Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Creationism, Evolution, and other science issues

Moderator: Moderators

John Human
Scholar

Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #1

Post by John Human »

When I lived in Bali, I couldn't help observing the pervasive evidence of belief in demons. And of course demons put in an appearance in the Bible, not to mention in the gargoyles of old cathedrals.

On the other hand, modern science would seem to categorically reject the existence of demons, without a clear reason why, unless it has to do with the axiomatic presuppositions of science's governing ideology of reductionist materialism.

Question: Do demons exist? What evidence is there, for or against?

--
"Love is a force in the universe." -- Interstellar

"God don't let me lose my nerve" -- "Put Your Lights On"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCBS5EtszYI

"Who shall save the human race?"
-- "Wild Goose Chase" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5L45toPpEv0

"A piece is gonna fall on you..."
-- "All You Zombies" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63O_cAclG3A[/i]

Diagoras
Guru

Re: Do demons exist? Can that be tested?

Post #561

Post by Diagoras »

William wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pmWhatever 'angels and demons' really are, they are natural.

Agreed?
If I’m following your argument correctly, then angels and demons are labels for things that are happening inside people’s brains? Is that it?

I would agree.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #562

Post by Jose Fly »

William wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pm You quoted it, did you not?
FYI, quoting a statement is not the same as making the statement.
Well "if indeed they exist" why do you think that they are not able to interact, and from that interaction, data produced, and from that data produced, able to be studied?

You have not given a reason...or if you did, I have missed it...
Because, being supernatural, they can do anything, including interacting in ways that are impossible to detect.
Agreed. The idea of 'demons and angels' stems from putting costumes on the voices which are either 'nice' or 'nasty'.
We can understand that part. What hasn't been explained is why the voices are nasty, nice, helpful, hindrance et al...except re the examples given, through experiences had.
So the labels "demons and angels" are neither accurate nor necessary. Just say "voices".
The analogy you are using is crude. It implies that a hoax is being performed by the brains of Joey, Eleanor and Carl, and that the voices are not real, and cannot be healthily interacted with.
"It is a hoax" may be how Joeys sees his experiences, but most obviously Eleanor does not, and nor does Carl, in his study of the phenomena.

Therefore we cannot simply conclude anything like a "hoax" has taken/is taking place. The "footprints" [voices] could be aspects of the overall psyche of which the primary consciousness of the individual is largely unaware of, as per what Eleanor and Carl have to say about this phenomena, rather than some agency wearing bigfoot slip-on's and stomping around in the fields of a personalities mind set.
You're taking the analogy far too literally. It's simply a means to illustrate the distinction between studying "angels and demons" and studying "voices" that some believe are angels and demons.
Therefore we can leave that on the table - whatever these voices are and whyever they present to the individual as they do, is a natural thing and both Eleanor and Carl explain it in that light.

Whatever 'angels and demons' really are, they are natural.

Agreed?
No, because there's no need to use the terms "angels and demons".
Being apathetic is great....or not. I don't really care.

Clownboat
Savant

Post #563

Post by Clownboat »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:02 pm No, because there's no need to use the terms "angels and demons".
It's a war with words going on. The terms angels and demons are being used, but what is meant is not angels nor demons but something else. In this case, the accurate word 'voices' is being used to mean angels and demons. Why the deception is what I don't understand. Why not say what is meant?

In another thread, to create something is just to give it a name. Such deception I say.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #564

Post by Jose Fly »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:51 pm
Jose Fly wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:02 pm No, because there's no need to use the terms "angels and demons".
It's a war with words going on. The terms angels and demons are being used, but what is meant is not angels nor demons but something else. In this case, the accurate word 'voices' is being used to mean angels and demons. Why the deception is what I don't understand. Why not say what is meant?

In another thread, to create something is just to give it a name. Such deception I say.
Bingo!

I'd like to comment more on this, but I'm very reluctant to discuss mental health issues in forums with members who have those issues. And given the conflation between "angels and demons" and "thoughts in one's head", it's far too easy for comments about angels and demons to be construed as slights against people suffering from mental health issues.

William
Savant

Post #565

Post by William »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #562]
FYI, quoting a statement is not the same as making the statement.
FYI I never stated that it did.
I think it is similar, depending on why one quotes whatever they quote, which is usually to help make a point they think is relevant to their argument.
Why did you use the quote?
Well "if indeed they exist" why do you think that they are not able to interact, and from that interaction, data produced, and from that data produced, able to be studied?

You have not given a reason...or if you did, I have missed it...
Because, being supernatural, they can do anything, including interacting in ways that are impossible to detect.
1: If they exist, then they must be natural - not supernatural...

