Pointless Posts, Raves n Rants, Obscure Opinions

Moderator: Moderators

YourWordIsTruth
Student

Jesus Christ The Only Wise God

Post #1

Post by YourWordIsTruth »

Jesus Christ The Only Wise God

It is argued by some, that verses in the Bible, like John 17:3, where the Father is called, “The only True God”; and Romans 16:27, where the Father is called, “God only wise”; that Jesus Christ is not “God” (ὁ θεὸς), because in these passages, the Father is called, “the ONLY True God (τὸν μόνον ἀληθινὸν θεὸν)”. These passages are used by some who deny that Jesus Christ is Almighty God, equal to the Father, and by those who wrongly assume, that Jesus Christ is a “lesser God”, than the Father. The early Church heretic, Origen, taught that the Father alone is “ὁ θεὸς”, and Jesus Christ is simple “θεὸς”, which is followed by the present day cult known as the Jehovah’s Witnesses.

It is clear from 1 Timothy 1:17, the Lord Jesus Christ is called, “The only Wise God”.

“Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God (μονω σοφω θεω), be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen”

This verse is not, as some assume, a Doxology by Paul to God the Father. The context of which these words are written, are clearly to the Lord Jesus Christ, and not the Father.

In verses 12-16, Paul writes:

“And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry; Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief. And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus. This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. Howbeit for this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew forth all longsuffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter believe on him to life everlasting”

Here Paul thanks Jesus Christ, who “enabled” him, and counted him “faithful”, and for the grace shown by Jesus Christ to him, which was “abundant”, with “faith and love”, in Jesus. Paul then goes on to say that Jesus Christ came into this world to save sinners, of whom he is the “chief”. That he “obtained mercy” from Jesus Christ, Who displayed in Paul “all long-suffering”, to be shown to all thereafter. All of this is gratitude and heart felt thanks, by Paul, to the Lord Jesus Christ, who put him “into the ministry”.

It is only fitting that after all of this, that Paul says what he does in verse 17, to Jesus Christ, for all that He has done for him, though he was “a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious”, and no doubt deserved to be punished by the Lord instead!

There is no reason, either contextually, grammatically, or theologically, to understand verse 17, as a Doxology to God the Father, and not Jesus Christ. It is only those who find it difficult to accept, that Jesus Christ IS Himself, Almighty God, and completely coequal to the Father in the Eternal Godhead, that they will try to dispose of any reference to Jesus Christ as GOD, as done in other places.

In the Greek of verse 17, Paul begins by saying, “τῷ δὲ”. The use of the particle “δὲ” here, is emphatic, as in “in fact”. A good example of this is seen in Paul’s Second Letter to the Corinthians, where in chapter 10, he begins verse 2, “δέομαι δὲ”, which should be translated as, “yea, I beseech you” (ASV, ERV). “Yea” is used to show, “more than this: not only so but — used to introduce a more explicit or emphatic phrase” (Webster ED). Paul is in 1 Timothy 1:17, giving praise to the Lord Jesus Christ, for all that He has done for, and shown him!

At the time that Paul was writing this Letter to Timothy, Jesus Christ was “invisible”, as He was in Heaven, and not on earth.

What of the use of “μόνος”, in John 17:3, and Romans 16:27, when use for God the Father? Does this mean that He “alone” is God, and no One else? In Isaiah 46:9 it says, “Remember the former things of old, For I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like Me”. And, in Psalm 86:10, “You perform great wonders because you alone are God”. The Hebrew “בַּד”, has the meaning “alone, only”. The Greek “μόνος”, is much wider than “only” in meaning, and can be used for, “above all others, unique”. This “Uniqueness” of the God of the Bible, can be seen in passages like Isaiah 37:16, “O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, enthroned above the cherubim, you are the God, you alone (μόνος), of all the kingdoms of the earth; you have made heaven and earth”. God is here contrasted above all the kingdoms of the earth, as UNIQUE.

However, though we read of “alone, only”, we cannot conclude that the Father ONLY is God, and neither Jesus Christ or the Holy Spirit are. This is not what the Bible teaches.

In chapter 3 of this same Letter, according to the best textual evidence, Paul says of Jesus Christ, that He is, “θεος εφανερωθη εν σαρκι”, “God was manifested in the flesh”. In Romans 9:5, Paul says of Jesus Christ, “ο χριστος το κατα σαρκα ο ων επι παντων θεος ευλογητος εις τους αιωνας αμην”, “the Christ who is God over all blessed forever. Amen”. In Titus 2:13, Paul says, “της δοξης του μεγαλου θεου και σωτηρος ημων ιησου χριστου”, “the Glory of our Great God and Saviour Jesus Christ”. In Acts 20:28, Paul says of Jesus Christ, “την εκκλησιαν του θεου ην περιεποιησατο δια του ιδιου αιματος”, “to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood”. In Hebrews 1:8, 9: Paul says of God the Father’s words to Jesus Christ, “ο θρονος σου ο θεος...σε ο θεος ο θεος σου“Your Throne O God...therefore O God, Your God”. Jesus Christ is Almighty God.

In Acts chapter 5, we read the account of Ananias, and his wife Sapphira, who tried to lie to the Holy Spirit (τὸ πνεῦμα τὸ ἅγιον, verse 3). In verse 4, Peter tells Ananias, that by lying to the Holy Spirit, he actually had lied “ῷ θεῷ”. The Greek does not allow any other reading than “God”, not “god” or “a god”, as here we have the definite article used, “ῷ”, which some wrongly conclude, is only used for the Father. In 1 Corinthians 6:19, Paul says, “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own”. And, in chapter 3, verses 16 and 17, we read, “Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple”. Clearly the Holy Spirit is Almighty God.

