and swift stroke; and it seems to be a law, inflexible and inexorable, that he who will not risk cannot win.
John Paul Jones, 1779

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Mark Twain

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #532

Post by JoeyKnothead »

OneWay wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:10 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:59 pm No doubt the thiest considers it demonic to ask how we can know they speak truth.
Do you speak the truth all the time?
My telling the truth, or being a bald faced liar, has no bearing on the theist's inability to show they tell it.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #533

Post by OneWay »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:37 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:59 pm No doubt the thiest considers it demonic to ask how we can know they speak truth.
My telling the truth, or being a bald faced liar, has no bearing on the theist's inability to show they tell it.
Birds of the feather flock together.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #534

Post by JoeyKnothead »

OneWay wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:17 pm
So do sheep.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #535

Post by OneWay »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:42 pm
OneWay wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:17 pm
So do sheep.
Except for them that stray.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #536

Post by Jose Fly »

OneWay wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:15 am
Jose Fly wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 9:49 pm
William wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:25 pm Q: How do we find a demon and ask it questions?
I'd like to know, because I've tried to summon, bring forth, interact with, contact, one many many times....all with no success.
Demons speak to you all the time.
So therefore you do not have to summon them up...as you say.

They speak to everyone
at one time or another.
Some more than others
depending upon their agenda and objective.

They can speak to you through another human
or they can speak to you through your mind.

They have several ways of communicating with you.

But what you are seeking is to find an open door to
speak with them as one of them.

Before you can do that,
they have open the door for you.

That ain't going to happen for you.
How do you tell when it's a demon speaking to you?
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #537

Post by Jose Fly »

Ozzy_O wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:21 am Can you give us the link to the peer reviewed science on the big bang, which was observed, measured, reproduced, in a real world laboratory?
Can you do the same for the earth orbiting the sun? Where has that been reproduced in a lab?

William
Savant

Post #538

Post by William »

Jose Fly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm
William wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:25 pm Q: How do we find a demon and ask it questions?
I'd like to know, because I've tried to summon, bring forth, interact with, contact, one many many times....all with no success.

They speak to everyone
at one time or another.
Some more than others

Before you can do that,

Since we also have angels and know that these are traditionally treated as in opposition to one another, we could ascertain from that, that demons describe any inner voice which causes the hearer to become upset and imbalanced, such as with Joey's cowardly voice of derision, for which Joey takes medication in order to counter the negative affects of that voice in his head.

On the other hand, we have Tam, who tells us that she listens to the voice of her Lord, to which she unashamedly tells us she is a 'slave' to, and has no need of medication to silence that voice, as it does not speak to her in cowardly derogatory terms.

Re all that, we also have warnings which inform us that there is a grey area where demons can pretend to be angels [but not that angels can pretend to be demons] and therein that knowledge we can determine "when it's a demon speaking to you" and when it is not.

In simple materialistic terms, this equates to one's inner voice narrating either good messages or bad messages which either build a personality up, or cast a personality down...

...the tricky bit appears to be that a personality requires some type of insight in order to be able to tell the difference between being built up and being cast down...hence questions like "How do you tell when it's a demon speaking to you?" get asked.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #539

Post by Jose Fly »

William wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:49 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:08 pm

They speak to everyone
at one time or another.
Some more than others

Before you can do that,

Since we also have angels and know that these are traditionally treated as in opposition to one another, we could ascertain from that, that demons describe any inner voice which causes the hearer to become upset and imbalanced, such as with Joey's cowardly voice of derision, for which Joey takes medication in order to counter the negative affects of that voice in his head.

On the other hand, we have Tam, who tells us that she listens to the voice of her Lord, to which she unashamedly tells us she is a 'slave' to, and has no need of medication to silence that voice, as it does not speak to her in cowardly derogatory terms.

Re all that, we also have warnings which inform us that there is a grey area where demons can pretend to be angels [but not that angels can pretend to be demons] and therein that knowledge we can determine "when it's a demon speaking to you" and when it is not.

In simple materialistic terms, this equates to one's inner voice narrating either good messages or bad messages which either build a personality up, or cast a personality down...

...the tricky bit appears to be that a personality requires some type of insight in order to be able to tell the difference between being built up and being cast down...hence questions like "How do you tell when it's a demon speaking to you?" get asked.
So "Good thoughts = angels; Bad thoughts = demons"?

How was it ever established that any of those actually came from angels/demons, rather than just being one's own thoughts?

William
Savant

Post #540

Post by William »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #539]
So "Good thoughts = angels; Bad thoughts = demons"?

How was it ever established that any of those actually came from angels/demons, rather than just being one's own thoughts?
How has it ever been established that out thoughts do NOT come from demons or angels, given the subject remains open and questions such as "Do demons exist? Can that be tested?" derive?

Re that, with both Joey's testimony and Tam's, in both cases the information is that the voices heard are not recognized simply as being from ones own thought/self - but are distinct as in 'other' - so the answer is not simply "good thoughts/bad thoughts" = "my thoughts which I generated for myself.", thus - more study is required...