2: If they interact in ways which are impossible to detect, then what are we talking about?
Agreed. The idea of 'demons and angels' stems from putting costumes on the voices which are either 'nice' or 'nasty'.
We can understand that part. What hasn't been explained is why the voices are nasty, nice, helpful, hindrance et al...except re the examples given, through experiences had.
So the labels "demons and angels" are neither accurate nor necessary. Just say "voices".
If we are just referring to 'voices' how to we reconcile the different types of voices which people say that they hear?
You're taking the analogy far too literally. It's simply a means to illustrate the distinction between studying "angels and demons" and studying "voices" that some believe are angels and demons.
Why didn't you say that rather than defer to an analogy?
It appears to me that demons and angels are also analogy's for nice or nasty voices, but I might be incorrect and they may actually exist as invisible entities which are as natural as anything else in the universe.
What about "studying voices that manifest as nice or nasty that some personalities claim to hear"?
Therefore we can leave that on the table - whatever these voices are and whyever they present to the individual as they do, is a natural thing and both Eleanor and Carl explain it in that light.

Whatever 'angels and demons' really are, they are natural.

Agreed?
No, because there's no need to use the terms "angels and demons".

Whatever 'nice and nasty voices' really are, they are natural.

Agreed?

William
Savant

Post #566

Post by William »

Diagoras wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:00 pm
William wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 3:32 pmWhatever 'angels and demons' really are, they are natural.

Agreed?
If I’m following your argument correctly, then angels and demons are labels for things that are happening inside people’s brains? Is that it?

I would agree.
I don't know whether brains are the source of the voices, or not.
I do know that our bodies senses ordinarily only experience a slim section of the overall spectrum of what exists, so it might be that some brains are picking up signals that are actually there and naturally so - but those signals are ordinarily outside of the sensory perceptions of most humans. [which is why I am using the word 'ordinarily']

This can explain why certain drugs that have been developed can act as buffers to help the brain not pick up signals which ordinarily aren't noticed/experienced. These drugs are not acting as a cure [as some have claimed] but they do allow for individuals to have a more ordinary experience, as long as those individuals continue to take the drugs...

Ozzy_O
Student

Post #567

Post by Ozzy_O »

Jose Fly wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:23 pm
Ozzy_O wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:54 am
Jose Fly wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:09 pm
Ozzy_O wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:21 am Can you give us the link to the peer reviewed science on the big bang, which was observed, measured, reproduced, in a real world laboratory?
Can you do the same for the earth orbiting the sun? Where has that been reproduced in a lab?
It hasn't.....and the Bible says the sun orbits the earth, so there's that
Do you believe the sun orbits the earth?

No, I don't. I believe fundamentalism fueled by inerrancy doctrine is locked into the verse that say it's the sun that rises, sets, and races back around again. The story in Joshua of the sun standing still is the prime proof text

Ken Hamm at Answers in Genesis loves to go on so about inerrant and infallibility with regrds to the genesis creation account, but meh, science proved scripture wrong regarding the passages the earth and flat and egocentricity

Google is your friend, christian man, but don't ask ?'s you don't want thto answer to

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #568

Post by Jose Fly »

William wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:19 am Why did you use the quote?
IIRC, to reply to it.
Not according to the people who believe in them.
2: If they interact in ways which are impossible to detect, then what are we talking about?
That's precisely the point.
If we are just referring to 'voices' how to we reconcile the different types of voices which people say that they hear?
That's not something I'm qualified to speak to.
Why didn't you say that rather than defer to an analogy?
I did, right before I made the analogy.
What about "studying voices that manifest as nice or nasty that some personalities claim to hear"?
My understanding is that researchers have been doing that for some time now.

Agreed?
Sure.

Jose Fly
Guru

Post #569

Post by Jose Fly »

Ozzy_O wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:28 am
Jose Fly wrote:Do you believe the sun orbits the earth?
No, I don't.
On what basis? Have you watched the earth make a complete orbit around the sun, or reproduced it in a lab?

William
Savant

Post #570

Post by William »

[Replying to Jose Fly in post #568]
Not according to the people who believe in them.
Rather, [more truthfully] "Not according to some of the people who believe in them."

Neither Carl Jung or Eleanor Longden considered the voices to being supernatural. They do not label the voices 'angels/demons' but clearly they understand the connection has to do with whether the voices are nasty or nice and in that, realize where notions of angels and demons are sourced...in the actual expressions of the voices.
That's precisely the point.
No. It is not a 'point' at all. It is precisely a question.
That's not something I'm qualified to speak to.
Why not? You appear to be sensible and intelligent. What else qualifies someone to speak to anything which occurs in this universe, such as the hearing of different types of voices?

Agreed?
Sure.
With that, is there anything else to add which you think might still be able to be used to try and argue against my position on the matter?