When we read of passages like Isaiah 45:21, “Is it not I, the LORD? And there is no other God besides Me, A righteous God and a Savior; There is none except Me”. And, Deuteronomy 4:35, “To you it was shown that you might know that the Lord, He is God; there is no other besides Him”. It is clear that these do not refer to the Father only, but to the Three Persons in the One Godhead. This is clear from the verse in Isaiah, were we read of Yahweh, Who is Elohim, Who is The Saviour, and the words, “There is none except Me”, shows UNIQUENESS, but not ONLY, as Jesus Christ is The Saviour in the New Testament, as it does in John 4:42, “And said unto the woman, Now we believe, not because of thy saying: for we have heard him ourselves, and know that this is indeed the Saviour of the world the Christ (ο σωτηρ του κοσμου ο χριστος)” Yet, in Isaiah 43:11 it says, “I, I am YHWH; and beside me there is no Saviour”. YHWH is the ONLY Saviour, Who is The Lord Jesus Christ! Clear Testimony that Jesus Christ IS Almighty God, as are the Father and Holy Spirit. Three distinct but EQUAL Persons, One Godhead!

There is no reason that 1 Timothy 1:17, is addressed to Jesus Christ, which the context shows to be the Person Paul is speaking about.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Jesus Christ The Only Wise God

Post #2

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to YourWordIsTruth in post #1]

Moderator Action

Moved due to no clear question for debate.

Moderator actions indicate that a thread/post has been locked, moved, merged, or split.

YourWordIsTruth
Student

Post #3

Hello, I cannot understand why this thread is moved to "Random Ramblings", when it is Bible Doctrine, and rightly was in the Theology section? There is nothing "Random" or "Rambling" about what I have written, but Bible Truth.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #4

Post by WebersHome »

"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1Tim 1:17)

The Greek word translated "immortal" is employed to describe God at Rom 1:23.

Jesus isn't invisible. His crucified dead body was restored to life and taken up to Heaven-- today he's on the job as a man mediating between God and Man; plus: he's returning as a man to take the reins and rule the world. All high priests, especially those in the order of Melchizedek, are selected by God from among men-- living men, not dead men.

A word for "wise" is not in the Greek manuscript. The KJV's translation committee penciled it in so I think we can safely scratch it from their verse so that it conforms with the NIV, the NAS, and the 2011 Catholic Bible.
_

YourWordIsTruth
Student

Post #5

[Replying to WebersHome in post #4]

When Paul wrote to Timothy, Jesus Christ was in heaven, and invisible to everyone

The context as shown in the OP, is about Jesus Christ, and not God the Father

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

YourWordIsTruth wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:21 pm Hello, I cannot understand why this thread is moved to "Random Ramblings", when it is Bible Doctrine, and rightly was in the Theology section? There is nothing "Random" or "Rambling" about what I have written, but Bible Truth.
Moderator Clarification

Please take note of this rule: 3. When you start a new topic in a debate subforum, it must state a clearly defined question(s) for debate.

Rules

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.

OneWay
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by OneWay »

WebersHome wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:58 pm .
"Now unto the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever and ever. Amen." (1Tim 1:17)

The Greek word translated "immortal" is employed to describe God at Rom 1:23.

Jesus isn't invisible. His crucified dead body was restored to life and taken up to Heaven-- today he's on the job as a man mediating between God and Man; plus: he's returning as a man to take the reins and rule the world. All high priests, especially those in the order of Melchizedek, are selected by God from among men-- living men, not dead men.

A word for "wise" is not in the Greek manuscript. The KJV's translation committee penciled it in so I think we can safely scratch it from their verse so that it conforms with the NIV, the NAS, and the 2011 Catholic Bible.
_
I do not speak Greek.

YourWordIsTruth
Student

Post #8

Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 am
YourWordIsTruth wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:21 pm Hello, I cannot understand why this thread is moved to "Random Ramblings", when it is Bible Doctrine, and rightly was in the Theology section? There is nothing "Random" or "Rambling" about what I have written, but Bible Truth.
Moderator Clarification

Please take note of this rule: 3. When you start a new topic in a debate subforum, it must state a clearly defined question(s) for debate.

Rules

Moderator clarifications do not count as a strike against any posters. They serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received and/or are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels a clarification of the rules is required.
Hi thanks. I am new so trying to find my way around this board. As all of my posts are studies on the Holy Trinity and the Individual Persons, where would be the best place to put these? I have just added one to the Bible Study section?

Tcg
Savant

Post #9

Post by Tcg »

YourWordIsTruth wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:23 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:43 am
Moderator Clarification

Rules

Hi thanks. I am new so trying to find my way around this board. As all of my posts are studies on the Holy Trinity and the Individual Persons, where would be the best place to put these? I have just added one to the Bible Study section?

Most of the more popular subforums have a list of guidelines for that specific subforum. These should give you a good idea of what kind of topics would be appropriate for them.

If you plan on creating a debate and using the bible as authoritative evidence you'd probably want to post in "Theology, Doctrine, and Dogma." subforum. You can also post in "Christianity and Apologetics", but in that subforum the bible is not considered authoritative, so you'd need to be prepared to present evidence beyond the bible.

Both of these are in the debate section and as discussed would then need a question for debate. If you don't plan on presenting a question for debate, you may want to stick to "General Chat" or "Random Ramblings."

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom